Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2009, 9:52 pm

Programs: Priority Club Royal Ambassador
Banks/CUs in the SF Bay area?

Anyone know of any banks or credit unions in the San Francisco Bay area with lenient rolled coin deposit rules?
Old Aug 28, 2009, 11:04 pm

Programs: RVT 1K
Originally Posted by dayone
The Fed is the entity that is feeling pain from this program. It has to store the coins and account for them at face value.
And they deserve it!!! ^
Old Aug 28, 2009, 11:10 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by WorldTravelGeek
The bank has a fiduciary responsibility to be accurate in their accounting
It's more than a bank's fiduciary responsibility. Accurate accounting is a bank's financial responsibility.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WorldTravelGeek
Yesterday I saw a $43 "DEBIT ADJUSTMENT" on my BofA account. I didn't recognize it so I did the online chat thing with their reps this morning to see if I could find out what it was. They recommended I call in via the regular customer service line to get a more "senior rep". I called them just now and sure enough that $43 charge was due to a $2000 coin deposit on August 18th being short $43. I explained that it is highly unlikely that it was short as these coins were in rolls purchased from the US Mint. The lady was real nice and offered to let me file a dispute. So, I filed the dispute and she detailed everything, asking exactly how the coins were given to the teller (in 8 x $250 boxes (10 x $25 rolls per box)) that were only opened to make sure the amount of $25 rolls were correct (and that the teller inspected each box to make sure 2 trays of 5 $25 rolls were in each box). I explained I have receipts from the Mint to prove everything. She said that will probably help if they don't find any issues in their internal processes. She also said I should expect a letter within 5 days, but that I can call sometime after Tuesday of next week to get a status (got a case id & everything).

When I asked what types of things they're going to do to research this, since they are coins and probably had to be counted in a machine that was wrong, etc.? She replied "We have methods to detail every step those coins took from the moment you gave them to the teller to when they were given to the Brinks truck, etc." Hopefully things will work out and I'll get the $43 back.

Mind you I was extremely cordial the entire time and so was the BofA rep. Being very calm and respectful is always best when dealing with a faceless customer service rep that is trying her best. You get more flies with honey than vinegar.

I'm sure some folks will say "Well, you should think of the $43 as the cost of doing this deal." I disagree. The bank has a fiduciary responsibility to be accurate in their accounting, as does the Mint. There is a principal factor here that must be stuck to.

Cheers all!!!
Your post prompted me to check our bank accounts. I notice Wachovia has debited a $20 Service Fee on one of the checking accounts on yesterday, the monthly statement date. However, this checking account does not take in any coin deposit! None of the accounts is subj to any monthly service fee either as they are all linked and the combined deposit meet the minimum balance to avoid monthly service charge.

I do suspect Wachovia debit the account for fee on the $2500 coin deposit made a week ago, but to the wrong account. However, such fee is never mentioned to me at the time of deposit, nor is found in any fee schedule. I will call tomorrow to find out exactly what it is.

Last edited by Happy; Aug 28, 2009 at 11:27 pm
Old Aug 28, 2009, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
And I'd bet that The Mine pays much less than that 150 to ship a 'case' of coins. They should have a contract and paying significantly less than that... I'd say half or so, but that's just my guess.
I GUARANTEE that the mint pays significantly less than $150. My shipping rate, as the basic UPS customer, i prices this out around $75. With their volume, I don't see them paying UPS more than $45 per $2,500 box (55 lbs).
Old Aug 29, 2009, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by joe847
Anyone know of any banks or credit unions in the San Francisco Bay area with lenient rolled coin deposit rules?
i haven't had any problems with BofA.

my experience today was that the teller was excited to see some washingtons and jacksons, etc. and didn't know what this "mint" was that i was referring to when asked where i got the coins. um, the us mint ? the what ? ... they're glad to get em so far.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 1:18 am

Programs: Priority Club Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by decibel08

my experience today was that the teller was excited to see some washingtons and jacksons, etc. and didn't know what this "mint" was that i was referring to when asked where i got the coins. um, the us mint ? the what ? ... they're glad to get em so far.
Thanks I will give them a try. I will be careful not to confuse them with too much info about where money comes from. If asked I'll tell 'em a stork delivered them.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by decibel08

That will last one or two more deposits. Then you'll start to get the from them every time they see you walking through the door.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 8:35 am

Machine Short Counts Here Too

I have been the victim of 3 or 4 coin short counts. Now I have also been the subject (not in a bad way) of part of the morning staff meeting at the local branch. Each time I eventually got a proper resolution. One of the two assistant managers has been a real idiot. One time, coming close to calling me a liar. The other assistant manager, has been much fairer to deal with. Each time she corrected my account for the proper amount. Last time, she called in the coin machine company for a full servicing...including cleaning and overhaul. Thursday, someone counted my rolls and helped me dump them in the customer machine.

I agree, that once the coins leave your hands, you are hard pressed to prove a thing.

The advice I was given on the machine was to slow down. I would bring a bag with 20+ pounds and feed it in...not dump, but feed. At one point, suddenly the counter would start moving to the right of the decimal point. And scores of coins were already in the machine and very few dollars registered.

The last round, I scored the rolls at home and put them in one at a time, making sure after each roll an additional $25 was on the meter. Took a little longer, but saved later phone calls. Since my deposits are only equal to what I can carry, it is not too bad to do that after work.

At one point, they offered to accept the rolls, and dump them in the machine for me, but I see reading above, you might still end up short.

OTOH, they do love me at the UPS station. They recognize me. Offer to carry stuff to my car. I'll have to bring them chocolates when I get back from the Boo-Doo.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 8:39 am

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by xyzzy
That will last one or two more deposits. Then you'll start to get the from them every time they see you walking through the door.
Ah yes, the Official US Mint Coin Deal-Teller Psychological Reaction Stages:

Stage 1: (Oh no, here he comes again)

Stage 2: (Why my window? I was about to go home...)

Stage 3: (The first time you try to bring in more than 5k)

Stage 4: (Why does he keep coming in? When is this going to stop?)

Stage 5:

Stage 6:

Stage 7: @:-) (Tells the teller mgr that you are a PITA and has ideas how to deal with you.)

Stage 8: (Because you don't know what's going to hit you.)
Old Aug 29, 2009, 8:50 am

Programs: AS, UA, DL, WN, Marriott, Hilton, Radisson
Pretty funny. My tellers think it's cool still, but their bosses aren't so happy.

Last edited by Dreading; Aug 29, 2009 at 5:46 pm
Old Aug 29, 2009, 10:38 am

Programs: MR Plat Premier, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Southwest CP
already answered in previous post

Last edited by arizonawildcat; Aug 29, 2009 at 11:14 am
Old Aug 30, 2009, 12:52 pm

watch this ;p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzc8vS-ac-g
Old Aug 30, 2009, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA, AA, US, DL, PC Plat, Dollar, Avis, National, SPG, HH Gold, CC Gold
hilarious! It is legal tender.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 2:10 pm
Suspended

that is the funniest video i have seen! so lesson learned - i can pay my mortgage in dollar coins becuas it's a debt, and my bank is required to accept it, correct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.