Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Jul 30, 2009, 8:48 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
And I believe the reason is because if they got rid of it, there wouldn't be any paper currency with George Washington's picture on it. I vote for a $3 George...

It's too bad because they really should dump the $1 bill and the penny.
That's what they claim, here's the real reason :

"Who on earth thinks like this? People who have a vested interest in producing dollar bills, that's who. They come, principally, from three groups: the folks at the BEP; Mississippi cotton farmers, whose fibers make up the 100-percent-rag currency paper; and Crane & Company, a Massachusetts paper mill known for excellent stationery and a century-old papermaking contract with the government. Around the time the Sacagawea was proposed, they formed a lobbying group called Save the Greenback, which, according to press accounts, had the ear of Sen. Trent Lott of Mississippi and, back when he was in Congress, Rep. Joe Kennedy of Massachusetts."

from http://www.slate.com/id/2161901/
Old Jul 30, 2009, 8:59 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by xyzzy
I just called. It turns out I had fat fingered some info and the orders went into hold limbo... all fixed now
Their CSR folk are quite responsive and pleasant, aren't they? I'm missing a box of 250 Andrew Jackson's but believe it will be resolved. Somehow.

Meanwhile, my 7/21 order for lots (20 boxes) of NA just shipped, got the email an hour ago.Thankfully coming UPS.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 9:38 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not sure I believe "vault too full." Yesterday I went to a large US Bank branch and paid the $500 balance on two new FlexPerks cards with coins. They were sweet as could be but when I tried to pay the $4500 balance on another FlexPerks card today they suddenly had a full vault which they told me about after I carried in $3500. They only took $1500 and gave me coin bags for next time. I had planned to open an account but seems too troublesome. Will try to pay the rest of the CC balance at a different US Bank tomorrow.

Afterwards I went to a tiny WaMu branch where they gladly took $3000 for deposit, helped me open the little boxes and asked if I had more in the car. Asked if they had room in the fault and she said no problem. I think I wll move my main banking to them from Union Bank where they want to charge me a $1/1000 at my regular branch.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by lili
Their CSR folk are quite responsive and pleasant, aren't they?
They could not be nicer!
Old Jul 31, 2009, 10:36 am

Programs: Mosaic 2, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Premium Cabin free agent
[QUOTE=IAHtraveler;12149895]
Originally Posted by UnitedEF

Totally OT, but fitting for your comment: I've gone by many gentleman's clubs in Montreal and often wondered how you tip the ladies? Do they take Loonies? Do you have to warm them up first? Where do you put them, etc
I would imagine they have a little coin purse like they did in the medieval days
Old Jul 31, 2009, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
I had my first denial today when trying to deposit the coins. I frequent 5 Wachovias near me and only one is cold toward the process. When I went in today, I was told that "We don't have space in the vault" with an attitude. They said they'll have space next Thursday, so I'll be sure to have a good 5-8K for deposit there next Thursday. In the meantime, I'll visit the other/nice ones
I think as this deal continues to get more and more popular or as we continue to visit our banks more and more often, we'll see more excuses and or more fees imposed. I've been hit with several the longer I've been at this.

It really is a hassle for the banks and their carriers to haul all these coins. My local branch manager is very nice and has told me how much the Loomis drivers have been complaining to him about it. He just tells him he's going to keep accepting the coins. Of course he also passes along to me every fee that Loomis has started hitting him with for all the extra coins.

I'm still coming out ahead though so onward and upward
Old Jul 31, 2009, 12:44 pm

LOL at paying fees for depositing your money.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 12:50 pm

Programs: Mosaic 2, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Premium Cabin free agent
Originally Posted by jlgrandam
LOL at paying fees for depositing your money.
We were looking to open an account with bank of the west and they told us that there was a $2 fee per $1,000 of cash they had to count. I'm not talking about coins but paper money! Just ridiculous.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 2:13 pm

Programs: AS MVP
my orders of NA (in separate orders of less than $2k each) on 07/24 and 07/25 have just shipped, looks like they're coming on Monday. Finally!
Old Jul 31, 2009, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by UnitedEF
We were looking to open an account with bank of the west and they told us that there was a $2 fee per $1,000 of cash they had to count. I'm not talking about coins but paper money! Just ridiculous.
Isn't counting money part of the bank's job?

Last edited by Xyzzy; Jul 31, 2009 at 2:34 pm
Old Jul 31, 2009, 2:36 pm
In memoriam

Our UPS driver hefting two 47.5 lb boxes of NA's:

"Oof. What's in here? Batteries?"

Me: "Yup."

BTW, I thought UPS guys were supposed to be runners-up to firemen in looks. This guy is letting down the team.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 3:02 pm
Moderator: United MileagePlus

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by xyzzy
Isn't counting money part of the bank's job?
Just like charging fees.

Chase was well behaved today in the greater IAH area, FWIW.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 3:18 pm

Citibank and Bank of New York (before they were aquired by Chase) both charged me to deposit paper currency into my business account. I moved my business to Commerce (now TD) I am the treasurer of a small non profit organization and Citibank still charges to deposit cash into our account!
Old Jul 31, 2009, 4:27 pm

Programs: MR Plat Premier, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Southwest CP
So I've read through the last 25+ pages or so of this thread and can't seem to come up with a good answer to this question:

What is the optimal amount of NA coins to order at once to maximize the shipping (and/or poential bank deposit) efficiencies?

Thanks in advance...after lurking in this forum for several weeks I think I'm going to dive in and place my first order this weekend.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 4:39 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by arizonawildcat
So I've read through the last 25+ pages or so of this thread and can't seem to come up with a good answer to this question:

What is the optimal amount of NA coins to order at once to maximize the shipping (and/or poential bank deposit) efficiencies?

Thanks in advance...after lurking in this forum for several weeks I think I'm going to dive in and place my first order this weekend.
Depends on your strength and your banker. 10 boxes weigh 47.5 pounds.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.