Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Jul 17, 08, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
email re. 1st order cam yesterday saying they will arrive soon.

My visa card was charged as a purchase:

07/16/08 Us Mint Coin Sales-dr 800-872-6468 Dc $500.00

I guess I'll wait. Should I order more now or what? Any reason why not?
Old Jul 17, 08, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K; PC RA
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Should I order more now or what? Any reason why not?
Primarily, the Mint's site is not currently taking new orders for these.

That may change at some point, as the last few messages on this thread indicate they recently (and evidently only temporarily) accepted a few more orders.
Old Jul 17, 08, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: LAS; 1991 - 2010: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: Marriott Titanium. Life: UA 540K mi., United & Admirals Clubs, Marr. Gold
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer (Post #319) View Post
One order (#2) shipped today, with a tracking number. One (#4, ordered a week after the first) supposedly shipped at some time in the past -- I hadn't checked the U.S. Mint website accounts previously -- without a tracking number. Neither has yet been charged to my credit card, or if so, is not showing online as having posted. One order (#1, a day before the next two) is pending [subsequently shipped with tracking number], and one (#3) was cancelled.
Within a day of shipment and posting of a tracking number on the U.S. Mint website, e-mails were sent to the account holders. The Starwood AmEx of one was charged as a regular purchase, the Navy Federal Credit Union Visa transaction of the other is not available online yet, though the account credit limit has been adjusted $500.

No e-mail or credit debit for the account supposedly shipped at some time in the past without a tracking number.
Old Jul 17, 08, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: LAS; 1991 - 2010: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: Marriott Titanium. Life: UA 540K mi., United & Admirals Clubs, Marr. Gold
Originally Posted by cepheid (Post #11) View Post
Hmm, only 200 boxes to get lifetime Gold on AA... who'll be the next PresidentialCoinGuy?
Two boxes are $500. So two hundred boxes would cost $50,000. How could one get lifetime first-tier status on AA for that price? Did you mean two thousand boxes, or $500,000? How does one get a million miles for that?
Old Jul 18, 08, 2:50 am

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer View Post
Did you mean two thousand boxes, or $500,000? How does one get a million miles for that?
I meant 2000 boxes, as was noted only five posts after the one you quoted. And I guess I meant 2000 orders, which is 4000 boxes. In any case, clearly my math was way off... a MONTH ago. Was it necessary to relive it?
Old Jul 18, 08, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry. I just went back to the original post to see if there were any way to try to re-order the family member's attempt that got cancelled, or the one with no tracking number and no credit card charge.

If the original poster eventually edits his post to add links to the next presidents in the series, I hope he will please not delete the link to the original offer.

Oh, the charge on the Visa for our family's other order shipped on 16 July 08 has also shown up online, about six hours later than the American Express posting. Again, as a regular charge, not a cash advance.

So it looks like we'll have to settle for $1000 with President John Quincy Adams. That will still be a lot of circulation in the farmer's markets of Saipan, CNMI, USA.
Old Jul 18, 08, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: OnePass
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer View Post
If the original poster eventually edits his post to add links to the next presidents in the series, I hope he will please not delete the link to the original offer.
Sure thing SPN Lifer, I will leave the original link in the original post. And if the US Mint changes it, I will try to update it.

^ Here's to hoping that the US Mint continues this "Direct Ship Program" when the next coin is released ^
Old Jul 18, 08, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just got my coins and they are beautiful. Even better, the charged was entered right after statement cutoff, so I have a month of free use. Originally I hopped on this deal simply for the miles, but now I will try to circulate the coins. I think the key for success here is for us to tap into the program responsibly and not kill the "golden goose".
Old Jul 19, 08, 5:42 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
I spoke with customer service yesterday since mine supposedly shipped on July 4th (odd). I was told that they aren't concerned about my order until August 4th...so a month of no show for them is not uncommon apparently.
Old Jul 19, 08, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA Gold/1MM
I got $500 worth of coins yesterday.

I've never seen these coins in circulation before. It would be weird paying for something and getting a weird look in case someone thinks it fake
Old Jul 19, 08, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What does the bank do with the coins if we simply turn them to the bank? Does the bank give them out as cash or when people need change?
Old Jul 19, 08, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Got mine Thursday - taking some to Vegas tomorrow . . .
Old Jul 19, 08, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry, SW A-List Preferred
I found a new use for them: my local McDonald's drive-thru where they just dropped the coffee price back to 69 cents (74 with taxes) so I use a $1 coin. I feel bad enough paying 74 cents. I would feel even worse paying by credit card
Old Jul 19, 08, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Million-Miler
Originally Posted by icurhere2 View Post
Got mine Thursday - taking some to Vegas tomorrow . . .
I'm off to Vegas tomorrow tool Also binging coins.
Old Jul 19, 08, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA Gold/1MM
I was trying to think of where I could use these coins to pay for stuff, which normally don't take credit card. I've come up with
1) Donation to my church/charity
2) Lottery tickets ( Got the idea from the guys in this thread who are using these coins in Vegas)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: