Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Aug 22, 2009, 3:15 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by sbm12
Anyone else get a letter from the mint? I had one at my PO Box this morning. I was actually a bit worried until I found that I've been invited to participate in a survey about the program. I haven't done the survey yet; I'll reportback if there is anything interesting.
Thanks for the heads up... I told my wife & she wasn't AS concerned as she would have been when she saw the letter when she got the mail. We also got another Amex in the mail today (for churning purposes) along with a post card from a debt counselor titled 'are credit cards ruining your life.' I thought it was very amusing & she didn't... imagine that
Old Aug 22, 2009, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thehawk75
I just to a letter from Chase:

Yeah... I just funded a bank account with a Citi card for almost $90K
And... I've got about $20K in coins I haven't paid for yet (hey statement hasn't been closed yet).

What I don't get though... in terms of this 'high balance' rational they go by. I've been running huge high balances since last year, when I first found out about the coins and you could multiple order the presidents, plus there was the AMEX TC deal going on where I was always buying about $10K a month in TC's. Point is nothing has changed. It's not like 'suddenly' I'm running high balances.

Stupid banks lose money because of stupid bubble-home buyers who watched one-too-many episodes of 'Flip that House', but, banks decide to punish a mileage/points CC customer instead.
Chase may have done an Account Review on your credit report(s) recently. It used to be only AMEX frequently perform account reviews, like every 3 months, shown on your credit reports in the soft inquiry section. Now they all do it quite frequently. Chase sent me a letter to close a Marriott business card which was inactive for 6 months. I was going to cancel it when the card passed its mandatory 6 months holding time. Chase did it for me a few weeks before my taking action.
Old Aug 22, 2009, 4:51 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
If the money has been verified how can it be reversed? Does Citibank (or whoever) make a habit of transferring funds that aren't there?
The concern is fraud. It's not that the funds weren't in the bank account, but that the owner of the account may not have authorized the transfer to the card issuer.

When the card issuer pulls funds from your bank they gain confidence through experience that it is legitimately your account. For example, Citi limits the amount that they will pull for a new cardholder, and you may be unable to pay online the full amount of the first cycle's bill.

In contrast, when you push money to the card issuer using your bank's online billpay or a paper check the card issuer does not have the same assurance that these funds are drawn on your account. If you send funds from the same account that is setup to pull online payments the card issuer should be more confident, but I'm not sure if they even check. That's why there is a provision to delay applying payments.

However, the card issuer is still at risk. SunTrust bank allows us 60 days to dispute an "unauthorized" billpay transfer from our checking account, and they are willing to extend that under some circumstances. This suggests that banks can reverse fraudulent payments for a longer period, and this would leave the payee holding the problem.
Old Aug 22, 2009, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA, AA, US, DL, PC Plat, Dollar, Avis, National, SPG, HH Gold, CC Gold
Woo Hoo my first order just shipped and I should get it by Wed.
I just ordered my second.
Old Aug 22, 2009, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mia
The concern is fraud. It's not that the funds weren't in the bank account, but that the owner of the account may not have authorized the transfer to the card issuer.

When the card issuer pulls funds from your bank they gain confidence through experience that it is legitimately your account. For example, Citi limits the amount that they will pull for a new cardholder, and you may be unable to pay online the full amount of the first cycle's bill.

In contrast, when you push money to the card issuer using your bank's online billpay or a paper check the card issuer does not have the same assurance that these funds are drawn on your account. If you send funds from the same account that is setup to pull online payments the card issuer should be more confident, but I'm not sure if they even check. That's why there is a provision to delay applying payments.

However, the card issuer is still at risk. SunTrust bank allows us 60 days to dispute an "unauthorized" billpay transfer from our checking account, and they are willing to extend that under some circumstances. This suggests that banks can reverse fraudulent payments for a longer period, and this would leave the payee holding the problem.
Gotcha. Thanks for the explanation. As far as verifying the account, Amex did tell me that they call to confirm with the bank on transfer payments of 10k or more, so that does make sense. I guess if it's going to cause trouble I can always request to make split payments with the vendor to keep from having to prepay large amounts.
Old Aug 22, 2009, 5:40 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
I did. I spoke with Amex a few nights ago. They were feeding me some line about how their exposure actually increases since in the event my bank were to reverse the transfer (and I had already spent the money on a CC purchase) I would owe double my credit limit. But that didn't jibe with what they were telling me about their holding the funds for up to 7 days to verify the transfer with the bank before it would appear in my available credit limit. If the money has been verified how can it be reversed? Does Citibank (or whoever) make a habit of transferring funds that aren't there?
CC operators (esp AMEX) are faceless robots who parrot back what the computer tells them. You can't reach a human via mail or phone to look logically at a situation and do anything beyond what a programmer has programmed. I suffered numerous credit line reductions to unusable levels (like $500) from all the big guys (Amex, BOA, Citi) because I had taken advantage of some 0.0% offers from other players. Mind you, I haven't missed a payment in 30+ years. It was a waste of time to call or write in protest with hard copy backup, every "appeal" was denied because FICO took a hit.

They are all thieves, I suspect this latest opportunity and pre-paying is so new and rare that its not programmed therefore they are trying to pull answers and logic out of thin air...
Old Aug 23, 2009, 8:52 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott LT Titanium, AA EXP, Avis Chairmans
I ordered 10K in NA coins and just got the shipping notice; three tracking numbers. Two numbers don't look like regular UPS numbers (all numbers with no 1Z in it) and the link forwards me to the USPS. The third number is a regular UPS tracking number.

I've ordered 5K lots before and it was all via UPS. Seems like for 10K orders they use a different method?
Old Aug 23, 2009, 9:00 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Just received a 9k shipment order with what looks like a UPS tracking number.

FWIW all my orders have been shipped via UPS.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 9:06 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by yngdiego
I ordered 10K in NA coins and just got the shipping notice; three tracking numbers. Two numbers don't look like regular UPS numbers (all numbers with no 1Z in it) and the link forwards me to the USPS. The third number is a regular UPS tracking number.

I've ordered 5K lots before and it was all via UPS. Seems like for 10K orders they use a different method?
If you didn't bring this up, I would not have even checked.... My orders on the 14th and 18th were all shipped by UPS (the tracking link is directed to the UPS website). Now this is interesting - that it looks like they have processed a lot of orders on a Sunday! We all know there are a huge backlog, but are they that desperate to ship them to us and probably pay the contractors the holiday/overtime rate?
Old Aug 23, 2009, 9:33 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by buschoi
If you didn't bring this up, I would not have even checked.... My orders on the 14th and 18th were all shipped by UPS (the tracking link is directed to the UPS website). Now this is interesting - that it looks like they have processed a lot of orders on a Sunday! We all know there are a huge backlog, but are they that desperate to ship them to us and probably pay the contractors the holiday/overtime rate?
The vendor may have done that on his own. Amazon and Lands End often show weekend shipping dates.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 6:41 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by buschoi
Now this is interesting - that it looks like they have processed a lot of orders on a Sunday! We all know there are a huge backlog, but are they that desperate to ship them to us and probably pay the contractors the holiday/overtime rate?
This is typical; I see a lot of orders coming from Sundays. Since I'd never seen a Friday night shipment, I just assumed their second/third shifts worked Sunday and made Fri-Sat their weekend, as lots of production facilities do. However, I got a shipping note on Friday and Sunday night this weekend.

Originally Posted by yngdiego

If you do a quick search, you'll see that the 3 tracking #'s are common. The third one is the obvious UPS one and, as far as I remember, we haven't figured out what the other 2 are for.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Taking "the kids" to the bank

Old Aug 24, 2009, 8:09 am

Programs: WN,DL,BA
i was suppose to receive 13k in coins today, i only got 10500!!! is there another box coming in a few days?? any experiences????
Old Aug 24, 2009, 8:26 am
Original Member

You can see each package online. That will allow you to see the progress of your "in transit" package.

go to Track Order
Enter the Highlighted Link for Tracking #
Once you get to the UPS screen, scroll way down to Show Packages in this Shipment

Once you arrive at this new screen, toward the bottom, you will see a new highlighted section with multiple tracking numbers (one for each box of $2,500).

Let us know if it works. It has eased my mind when I only receive one of my two packages (the next one arrives the next day).
Old Aug 24, 2009, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Found another place to use the coins:

We were on a road trip this weekend and a RV place only accepted cash, so naturally we gave them some coins.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.