Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2009, 2:44 pm

Well, I think I'm done with this deal. My local BoA just told me to stop depositing there. I'll probably deposit the remaining boxes slowly at another (less convenient) branch, and not order any more.

Re: Shipment of two boxes arriving on different days
There have been cases where people have reported that two boxes arrived on different days, and they only got 1 tracking number. Keeping orders to $2500 max appears to prevent this problem.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Lyrrad
Well, I think I'm done with this deal. My local BoA just told me to stop depositing there. I'll probably deposit the remaining boxes slowly at another (less convenient) branch, and not order any more.
Did they say why? Usually it's because they've been charged some extra fees from their money carrier. Just see if you can pay some of those fees and work out a relationship with them to keep depositing.
Afterall, it is money.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by chtrich
Did they say why? Usually it's because they've been charged some extra fees from their money carrier. Just see if you can pay some of those fees and work out a relationship with them to keep depositing.
Afterall, it is money.
I was told that I filled their vault. I stopped using a different (smaller) BoA branch after the manager politely told me that they weren't equipped to take many deposits and mentioned the fees. I have to walk to the branches, and there are 3 more branches a few hundred yards further away that might be able to accept them, but it's not worth the hassle unless I know I can do it consistently. I could try opening an account with another bank, but my local Chase didn't accept them for deposit claiming that their vault was too small.

I called one of the next three BoA branches closest to me and they indicated that they just got a shipment because it was Monday and they also didn't have room in the vault.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Lyrrad

I guess it depends on your time, energy and value you place the miles you receive. I opended a new free checking account a bank that has 40+ branches in the metro area, so I don't abuse any one or few branches with deposits. It's been my practice to never deposit more than $2,500 at any one branch and then they don't see me for 4-6 weeks. If the coins were a hassle I don't hear about it as it's been awhile since my last visit. My work schedule allows me to be flexible during the day so I may drive across town and make 4 deposits in a couple of hours. If I go into to branch that says they have to put them through a coin counter, I'll leave and go to a different branch. Sometimes I'll walk into my own branch and cash in $500 and then add the cash to my next large deposit at the other bank. I can see why if you ordered a number of boxes and always went to the same bank they might get upset. By "spreading the wealth", I've obtained a lot of miles, added a little to my gas bill and haven't made enemies at the bank.

Two of the branches told me they have customers who want the $1 coins and they have to special order them from the Fed. I told them I would be happy to bring some in every week. We'll have to see how that goes. FYI, if a vending machine company has machines on Federal property, to include the USPS, the machines have to give change in $1 coins. I don't know if that's law, policy or whatever, but one of the bank's customers has the USPS account at the local PO.

Yes, I am away of the CTR and never deposit more than $10K in a day.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 3:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gejone
I guess it depends on your time, energy and value you place the miles you receive. I opended a new free checking account a bank that has 40+ branches in the metro area, so I don't abuse any one or few branches with deposits. It's been my practice to never deposit more than $2,500 at any one branch and then they don't see me for 4-6 weeks. If the coins were a hassle I don't hear about it as it's been awhile since my last visit. My work schedule allows me to be flexible during the day so I may drive across town and make 4 deposits in a couple of hours. If I go into to branch that says they have to put them through a coin counter, I'll leave and go to a different branch. Sometimes I'll walk into my own branch and cash in $500 and then add the cash to my next large deposit at the other bank. I can see why if you ordered a number of boxes and always went to the same bank they might get upset. By "spreading the wealth", I've obtained a lot of miles, added a little to my gas bill and haven't made enemies at the bank.

Two of the branches told me they have customers who want the $1 coins and they have to special order them from the Fed. I told them I would be happy to bring some in every week. We'll have to see how that goes. FYI, if a vending machine company has machines on Federal property, to include the USPS, the machines have to give change in $1 coins. I don't know if that's law, policy or whatever, but one of the bank's customers has the USPS account at the local PO.

Yes, I am away of the CTR and never deposit more than $10K in a day.
although I dont order 40 boxes at a time. for awhile after the limit was taken off the NAs, I had no problem as I was the only 1 in my area,never more then 1k per branch

now today as last week I hear the mgr saying what another deposit of them today. So all anyone needs is another person doing this at the same branches to foul it all up. In my case the person brought in 2500 each time

As more and more people get into it, Id expect the banks to either set a daily max and a low # at that or start to charge fees that will cover their expenses from the time a teller+ has to do all the work and the shipping it back. They will turn it into a profit center for themselves
Old Jul 27, 2009, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rc408
same thing for me but instead of getting 2 boxes I only received 1. Half of my order is missing somewhere. Has anyone recently had multiple boxes ($2500 per box) shipped together and arriving different days?
Numerous cases reported, just go back to a page or 2 backward you will see the reported cases - apparently your 2nd box will come in a few days per the previous posts.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 4:01 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by craz
now today as last week I hear the mgr saying what another deposit of them today. So all anyone needs is another person doing this at the same branches to foul it all up. In my case the person brought in 2500 each time
You don't go to banks just north of Houston, do you? It sounds like my pattern.

Originally Posted by craz
As more and more people get into it, Id expect the banks to either set a daily max and a low # at that or start to charge fees that will cover their expenses from the time a teller+ has to do all the work and the shipping it back. They will turn it into a profit center for themselves
Agreed. However, I'm sure that as long as you live in a decent-sized city, you could find a few branches that will take 1k/week from you without fees.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler

I'd also prefer if the plastic holders were recycleable so that there would be no waste created in the process.
You're having the Mint truck/air 50 pound boxes of coins to you, driving them to the bank, and having them sent back to the Mint by truck and you are worried about the "waste" of a few tiny pieces of plastic?
Old Jul 27, 2009, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
You're having the Mint truck/air 50 pound boxes of coins to you, driving them to the bank, and having them sent back to the Mint by truck and you are worried about the "waste" of a few tiny pieces of plastic?
Old Jul 27, 2009, 4:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
You don't go to banks just north of Houston, do you? It sounds like my pattern.

Agreed. However, I'm sure that as long as you live in a decent-sized city, you could find a few branches that will take 1k/week from you without fees.
thats not me, Im up in the NE at the other Hub area

the problem I feel is the NAs , no one wants them, seems they check each roll to see if any are the Pres

beats me why the branches simply dont brake some open and give them out in lieu of $1 bills
Old Jul 27, 2009, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
The coins are never sent back to the Mint. The Mint just makes coins... whereas the overall bank & Federal Reserve system is where the coins are typically held. If anything the coins are trucked to the local reserve building.

The Mint is purely a one way operation... they make the coins we use, but don't take them (except for typical defect/customer returns, etc.)
Old Jul 27, 2009, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Numerous cases reported, just go back to a page or 2 backward you will see the reported cases - apparently your 2nd box will come in a few days per the previous posts.
Thanks! I remember it happening before but all my orders of multiple boxes over the last few months have all come together.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by e_mcconnell
The coins are never sent back to the Mint. The Mint just makes coins... whereas the overall bank & Federal Reserve system is where the coins are typically held. If anything the coins are trucked to the local reserve building.

The Mint is purely a one way operation... they make the coins we use, but don't take them (except for typical defect/customer returns, etc.)
Yes, that makes my point totally irrelevant. Thanks.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 4:30 pm

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Happy ending

Originally Posted by rc408
same thing for me but instead of getting 2 boxes I only received 1. Half of my order is missing somewhere. Has anyone recently had multiple boxes ($2500 per box) shipped together and arriving different days?
See post 3013. It has a happy ending.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 4:36 pm

weight of 1,000 coins?

Just curious if I had to lug around 1000coins= $1000 dollars, anyone have a guess how much this will weigh? not sure if anyone had ever weigh these things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.