Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Aug 11, 08, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K; PC RA
Several new coins available as of today!

Four more presidential dollar coins are available as of today. Same deal, max $500 worth of coins (per coin design).

And free S&H. ^

New restriction "to ensure fair and equal access": Orders placed before noon (EDT) on Aug 11th will not be fulfilled.

Coins now available:

James Munroe (Y05)
James Madison (Y04)
Thomas Jefferson (Y03)
John (not Quincy) Adams (Y02)
Old Aug 11, 08, 12:25 pm

I found that all $500 must be one prez. Splitting between two of them creates a $4.96 shipping/handling fee.
Old Aug 11, 08, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by ErthCrclr View Post
I found that all $500 must be one prez. Splitting between two of them creates a $4.96 shipping/handling fee.
I found differently. I found that only John Adams and Thomas Jefferson are shipped free. And you can place an order with 2 boxes of each, for a total of $1000 with free shipping. But add any box of James Madison or James Monroe to your order and you'll get charged the $4.95 shipping.
Old Aug 11, 08, 1:23 pm

Programs: HH (Dia), SPG (Gold), IHG (Plat)
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles View Post
I found differently. I found that only John Adams and Thomas Jefferson are shipped free. And you can place an order with 2 boxes of each, for a total of $1000 with free shipping. But add any box of James Madison or James Monroe to your order and you'll get charged the $4.95 shipping.
I found this also. But you only get charged the $4.95 once, even if you buy both Monroe and Madison. I bought the Jefferson and Adams in individual orders, then placed one order for 2 each of Monroe and Madison. I was charged $4.95 for the Monroe/Madison order, for a total of $1004.95. I'm hoping that the Mint will remove the charge, as it's clearly counter to what their website states, but $5.00 for 1000 miles still seems pretty good to me (but hey, what do I know? I'm a newbie here. )

We have 2 FF credit cards, one in my husband's name and one in mine. I made one account for each of us and purchased $2000.00 of coins with each (different usernames, different emails, different credit cards, but same shipping address). I hope it works!

Thanks very much for this opportunity. ^
-kirax2
Old Aug 11, 08, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles View Post
I found no restrictions against doing this in 2 sep orders of 2 each, or 2 charges to come of $500 each.

I had wanted to do it together but made a mistake so I did the second coin next and it went thru with a dif confirmation number.

(I also think $5 for 1000 miles is too much so no, dont do that!)
Old Aug 11, 08, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post

(I also think $5 for 1000 miles is too much so no, dont do that!)
Actually it isnt terrible. 1000 miles for $5 = 25,000 miles for $125. So for $125 you get a free domestic tkt or for $250 you get a free tkt to Europe, that is if yu can find space at the 25k or 50k Rates. Or use an SPG Amex and youll have 25k in pts that should get you free nights that will outweigh the $125 spent especially at Cats 3 and up where for a Cat3 its 28k for 4 nights and you get the 5th night free added to that. Ive got a Cat3 booked for 10 days in Oct whos rate was $470 per night.In that case $125 brings you a room with a $2350 price tag, Id say its very much worth the $5 S&H
Old Aug 11, 08, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
I'm confused as to why you haven't done 2 boxes of each of the four presidents? I just did it in one order and on the summary page it said the total was $2000, even though I'd included Madison and Monroe and earlier it noted $4.95 in the drop down menu.
Old Aug 11, 08, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
I'm confused as to why you haven't done 2 boxes of each of the four presidents? I just did it in one order and on the summary page it said the total was $2000, even though I'd included Madison and Monroe and earlier it noted $4.95 in the drop down menu.
Based on this I just went back in to order the Madison and Monore and the $4.95 shows up but there isnt any $4.95 in the bill area for S&H, so all 4 Coins are free of S&H

Last edited by craz; Aug 11, 08 at 8:21 pm
Old Aug 11, 08, 7:41 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat 2MM, HH Diamond, WoH Explorist, SPG Gold
I missed out on Washington and Adams, but I just ordered 2 boxes of Jefferson coins. The 500 *points I get will be great, but I am looking forward to putting these coins in circulation.
Old Aug 11, 08, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Ordered $500 Monroe and $500 Madison - another 1,000 DL miles and $1,000 closer to another MQM bonus. Shipping disappeared at the ordering screen.
Old Aug 11, 08, 8:20 pm

Programs: HH (Dia), SPG (Gold), IHG (Plat)
Originally Posted by icurhere2 View Post
Ordered $500 Monroe and $500 Madison - another 1,000 DL miles and $1,000 closer to another MQM bonus. Shipping disappeared at the ordering screen.
Let's hope they take off the shipping when they ship mine!

Personally, I did order 2 boxes each of all four presidents. At first I thought the shipping charge was due to ordering different presidents together, so I ordered 2 of Jefferson and 2 of Adams as separate orders. Then I discovered that the shipping charge existed on both Monroe and Madison, but was the same whether I ordered them separately or combined them, so I combined them. Regardless, at least it seems to be fixed now. ^^

Also placed another order after posting this morning; checked the mail and found a HiltonHHonors card I applied for last month. Whew, that's a lot of money...I hope there aren't any problems! (And that they don't cancel my orders!)

-kirax2
Old Aug 11, 08, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
We had dinner with my inlaws this evening and they, as closet coin collectors, expressed an interest in getting hold of some of these coins too. I, as a frequent flyer mile collector, expressed an interest in 'paying' for them with my SPG card.

As I've ordered two boxes of each of the four have I just bought my full allocation or is just limited to two boxes of each president per order?
Old Aug 11, 08, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by craz View Post
Actually it isnt terrible. 1000 miles for $5 = 25,000 miles for $125. So for $125 you get a free domestic tkt or for $250 you get a free tkt to Europe, that is if yu can find space at the 25k or 50k Rates. Or use an SPG Amex and youll have 25k in pts that should get you free nights that will outweigh the $125 spent especially at Cats 3 and up where for a Cat3 its 28k for 4 nights and you get the 5th night free added to that. Ive got a Cat3 booked for 10 days in Oct whos rate was $470 per night.In that case $125 brings you a room with a $2350 price tag, Id say its very much worth the $5 S&H
I guess you are correct, although with taxes and fees on some flights, it's not $125 or $250. I can get NWA flights to EU but the taxes there add another $70 and so I kinda would like to keep the COST of my miles earned to a minimum.

How about $3/1000?
Old Aug 11, 08, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: LAS; 1991 - 2010: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: Marriott Titanium. Life: UA 540K mi., United & Admirals Clubs, Marr. Gold
Originally Posted by gwarboy (Post #376) View Post
Four more presidential dollar coins are available as of today. Same deal, max $500 worth of coins (per coin design).

And free S&H. ^

Coins now available:

James Monroe (Y05)
James Madison (Y04)
Thomas Jefferson (Y03)
John Adams (Y02)
Thanks for letting us know. $2,000 order: Adams, Jefferson, Madison, Monroe.

As before, shipping was indeed waived on final check-out.

“Order Status: Your order request is on hold.
Item Status: In stock and reserved”
Old Aug 11, 08, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
I guess you are correct, although with taxes and fees on some flights, it's not $125 or $250. I can get NWA flights to EU but the taxes there add another $70 and so I kinda would like to keep the COST of my miles earned to a minimum.
the only problem with that is a person has to pay the taxes whether they pay for the flight or use miles. Where BTW can I purchase a coach tkt to Europe for less than $320, $70 txs your # and $250 for S&H?

use them for free Hotel nights and you dont pay the taxes, which can be up there BUD is 23% as well is most of Europe

Now you and I hav eour ways to get pts or miles for nothing, but most people I would venture dont have that going for them

Search this Thread
Search Engine: