Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Aug 3, 2009, 10:40 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Somebody from Fatwallet got mad because Chase kept cutting his credit limit on his card where he had a 0% BT, so he went into a branch and asked could he pay the card off there. They said yes, he said, I'll be right back, went to his car and brought in $19,000 and paid the balance off then and there.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 12:07 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
So how small are these vaults that are "full?" $5,000 is two boxes, 95 lbs, but each only about 12x8x4 INCHES. Like a couple of hardcover books. The things would fit in the cheapo safe in our hallway closet.

BTW, we are still missing a $250 order sent USPS SmartMail (a FedEx subsidiary). It was supposedly delivered to my mailbox 7/22, but I believe it still in the truck or post office. We live in a quiet neighborhood, we all know each other, and we pick up our mail every day within an hour of delivery. Theft or putting the box in the wrong mailbox are unlikely. FedEx, USPS, and my Amex card all deny responsibility and point fingers at each other. Next step is USPS Postal Inspector and SD Country Sheriff. (Amex would pay as theft of merchandise, but it's "currency" one of the many, many things they don't cover.) If the Mint replaces the box of Andrew Jackson's, fine. Otherwise we have no recourse, but I plan on following through on this.

On a good note, our Union Bank branch has been quite okay with the deposits so far. $750, $2500, $5,000.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by lili
If the Mint replaces the box of Andrew Jackson's, fine. Otherwise we have no recourse, but I plan on following through on this.
interesting. my order of jacksons are the only one i've had problems with during shipping. i wonder if it is 'jackson' specific ?

i had an order of jacksons and madisons together and they both showed as shipped on the same day but as two packages. the madisons showed as 9.5lbs and the jacksons as 19.3lbs. clearly the jacksons don't weigh 2x more than the madisons. so maybe something was messed up in the way they labeled the shipments... jacksons never showed up.

at any rate, almost 2 months after original ship date it looks like they are sending a replacement box of jacksons.^
Old Aug 4, 2009, 1:35 am

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Originally Posted by ghurty
What is the most anyone here ever deposited at once?
$38k yesterday over the counter rolled at Chase as a cc payment. $68,500 in the last 8 days.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 1:44 am

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Wow, so how did you get 700 pounds of coins from your car to the counter? Several trips? Most dollys only hold a few hundred pounds.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 7:37 am

Programs: DL KM
Originally Posted by lili
So how small are these vaults that are "full?" $5,000 is two boxes, 95 lbs, but each only about 12x8x4 INCHES. Like a couple of hardcover books. The things would fit in the cheapo safe in our hallway closet.

The vaults in small branches (mine) will hold a maximum of 6 bags plus whatever "normal" transactions the bank has to account for.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 10:39 am

Programs: AA,BA,CO,DL,NW,UA,SPG,HH
So how small are these vaults that are "full?"

My bank told me that it's not the physical size of the vault that prevents them from putting more into it, it's the $$ amount that's already in the vault.

Last edited by RICKDARE; Aug 4, 2009 at 10:43 am Reason: clarification
Old Aug 4, 2009, 10:41 am

The TD Banknorth branches in my area of MA all accept the coins rolled. My husband deposits them using four branches, and hasn't had any real problems beyond a few annoyed looks. When we were ordering Presidents, the tellers seemed to assume he was a coin collector.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 4:51 pm

Last edited by atwnsw2; Aug 26, 2009 at 4:49 pm
Old Aug 4, 2009, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by atwnsw2
Can somebody help me with a small piece of trivia?

My bank started to charge me $40 per $7,500 for the bags that Brinks requires. I remember reading something on this board that said they weren't allowed/supposed to charge for depositing money...

Can somebody provide me with further detail so that I can fight this charge?
[I realize that I can threaten to close my account but my preference would be to have factual support in my case]

Thanks in advance...
I think it's the Truth in Savings Act. Implemented by Regulation DD.

Depository institutions shall make the disclosures required by 230.4 through 230.6 of this part, as applicable, clearly and conspicuously, in writing, and in a form the consumer may keep.
Excerpts:

230.4 Account disclosures.
(a) Delivery of account disclosures-- (2) Requests. (i) A depository institution shall provide account disclosures to a consumer upon request. If a consumer who is not present at the institution makes a request, the institution shall mail or deliver the disclosures within a reasonable time after it receives the request and may provide the disclosures in paper form, or electronically if the consumer agrees.

(b) Content of account disclosures. Account disclosures shall include the following, as applicable:
(4) Fees. The amount of any fee that may be imposed in connection with the account (or an explanation of how the fee will be determined) and the conditions under which the fee may be imposed.
(5) Transaction limitations. Any limitations on the number or dollar amount of withdrawals or deposits.

In short, it looks like they need to disclose to you the fees in writing upon request. They are allowed to charge for deposits (banks do it all the time for businesses) as long as they follow the regulations.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 6:22 pm

Location: NY Tri state- but hangs out in nicer weather in west coast
Programs: CO Plat, National VIP, Avis PC,
What bank is this?

Can somebody help me with a small piece of trivia?

My bank started to charge me $40 per $7,500 for the bags that Brinks requires. I remember reading something on this board that said they weren't allowed/supposed to charge for depositing money...

Can somebody provide me with further detail so that I can fight this charge?
[I realize that I can threaten to close my account but my preference would be to have factual support in my case]

Thanks in advance...
Old Aug 4, 2009, 7:44 pm

Last edited by atwnsw2; Aug 26, 2009 at 4:48 pm
Old Aug 4, 2009, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Suntrust Bank....The ironic part was that they didn't charge me at first....
If you have a personal account, you can find the fee schedules here (vary by state):
https://www.suntrust.com/portal/serv...l_services/885

If the coin fee is not listed (I checked a couple of states and didn't see it), they can't charge it until it is listed/disclosed.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 5:20 am

Last edited by atwnsw2; Aug 26, 2009 at 4:47 pm
Old Aug 5, 2009, 7:41 am

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
I have been following this thread pretty regularly, and have gotten a few thousand in coins, mostly to fulfill new credit card spends. However, our current bank just told my husband that they will no longer accept the dollar coins as deposits (presumably in quantity). While I know lots of people have been told there would be a fee, has anyone else run into this?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.