Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Jul 15, 08, 9:00 pm

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
Originally Posted by pgary View Post
Would most appreciate your telling us if the charge was for a purchase or for a cash advance (it really is the latter), and on which card.
purchase, VISA
Old Jul 15, 08, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gwarboy View Post
I had that happen as well.

Instead of usps.com, try pasting the so-called USPS tracking number that they give you into the DHL.com tracking screen, and you should get a hit there.
That's what I did, and it worked.
DHL delivers the package from its origin to your local post office, and the USPS takes over from there.
Thank you. I just got a shipping notice and couldn't find my package, and remembered reading your post. Voila! My package is in transit. I signed up for email notification for any status change. I am really looking forward to these coins.
Old Jul 15, 08, 10:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Mine are finally on their way too. Better late than never.
Old Jul 16, 08, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: LAS; 1991 - 2010: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: Marriott Titanium. Life: UA 540K mi., United & Admirals Clubs, Marr. Gold
Originally Posted by pgary (Post #302) View Post
Since some of you have actually received the coins, presumably your credit card was charged. Would most appreciate your telling us if the charge was for a purchase or for a cash advance (it really is the latter), and on which card.

Thanks.
(Emphasis by CTM.)
Originally Posted by ChaseTheMiles (Post #311) View Post
Is that a statement of fact or a mistyped question?
It looks to me like a statement of opinion concerning proper factual categorization.

I have four family members with U.S. Mint accounts, two different surnames, all with the same P.O. Box.

One order (#2) shipped today, with a tracking number. One (#4, ordered a week after the first) supposedly shipped at some time in the past -- I hadn't checked the U.S. Mint website accounts previously -- without a tracking number. Neither has yet been charged to my credit card, or if so, is not showing online as having posted. One order (#1, a day before the next two) is pending, and one (#3) was cancelled.

Investigating the cancellation, I noticed this language at the beginning of the order receipt:
Thank you, we have received your order. If for any
reason
your order cannot be processed, we reserve the
right to cancel.
If you placed your order under the "wait
list" notice, inventory may not be available to fill your
order. Orders placed before the published on-sale time
will not be accepted.

To update credit card information on this order you must
call 1-800-USA-MINT. You may track your order at
www.usmint.gov/catalog. If your order contains several
items, it may be processed in multiple shipments.
(Emphasis added.)

So as far as cancellation goes, I guess we're just randomly out of luck. Good thing my family placed four orders.
Old Jul 16, 08, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: LAS; 1991 - 2010: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: Marriott Titanium. Life: UA 540K mi., United & Admirals Clubs, Marr. Gold
As I was posting, order #1 shipped and got a tracking number.

There must be an early morning shift, or online updates proceed around the clock.

Needless to say, save copies.
Old Jul 16, 08, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA 1P DL GM HH PP
Received an email that my Jun 21 order was shipped 15 Jul from Ohio via DHL. VISA shows it as a purchase vice cash advance which makes sense since you can buy all sorts of items including non legal tender from the mint.
Old Jul 16, 08, 4:37 pm

I placed order yesterday for 250 coins. And today I received an email stating that the item is back ordered and it is expected to to be available on July 28 th. Hoping they won't cancel my order.
Old Jul 16, 08, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
Originally Posted by easygoing77 View Post
I placed order yesterday for 250 coins. And today I received an email stating that the item is back ordered and it is expected to to be available on July 28 th. Hoping they won't cancel my order.
Just curious.....how were you able to place an order yesterday

I've been checking the site and the "Product Not Available" and no ordering link notice has been showing for the past few weeks or so.
Old Jul 16, 08, 5:45 pm

Programs: Delta KM/DM, Hyatt GP Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by bk3day View Post
Just curious.....how were you able to place an order yesterday

I've been checking the site and the "Product Not Available" and no ordering link notice has been showing for the past few weeks or so.
Just came across this thread. The first post was updated yesterday:

UPDATE JULY 15 A.M.: Orders are being accepted again.

UPDATE JULY 15 P.M.: Product is not available.
Old Jul 16, 08, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by easygoing77 View Post
I knew I should have jumped on board when it went available again! I foolishly decided to wait until I got home.
Old Jul 16, 08, 10:08 pm

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
Originally Posted by gwarboy View Post
DHL delivers the package from its origin to your local post office, and the USPS takes over from there.
Yes, it was definitely USPS that handled the final leg of the delivery as I found the $500 box of coins stuffed into my mailbox on the street when I returned from my trip yesterday.
Old Jul 17, 08, 1:07 am

Programs: AA, AS, BA, DL Plat, Chase UR, Diners, UA, F9, WN, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Amex MR.
The ones I ordered a few weeks ago are finally in transit.

They also just charged by credit card -- that is the right way -- merchants are suppose to charge your card until the merchandise ships.

I guess I am using coin to pay for my lattes for a while.
And might take some of them to the bank too.
Old Jul 17, 08, 8:47 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Mine were shipped on July 5th...still have not seen them. Should I be concerned?
Old Jul 17, 08, 9:38 am

Programs: United Silver, PC Plat/Amb, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by dingo View Post
Mine were shipped on July 5th...still have not seen them. Should I be concerned?

Hmm. I don't know. Mine were shipped parcel post and arrived two days later. (today!) Check the thread, I think some folks have had success tracking the shipments.
Old Jul 17, 08, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am trying to stay clam... I've been getting regular email updates and I know these coins are just 10 miles away now... What I don't know is whether DHL or USPS will deliver. If it is USPS, it probably won't be delivered today.

Also, the charge has appeared on my credit card as a purchase.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: