Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2009, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by soitgoes
I don't believe anyone has a legal obligation to return the money unless the bank asks for it. If the bank notices the error and asks for it back, then indeed you are required to return it. The moral obligation is a different matter.
Actually, there *is* a legal obligation to return (or at least not spend) the money. Again, a Google search will find lots of people who didn't follow this obligation.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 11:19 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by fsa_ea
The only business they will EVER get from me again will be credit card churning and blank postage paid credit card applications.
Why stop at blank postage paid applications? A stress reliever of mine is: While I'm watching TV that I would have been doing anyway, just stuff lots of your trash into those envelopes, tape 'em shut and drop them back in the mailbox. I just hope that the USPS gets paid per ounce, and not per letter, in those scenarios.

Originally Posted by chtrich
Up until the recent backorder, coins have been arriving for me within a week of ordering them.
What is your order size (PM me if you'd prefer). Of all of my orders, I've only had 1 within a week!

Originally Posted by Helena Handbaskets
After you've deposited $250,000 or so, you'll be able to enroll in the police academy and eventually get a job as "the long arm of the law."

Or, I suppose it could prove useful to be able to get to your bag in the overhead storage bin while the seatbelt light is on.
Too funny! Reminds me of a Family Guy episode I saw last night, but that's way OT.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 11:29 am
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by dayone
Your actions will minimize the return it earns on your payment.
That's what I meant. Unfortunately, with interest rates near zero, it won't add up to much.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 11:30 am
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Why stop at blank postage paid applications? A stress reliever of mine is: While I'm watching TV that I would have been doing anyway, just stuff lots of your trash into those envelopes, tape 'em shut and drop them back in the mailbox. I just hope that the USPS gets paid per ounce, and not per letter, in those scenarios.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
... most people get 1-3 miles or points per dollar spent, or a percent or two cashback.
Which card gives 3 miles per dollar? You referring to TYP's or actual airline miles?
Old Jul 28, 2009, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by jlgrandam
Nope, I'm pretty sure it will be people like you who can't keep your mouth shut about why this deal is so hot that will kill it.
So LYING (which has, based on points here), which causes the bank to call the FBI, is better?
Old Jul 28, 2009, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by thehawk75
Which card gives 3 miles per dollar? You referring to TYP's or actual airline miles?
The HHonors Surpass AmEx gives 3 points/dollar. Not quite the same value as 3 miles, but still a good deal, IMO.

Has anyone had any orders cancelled lately? I placed an order yesterday for >5K NA coins, and I got the email cancelling the order a bit ago. I have other orders outstanding for <5k that haven't been touched yet. I don't think it's an issue with my card because I have much more credit available than the order.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by WBurcham
So LYING (which has, based on points here), which causes the bank to call the FBI, is better?
Where is the evidence that lying caused the FBI involvement?
Old Jul 28, 2009, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
The HHonors Surpass AmEx gives 3 points/dollar. Not quite the same value as 3 miles, but still a good deal, IMO.
Oh, yeah. I've got the free version of that one (debating to go surpass for the diamond possibilities), nonetheless, I value a HH point at about 1/3rd the value of a typical airline mile.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by thehawk75
Oh, yeah. I've got the free version of that one (debating to go surpass for the diamond possibilities), nonetheless, I value a HH point at about 1/3rd the value of a typical airline mile.
Same here for the point/mileage conversion. I have a stay in January where I need some more points, so I signed up for the card to get 100k points rather easily.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by soitgoes
I don't believe anyone has a legal obligation to return the money unless the bank asks for it. If the bank notices the error and asks for it back, then indeed you are required to return it. The moral obligation is a different matter.
Actually, you do have the "legal obligation" or at least not to withdraw it (withdrawal could construde as "stealing" in some scenario) when in this type of situation even the bank hasn't notify you. Though I dont know if there is a statutory limit on the time, i.e. on how long the bank has the right to reclaim its asset after the mistake happened.

Google the subject you will find out a whole lot more.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
Actually, you do have the "legal obligation" or at least not to withdraw it
That's what I meant by not using it. Sorry if I wasn't clear.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 6:05 pm

Can Non bank customer exchange coins for regular bills at any bank?

Just curious if anyone had ever walked into any bank (where you don't have any accounts) and simply exchanged $1000? (alright may $500 may be more appropriate as you don't want to scare them) for regular $100 bills and walked out without any hassles
Old Jul 28, 2009, 6:12 pm

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
Originally Posted by phantomtiger
Just curious if anyone had ever walked into any bank (where you don't have any accounts) and simply exchanged $1000? (alright may $500 may be more appropriate as you don't want to scare them) for regular $100 bills and walked out without any hassles
Unless you find a very friendly bank, chances are this would not happen. Most banks charge a % to redeem counted coins if you have no account with them. Perhaps one of the banks that allow them to stay rolled would do it, but then again they would have no recourse if the rolls ended up short. If you have an account there they can debit your account.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by genotonda
. Perhaps one of the banks that allow them to stay rolled would do it, but then again they would have no recourse if the rolls ended up short. If you have an account there they can debit your account.
Ah, but whose to say the mint didn't short any of us in the beginning as I'm fairly certain almost none of you unwrapped everything and counted every dollar--remind me of Scrooged sitting in front of his pile of coins

Last edited by phantomtiger; Jul 28, 2009 at 6:29 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.