Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Jul 24, 08, 3:41 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
This usually happens to others, not me.

I ordered 6/13, was backordered and then on July 4 I get an email my order is shipped. I checked the tracking numbers online and no info was found. Then I went on a short vacation and totally forgot about it. Today I received the credit card bill and I remembered the $500 charge. Called US Mint and a rep wanted me to fill out a Certification of Non-Receipt form to mail back to US mint....I said, never mind, I am just going to dispute the charge with the credit card company. Can't do that until next week since it is my wife's credit card and she will be back then. So, I call back the US Mint and another agent told me he can't do anything until 30 days after shipping...August 4. I ask why the previous agent wanted me to proceed with the CNR form? Response "He was Level 1, I am Level 2"....I am not making this up!

This turned out to be a frustrating experience. I will wait until my wife comes back to dispute the $500 charge....and who knows, my order may magically show up!

Dealing with the goverment is so.....efficient

Good thing we already got the NW Visa bonus miles!
Old Jul 24, 08, 3:44 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
Which website did you use to check the tracking numbers? @:-)

Originally Posted by gpapadop View Post
This usually happens to others, not me.

I ordered 6/13, was backordered and then on July 4 I get an email my order is shipped. I checked the tracking numbers online and no info was found. Then I went on a short vacation and totally forgot about it. Today I received the credit card bill and I remembered the $500 charge. Called US Mint and a rep wanted me to fill out a Certification of Non-Receipt form to mail back to US mint....I said, never mind, I am just going to dispute the charge with the credit card company. Can't do that until next week since it is my wife's credit card and she will be back then. So, I call back the US Mint and another agent told me he can't do anything until 30 days after shipping...August 4. I ask why the previous agent wanted me to proceed with the CNR form? Response "He was Level 1, I am Level 2"....I am not making this up!

This turned out to be a frustrating experience. I will wait until my wife comes back to dispute the $500 charge....and who knows, my order may magically show up!

Dealing with the goverment is so.....efficient

Good thing we already got the NW Visa bonus miles!
Old Jul 24, 08, 3:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Comment on the coins:

1) Chuck e Cheese in Allen TX doesn't accept them - the 14 year old at the counter yesterday said they look like play money and her manager concurred with her expert judgment ...?

2) This dead president on the back looks a lot like Lennin after a donut binge, giving the coin a foreign look.

3) Continuing with the foreign look, the points of Liberty's torch on the front almost look like a communist era (those were the days) star

4) I just remembered, one of the reasons I can't live in England until the place goes cashless is because those pound coins kept making holes in my pockets or caused my trousers to fall to the floor when running. Thankfully, the u.s. dollar coin is nice and light.

All in all, it's a good deal. I hope it really catches on and that they start mass producing it.
Old Jul 24, 08, 3:50 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
>>>>>Which website did you use to check the tracking numbers?

In my email I had 3 numbers. I popped the first one into google and came back with FedEx and no info was found on that number.
The other two numbers nothing was coming up on google
Old Jul 24, 08, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

try dhl.com and usps.com
Old Jul 24, 08, 3:54 pm
hs1

They are shipped via DHL then delivered by USPS.

You can track it using the second set of numbers (11 digits) via dhl.com
Old Jul 24, 08, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by gpapadop View Post
I said, never mind, I am just going to dispute the charge with the credit card company.
The bank will require that you attempt to resolve it with the merchant first. Technically you can't just dispute out of convenience. Since the US Mint has a process for getting a refund it's probably in your interest to follow it.
Old Jul 24, 08, 11:13 pm

I used the second set of numbers on dhl.com, not valid

I used the third set of numbers on dhl.com and I got:

7/9/2008 7:25 am Arrived at DHL facility. Romulus, MI
2:25 am Depart Facility Romulus, MI
7/8/2008 11:55 pm Transit through DHL facility Romulus, MI
5:33 pm Depart Facility Wilmington, OH
1:42 pm Processed at DHL Location. Wilmington, OH
1:27 pm In transit. Wilmington, OH

The package at least is in the same state as I am....

Some dhl guy got a bonus

the other two numbers are not valid anywhere.

what a hassle! You bet I am not ordering coins from the govt again!
Old Jul 29, 08, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: LAS; 1991 - 2010: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: Marriott Titanium. Life: UA 540K mi., United & Admirals Clubs, Marr. Gold
My tracking number has twenty digits (all numerals) followed by the words "Parcel Post" (all capitalized).

Neither of these websites accept my number. Any ideas where else this might work?

http://trkcnfrm1.smi.usps.com/PTSInternetWeb/index.jsp

https://interactive1.dhl.com/TrackRe...ller/anontrack
Old Jul 29, 08, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer View Post
My tracking number has twenty digits (all numerals) followed by the words "Parcel Post" (all capitalized).
Twenty digits sounds like USPS. My order online had a number of rows that looked like tracking numbers - I was lucky enough to dump the first into DHL and it worked.
Old Aug 2, 08, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: LAS; 1991 - 2010: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: Marriott Titanium. Life: UA 540K mi., United & Admirals Clubs, Marr. Gold
The $1000 in bronze dollar coins shipped Wednesday 16 July 2008 arrived at my P.O. Box on Friday, 1 August 2008.

After all these stories of boxes left on doorsteps, I was surprised that the U.S. Mint bothered sending two packages registered mail at $11.05 each for my nephew-in-law and me. The U.S. Postal service helpfully allowed me to sign on behalf of my nephew, so I didn't have to drag him down to the post office or even get him to designate me as his agent on the receipt form. I guess that's because I'm the boxholder and the clerk knows me.

At the Saturday farmer's market my wife got the first $250 in circulation, to popular effect, as they are the first such coins in the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands ("the CNMI").

I can't wait until our "state" quarter is issued next year. We're the last on the list.

I hope the Mint continues its direct circulation program. I wouldn't do it, though, if I had to pay postage.
Old Aug 2, 08, 4:29 am

Programs: UA nothing (former multi-year CO Platinum), AA 1M Gold, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer View Post

Neither of these websites accept my number. Any ideas where else this might work?

http://trkcnfrm1.smi.usps.com/PTSInternetWeb/index.jsp

https://interactive1.dhl.com/TrackRe...ller/anontrack
In my experience, the US Postal service tracking site usually does not work until several days after the item has shipped, which is sometimes after the item is delivered. Even on priority mail packages.
Old Aug 6, 08, 9:41 am

There is a similar opportunity in the UK - the Royal Mint is offering £5 Coins to commemorate Queen Elizabeth I. Post free within the UK, but only 9 per order are allowed. Sadly they don't accept Amex, but Visa/Mastercard are ok.

http://www.royalmint.com/
Old Aug 6, 08, 11:37 am

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
Deposited $475 in rolled dollar coins at my bank yesterday with no complaints nor fees.

So when will we be able to get the next president?
Old Aug 6, 08, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Helena Handbaskets View Post
Deposited $475 in rolled dollar coins at my bank yesterday with no complaints nor fees.

So when will we be able to get the next president?

the question is will the next 1 also have free S&H? @ $7.95 for S&H @ 1 1/2 cents per pt or mile Ill pass on it

Search this Thread
Search Engine: