Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Jul 28, 2009, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by rc408
same thing for me but instead of getting 2 boxes I only received 1. Half of my order is missing somewhere. Has anyone recently had multiple boxes ($2500 per box) shipped together and arriving different days?
yes, this happened to me last week
Old Jul 28, 2009, 7:39 am
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
I got 2500 of 5000 on Thursday

And the balance being delivered today.

Anybody receive notice yet of the removal of the backorder and shipments coming to them yet? I see credit card authorizations in the last 24 hours.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by ingy
And the balance being delivered today.

Anybody receive notice yet of the removal of the backorder and shipments coming to them yet? I see credit card authorizations in the last 24 hours.
Yes they are coming. I got an order yesterday and one is coming today. Good thing to as I am almost out of stock myself
Old Jul 28, 2009, 8:23 am
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by genotonda
She reluctantly said "I guess there may be fees or something."

I said "fees? For what?"

She looked at the other teller and told her that Pam (teller in the back where the coin counting machine is) just said, there may be fees.

My reply was, "You guys nickel and dime for everything. Where do you get off charging me to DEPOSIT money into my account?"
Try B of A, where they will simply STEAL your money! "We're sorry, but that $2,00 deposit of dollar coins only came to $1,945.27. We're debiting your account for the other $54.73."
Old Jul 28, 2009, 8:47 am

As another data point on shipments to PO Boxes...no signature was required. They were placed into one of the oversized package boxes and the key for THAT box was left in MY box. Coins retrieved without having to arrange to get to the counter...
Old Jul 28, 2009, 9:06 am

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
You're having the Mint truck/air 50 pound boxes of coins to you, driving them to the bank, and having them sent back to the Mint by truck and you are worried about the "waste" of a few tiny pieces of plastic?
Best-Post-EVER!!!
Old Jul 28, 2009, 9:19 am

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
Originally Posted by fsa_ea
Try B of A, where they will simply STEAL your money! "We're sorry, but that $2,00 deposit of dollar coins only came to $1,945.27. We're debiting your account for the other $54.73."
Now on this topic I have to give ^^ to US Bank. One deposit of $2500 came to $2501.10 (Yes, somehow there supossedly was a dime in there), and another time they said the total was $2503!! I have made a whopping $4.10 so far. Sounds like one of those "Bank error in your favor" cards from Monopoly.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by genotonda
Now on this topic I have to give ^^ to US Bank. One deposit of $2500 came to $2501.10 (Yes, somehow there supossedly was a dime in there), and another time they said the total was $2503!! I have made a whopping $4.10 so far. Sounds like one of those "Bank error in your favor" cards from Monopoly.
Money deposited to your account due to a bank error in your favor is the bank's money, not yours. You can be prosecuted for theft if you don't return it. Do a Google search and find lots of people who thought it was theirs to spend, and were fined and/or jailed.

I suggest you take care of this. Your post even shows that you have knowledge of the errors. :-O
Old Jul 28, 2009, 9:36 am

Programs: AA LT Gold & Marriott Gold
That is the trouble with giving the banks the coins and letting them count them later. I had a similar incident where I was at the bank and they counted them in the vault and then announced my lower total. They had to recount the entire machine and ended up correcting the deposit. In an earlier post I reported that the coin machines some banks use have a poor history of handling $1 coins. I will only deposit at banks where they take the coins in rolls and not use a machine. My one bad experience cost me 1.5 hours of time and I won't take the chance of it happening again.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 9:46 am

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
Originally Posted by aviators99
Money deposited to your account due to a bank error in your favor is the bank's money, not yours. You can be prosecuted for theft if you don't return it. Do a Google search and find lots of people who thought it was theirs to spend, and were fined and/or jailed.

I suggest you take care of this. Your post even shows that you have knowledge of the errors. :-O
OMG You cannot be serious??!!

First off, I did not count the 2500+ coins myself to see that they were dead on. For all I know there was 2503 coins in the pile of coins I had unrolled and dumped into a bag. So that is NOT the banks money, I gave them the authority to count my deposit and basically take what ever number they came up with. If they counted 2496, I can't say "There should be 2500, give me $2500 please." I MIGHT get them to just give me all the coins back, provided the $1 coin bag was empty before my coins were added. Most likely I would have just had to take $2496 and walk away.

If it's anybody's money, it's the US Mint's. Perhaps I should send them the $4.10?? I think I just might see what I look like in stripes!
Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:30 am
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by gejone
That is the trouble with giving the banks the coins and letting them count them later. I had a similar incident where I was at the bank and they counted them in the vault and then announced my lower total. They had to recount the entire machine and ended up correcting the deposit. In an earlier post I reported that the coin machines some banks use have a poor history of handling $1 coins. I will only deposit at banks where they take the coins in rolls and not use a machine. My one bad experience cost me 1.5 hours of time and I won't take the chance of it happening again.
Consider yourself lucky. I've spent several hours (the amount they stole from me is actually significantly higher than $54.73), and that doesn't count my upcoming lawsuit. Bank of America is THE WORST BANK EVER!

The only business they will EVER get from me again will be credit card churning and blank postage paid credit card applications. I actually look forward to the "why are you closing your account?" questions when calling to close credit cards. I'll be happy to tell them, "because I hate your bank and I only got the card for miles."

My mortgage with these jerks will now be paid on the last possible day without penalty, so as to minimize the interest they earn on my loan.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:41 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

My mortgage [...] will now be paid on the last possible day without penalty, so as to minimize the interest they earn on my loan.
Your actions will minimize the return it earns on your payment.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aviators99
Money deposited to your account due to a bank error in your favor is the bank's money, not yours. You can be prosecuted for theft if you don't return it.
I don't believe anyone has a legal obligation to return the money unless the bank asks for it. If the bank notices the error and asks for it back, then indeed you are required to return it. The moral obligation is a different matter.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Unfortunately, The Mint is a government entity, so they don't turn them around that quickly. If you order them on day 0, your card will get a hold for the coin amount then. When they ship, they'll turn the hold into a purchase, usually ~2 weeks. Add a few days for shipping (if it happens over a weekend, which mine usually tend to do), and then a day for the $ to post to your account and a few days for your credit card payment to post. You might be able to average 1.5 turns/month on your cards, but that's still an amazing amount of coins, depending on your credit limit and how much free credit you have floating around I just wonder what some of our credit scores look like if we really continue this... If anyone were to apply for a house/car loan, it might be fishy why you're spending your yearly salary in the course of a few months.
Up until the recent backorder, coins have been arriving for me within a week of ordering them. I've been making 2-3 turns a month on my cards. Of course that does vary as prior to this month it was more like 1-1.5 turns as it did take 2 weeks. It seems to vary a lot I guess. :-)
I don't think it'll hurt your credit scores. You charge a lot, but pay it all off every month on time. That's not a bad thing. Maxing your limit can have some affect, but a month or two after this deal dies all will be returned to normal.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 11:05 am

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
If I put 500/box, I can put 4 or 5 boxes up my left arm. That leaves my right/dominant hand to grab the last box, push the lock button & shut the car door. I use my right hand to open the doors on the way in. Sure, it's a bit heavy in my left arm, but it's not like I'm walking for miles that way; just across the lot & into the lobby.
After you've deposited $250,000 or so, you'll be able to enroll in the police academy and eventually get a job as "the long arm of the law."

Or, I suppose it could prove useful to be able to get to your bag in the overhead storage bin while the seatbelt light is on.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.