Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2009, 10:43 am

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Originally Posted by rxralph
What state would your Monmouth county be in?

ralph
New Jersey
Old Jul 21, 2009, 10:56 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
You know you buy too many coins when. . .

Originally Posted by FSU
I think I may need professional help. The "Presidential Coins" addiction seems to worse than any other. It started simply enough, order some coins get a few miles. Then of course it became, lets order a few more and more. Then its up to 5000 at a time. I am excited at the ordering process, elated when the order ships, slightly let down when the package arrives, agitated when I have to unroll all the coins for my bank. Then comes the shame of dropping the coins off at the bank. The unapproving looks by the bank tellers, holding up the line for the other customers, questions from the branch manager. I try to go to different branches hiding my addiction. I swear that this time is the last time. It just isn't worth it. No more.

Then I hear the call "its me, US MINT.GOV, come and visit for a while, you don't have to buy anything." Well it can't hurt to just look right? So I stop by for awhile. Oh, no more limits on order size? I can get 99 boxes at once? Well I don't need THAT many. Maybe just $10,000 just one last time. I wont even tell the family this time. They are very worried about me anyway. I have told them I can control myself, that I can stop at any time. I will have to hide the marks on my arms from carrying the boxes in. The marks on my fingers from unrolling the coins. Its OK, this will be the last time.
You know you are buying too many coins when. . .

You look at your credit card summary after making a $5000 payment and neither your balance nor your available credit has changed. Your payment went through but at the same time your order that just shipped was billed, and the authorization went through for the order after that.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 12:55 pm

Programs: Spirit,AAdvantage,Onepass,WorldPerks
Originally Posted by FSU
I think I may need professional help. The "Presidential Coins" addiction seems to worse than any other. It started simply enough, order some coins get a few miles. Then of course it became, lets order a few more and more. Then its up to 5000 at a time. I am excited at the ordering process, elated when the order ships, slightly let down when the package arrives, agitated when I have to unroll all the coins for my bank. Then comes the shame of dropping the coins off at the bank. The unapproving looks by the bank tellers, holding up the line for the other customers, questions from the branch manager. I try to go to different branches hiding my addiction. I swear that this time is the last time. It just isn't worth it. No more.

Then I hear the call "its me, US MINT.GOV, come and visit for a while, you don't have to buy anything." Well it can't hurt to just look right? So I stop by for awhile. Oh, no more limits on order size? I can get 99 boxes at once? Well I don't need THAT many. Maybe just $10,000 just one last time. I wont even tell the family this time. They are very worried about me anyway. I have told them I can control myself, that I can stop at any time. I will have to hide the marks on my arms from carrying the boxes in. The marks on my fingers from unrolling the coins. Its OK, this will be the last time.
How did you know that!
Old Jul 21, 2009, 2:53 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by Lyrrad
Yeah, overnight air shipping to some areas on each $2500 box appears to be about $150. The mint probably gets a discount, but I doubt it's more than 50%. The mint likely still gets a good deal, likely making at least 60% of the value of the coins.
Are you getting your coins overnight express?

Mine have been coming via regualr mail or by UPS ground.

Are you paying extra for this?
Old Jul 21, 2009, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by biggestbopper

How small are your orders? I've been ordering $1000 and up for all my orders and they all ship via UPS next day air even though I'm choosing ground. This has been the experience of the majority on this thread. Perhaps you're not in an ideal location for next day delivery with UPS.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by FSU

I feele xactly the same way......is there a club to join?
Old Jul 21, 2009, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by biggestbopper

Are you ordering single boxes?

My experience ties in with the ' $300 and over shipments' being shipped next day, and the others being shipped via ground service.

I've had two 3 box orders split into a 2box and a 1 box shipment. The 2 box orders came next day, the single boxes have been shipped on a truck from Indianapolis. Both were 'scheduled' to arrive the 22nd, but one came today (21st) in my mailbox!! Hope the other one shows up tomorrow.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 7:08 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...can-coins.html

Poster "Crabbing" developed a very thorough FAQ on this subject, which has been temporarily stickied. If anyone has some additional data that is of a similar FAQ nature, please contact a moderator, and we will post it in the sticky also.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 7:18 pm

Coin Machine

If you live in a state with a TCF you might want to see if your branch has a self-service coin counting machine. My SOP is I take a utility knife and slice the rolls and dump them into a canvas bag. No unrolling, more like peeling. Just to be a nerd about it, I timed it. I had $500 loose in the bag in well under five minutes, without cutting myself. Works well while watching television.

I them gently dump the coins in the machine...and so far (knock on wood) no missed counts and no irate tellers. Plus, they gave me $50 for opening up a new account.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 8:20 pm

http://tcffinancial.spatialpoint.com/tcffinancial/
Old Jul 21, 2009, 9:00 pm

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Bad experience at Bank of America in San Diego

I have been depositing regularly at Bank of America and my branch gives me 10 bags in advance to fill out my account information and pre-load the coins before I arrive. Today I was late to get to my branch and went to the nearest branch when I realized this. They told me that it was B of A's new policy as of last Thursday to charge $3.00 per bank bag (ie; $30/$5000 coins) to deposit coins. I am a Premier Banking member and all fees are supposed to be waived, so I asked for a copy of the charges as they are required to provide the rate sheet. I was given a printout from the internet with the BofA "Commercial Small Business Misc Fees" rate sheet.

I objected and they basically said TUFF and they are tired of "loosing" money because they have to have an outside service count the coins. I asked who made this decision and they said it has always been bank policy but they are just starting to enforce it now. I asked who made the decision to enforce the policy and was told that it was Robin Gagnon, Consumer Market Manager, North San Diego Market and I called her at 760-317-2413 (Direct line). She was basicly a cold stone and unwilling to waive on the fee for deposit of LEGAL US CURRENCY. I am asking for any members who can talk some sense in to this "manager" to please feel free to "discuss" with her why this is wrong to charge consumers off of the BUSINESS BANKING fee schedule. She was trying to say that this was a business transaction.

In my personal account (non-business account) there is nothing that says that they can charge for deposits and it seems that they are arbitrarily overlaying the commercial rates on general consumers.

My Chase branch said just come on down and bring as many as you want, no charge. I am going to open an account Wed morning.
CitiBank says they accept coins only one day a week by reservation in advance, so I need a way to clear deposits to make the cc payment. Remember, the only reason BofA is in business it because they were bailed out with TARP money.

Thanks for any help.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Comicwoman
If you live in a state with a TCF you might want to see if your branch has a self-service coin counting machine. My SOP is I take a utility knife and slice the rolls and dump them into a canvas bag. No unrolling, more like peeling. Just to be a nerd about it, I timed it. I had $500 loose in the bag in well under five minutes, without cutting myself. Works well while watching television.

I them gently dump the coins in the machine...and so far (knock on wood) no missed counts and no irate tellers. Plus, they gave me $50 for opening up a new account.
I had a VERY BAD experience with TCF in Chicagoland a few years ago.

They allowed two different people, including one of the opposite sex claiming to have my male first name, with no ID and with utterly different signatures, to take about $1700 out of my account in several chunks, from various branches over the course of a day.

Allegedly this thieving pair had our PIN, which for years had been known only to my wife and me. This was sufficient for 3 different tellers until a fourth one was bright enough to investigate by calling me.

It took me 7 weeks to get the money back, and I had to call the President's office and speak VERY SHARPLY to get it done.

TCF sucks, big time.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by Comicwoman

This is my SOP now as well.

I even have a heavy duty coin bag with a drawstring to take them in. Very compact!

http://www.banksupplies.com/catalog/...oducts_id/1112
Old Jul 21, 2009, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I had a VERY BAD experience with TCF in Chicagoland a few years ago.

They allowed two different people, including one of the opposite sex claiming to have my male first name, with no ID and with utterly different signatures, to take about $1700 out of my account in several chunks, from various branches over the course of a day.

Allegedly this thieving pair had our PIN, which for years had been known only to my wife and me. This was sufficient for 3 different tellers until a fourth one was bright enough to investigate by calling me.

It took me 7 weeks to get the money back, and I had to call the President's office and speak VERY SHARPLY to get it done.

TCF sucks, big time.
I am not defending them. But when I saw the coin counting machine, I was sold. Once I no longer have a need for it, the account gets closed. One branch near work and the gym and another near home. They did a minor screw up opening my account, but that has been resolved. I did have to remind them when I opened the account to give me the $50 bonus.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 10:23 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mrpickles
My Chase branch said just come on down and bring as many as you want, no charge. I am going to open an account Wed morning.
Good move. I went to Chase formerly WaMu today and unloaded $2500 without incident as usual. In fact, the customer next to me requested a box for the large amount of paper cash she had withdrawn and my teller was proud to hand over my box which she had just emptied .

Originally Posted by mrpickles
CitiBank says they accept coins only one day a week by reservation in advance, so I need a way to clear deposits to make the cc payment.
I made a CC payment at the one in UTC last week without any trouble (yet). The teller was amazed and called others over to see the coins.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.