Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2009, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
What does your family eat, that you can carry $5000 (95 pounds) and your kid can carry $2500 (47 pounds)??
Spinach. We're apparently distant relatives of Ppeye.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
Originally Posted by xyzzy
Spinach. We're apparently distant relatives of Ppeye.
LOL!^ I'm just happy that the xyzzy clan does not reside in the same part of NJ as I do, otherwise it would get 'crowded' up at the banks here!
Old Aug 21, 2009, 10:07 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by ingy
I hope it was one of your customers that happens to be on FT that tipped you to the US Mint deal.

May all your deliveries and flights go smoothly.

Are there other drivers in on the Gig as well?
Our UPS driver doesn't get it. He thinks we order lots of batteries! Like maybe we don't have electricity and are running the house on triple A's.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 10:27 am
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ingy
Are there other drivers in on the Gig as well?
Mine will be soon. He asked for more details this morning and I wrote down the urls for him.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 10:30 am
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lili
We have folk on this thread leaving half the coins in the car while they unload the first 50-500 lbs.
Plus one who didn't shut her trunk properly after leaving Union Bank and got paged in LA Fitness because it was open in the parking lot....with boxes no one knew contained $5K . Yesterday UPS driver showed up with an unscheduled delivery while I was leaving for Disneyland so the coins spent the day in the Mickey garage.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by mikeef
We've got it even better. I leave the kids with my wife and take the coins to the bank in a stroller.

Mike
Too much symbolism here...
Old Aug 21, 2009, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by aviators99
Too much symbolism here...
Nonsense. It'll take more than a few thousand dollars for her to get rid of me.

Mike
Old Aug 21, 2009, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA Advantage Platinum, United 1K, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
Just got back from depositing $2,000 unrolled dollar coins at Chase and was told by the teller they would no longer accept dollar coin deposits. Didn't discuss it any further with the teller, I'll just go to another one of the many branches in my area. If I get more static, I'll escalate the matter to management.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by MichaelColey

Perhaps we should put together a list of credit cards that offer various perks for spending a specific amount per year?

SPG Amex: SPG Gold with $30k in spend
HH Surpass Amex: HH Diamond with $40k in spend
US Airways Mastercard: 10k EQM with $25k spend

Another thing to keep in mind is those cards that offer double rewards for the first 30, 60, 90 days, etc.
Delta Platinum AMEX- 10K MQM's @ 25K, the same @ 50K
Delta RESERVE AMEX - 15K RDM & MQM @ 30K, the same @ 60K
Old Aug 21, 2009, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by kman73
The best reason for multiple deposits and banks is actually true, Many banks wont take more than $2K at a time do to vault space limitations, I do it so I don't overwhelm any single branch.

A few weeks ago I had to visit 4 different Citibank branches in my local area to deposit $6K in coins. The deposits were $500, $1500, $1250, and $1750. Different attitudes between branches, though it seemed the last one took the biggest amount with no hassle at all, teller didn't ask a single question about the coins, she couldn't have cared less.

Today I asked a bank manager at Chase about opening up an account for depositing LOTS or coins, she said no problem, there's no policy at Chase prohibiting large deposits (Chase recently took over all WaMu's in California and seem eager to make a good impression with their newly aquired customers) She also admitted knowing about this coin-fest and how so many people are taking advantage of the points/rewards free-for-all.

$12K on the way. Easy for me to receive delivery of them, since I'm a UPS driver. I get them as soon as I show up for work.

K
Keep telling my driver about it. The 2-3x weekly deliveries to the office give him his daily workout... or so he says. Luckily he redirects the packages from my house to my office which is great!
Old Aug 21, 2009, 12:32 pm

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Originally Posted by ejs621
Just got back from depositing $2,000 unrolled dollar coins at Chase and was told by the teller they would no longer accept dollar coin deposits. Didn't discuss it any further with the teller, I'll just go to another one of the many branches in my area. If I get more static, I'll escalate the matter to management.
Where are you located?
Old Aug 21, 2009, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by mikeef
Nonsense. It'll take more than a few thousand dollars for her to get rid of me.

Mike
Actually, I was talking about you wheeling your precious coins in a baby carriage, but yours is funny too...
Old Aug 21, 2009, 12:38 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ejs621
I think this came down from management. A poster on Fatwallet reported that Chase had sent out a memo talking about the coin deal and saying management was discussing whether they were going to continue to allow dollar coin deposits. Chase has been more and more sour about it to me. See what happens to you at other branches and let us know. I guess Chase's attitude is, providing service to customers costs money and they're in business to collect interest and fees, not to provide any service in exchange for the interest and fees. Plenty of other banks to go to.

I went to US Bank to make a credit card payment, paid with a few rolls of coins and got talking about how Chase had a bad attitude about my coins. They did a sales job on me to try to get me to open an account, and succeeded; my wife and I opened accounts last week. They have a coin counter and so I took a box in last night to see how it would go. We did get a sensor error, but they were not the least bit sour about dealing with it, nor about the prospect of my bringing in a couple thousand coins at a time.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA Advantage Platinum, United 1K, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by mrpickles
Where are you located?
Suburb of Chicago.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
I think this came down from management. A poster on Fatwallet reported that Chase had sent out a memo talking about the coin deal and saying management was discussing whether they were going to continue to allow dollar coin deposits. Chase has been more and more sour about it to me. See what happens to you at other branches and let us know. I guess Chase's attitude is, providing service to customers costs money and they're in business to collect interest and fees, not to provide any service in exchange for the interest and fees. Plenty of other banks to go to.
Now that Chase has moved into California and taken over all the WaMu's, they've been fairly nice there. In fact one of the easiest deposits I made, plus, no worries about some debit after the fact that B of A tries to pull.

Brought in $10K to deposit to my Chase Account (a NY account) at a former WaMu in California, and, they actually generate a bank check that gets deposited to your account Chase NY account (guess it has to do with them not having fully integrated their systems yet). Point being, they've added another level of ambiguity to tying the coins to the account (i.e. my deposit to my Chase account is from a WaMu bank check, not a bunch of coins). Makes that after the fact debit nonsense that BofA pulls based upon 'deposit weight' a little more challenging...

At any rate, even after this deposit, bank manager said I was welcome to bring in more, they have plenty of room in the vault (big branch).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.