Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Jul 20, 09, 12:40 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Gold, Choice Priveleges Gold, Club Carlson Silver, Wyndham Rewards, UMP, DL, ANA
I do my coin deposits at various Chase bank branches around town, and not once has any of them asked me to unroll the mint-rolled coins. Most of the time, they simply open the box, lift up the top tray just enough to make sure there is indeed a second tray underneath, fill out their slip, and then hand me my receipt. I usually fill out a deposit slip with the total amount of coins before hand. They seem to be less confused by the whole ordeal this way.
Old Jul 20, 09, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hyatt DIA, *W/IC Plat, HH Gold, A3 *G, Sixt Plat
This is indeed addictive - thankfully my bank didn't make me unroll them! ^
Old Jul 20, 09, 1:52 pm

Programs: Priority Club Plat./Ambassador; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; UA Silver
Originally Posted by jlgrandam View Post
NYC Chase, WAMU and BofA all require rolls. BofA requires account number on each roll.
Only once at a NYC BoA did a teller ask me to write my account number on the rolls. Fortunately, as I started writing, she realized they were official-looking rolls and decided I didn't have to go through that effort.
Old Jul 20, 09, 5:17 pm

Programs: Spirit,AAdvantage,Onepass,WorldPerks
Angry

Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
I do my coin deposits at various Chase bank branches around town, and not once has any of them asked me to unroll the mint-rolled coins. Most of the time, they simply open the box, lift up the top tray just enough to make sure there is indeed a second tray underneath, fill out their slip, and then hand me my receipt. I usually fill out a deposit slip with the total amount of coins before hand. They seem to be less confused by the whole ordeal this way.
My chase branch won't take them anymore.

Here's what happened, last Friday I walked in to pay my cc bill and I had lots of cash in bills (from coins) and about 10-15 rolls, the teller called another teller who tells me that they can't take them because they no longer have a machine I asked her if any other branch still had a machine and she claimed she doesn't know. So, I went to a different branch, this time I only brought 5 rolls, the teller asked the other one "do we take these?" so she asked her "how many are there?" she answered 5 so the teller told her to take them!

Last edited by Yissr; Jul 21, 09 at 12:38 pm Reason: misspellings
Old Jul 20, 09, 5:19 pm

Programs: Spirit,AAdvantage,Onepass,WorldPerks
These Chase branches are in the Monmouth county area.
Old Jul 20, 09, 7:48 pm

Programs: HI Platinum
How many boxes for $5000

My coins just arrived today and I only got one box. On the label it says 1 of 1. It weighs 46 something pounds. Before I open it, it seems like in the past $5000 has been 2 boxes....? Can anyone confirm?
Old Jul 20, 09, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cardigans1 View Post
My coins just arrived today and I only got one box. On the label it says 1 of 1. It weighs 46 something pounds. Before I open it, it seems like in the past $5000 has been 2 boxes....? Can anyone confirm?
It's about 58 coins/lb., so I would expect only 2,500 coins in a box weighing 46 lbs.
Old Jul 20, 09, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by Yissr View Post
These Chase branches are in the Monmouth county area.
What state would your Monmouth county be in?

ralph
Old Jul 21, 09, 12:59 am

I paged through many pages of this thread, as well as following the link to the mint, and I still don't see where the free shipping for the purchase of dollar coins comes into play. Can someone help?

Thanks.
Old Jul 21, 09, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by lynowens View Post
I paged through many pages of this thread, as well as following the link to the mint, and I still don't see where the free shipping for the purchase of dollar coins comes into play. Can someone help?

Thanks.
Sure. Despite some nominal $4.95 shipping charge as displayed onscreen, if you order more than [$500????], the system provides you with free shipping. Seriously, they eat some heavy shipping charges.
Old Jul 21, 09, 3:29 am
In memoriam

Yep, if the mint did not pay (no doubt, heavily discounted) shipping charges this would be problematic.

As to the arrival of one box of $2.5K on $5K order--this is not unusual.
Old Jul 21, 09, 5:12 am
Original Member

Programs: SPG/Marriott Lifetime Gold, Amtrak Guest Rewards, United Silver
Originally Posted by Torino View Post
Sure. Despite some nominal $4.95 shipping charge as displayed onscreen, if you order more than [$500????], the system provides you with free shipping. Seriously, they eat some heavy shipping charges.
I've never ordered more than $250 at a time, and always have received free shipping. For me, using the coins as cash when cash is needed (and thereby distributing the coins) is my priority -- getting miles is a nice sidelight (heresy, I know ).
Old Jul 21, 09, 6:32 am

I appreciate your efforts to put these into use and actually save our Govt. some money! Wish they would get rid of the $1 bill altogether.
Old Jul 21, 09, 10:02 am

Programs: CO Platinum HHonors Diamond Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by seoulmanjr View Post
So I haven't jumped on this before now just because I haven't had the time to be home and get delivery of thousands of dollars of coins -- but now I'm jammed and jumping in.

How fast does the credit card charge post to your CC? (AmEx in my case.)

My predicament is this -- I want Diamond status with Hilton before a trip and my Hilton Surpass AmEx comps me Diamond after $40k in annual spending. Right now, I'm only a few thousand away from that in annual spend, but my billing cycle ends on 7/19 and I'm not sure I'll get the status in time if I don't have $5k in spending hit my account in the next four days.

Thoughts?! Is there any problem with my wife making another $2500 purchase (who has an extra card on my Hilton AmEx account)? I'm assuming form the recent FAQ post by crabbing (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/11922122-post2433.html) that I'm limited to $500 per president and that only gets me up to $2500 in spending.

THANKS for helping me out here FT -- I have some back reading to do in this thread obviously, but I'd appreciate any quick help you can give me as I start wading through the thread.

peace,
~Ben~
Well, the coins actually did hit my card and come though in time -- it took only two days for them to charge me and ship. The coins arrived quickly and the security guard in my building signed for them and even loaned me a hand truck to take "that heavy ... box" up to my apartment.

Now I just have to go down to HSBC or Chase and deposit them all. Thanks FT!

peace,
~Ben~
Old Jul 21, 09, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by biggestbopper View Post
Yep, if the mint did not pay (no doubt, heavily discounted) shipping charges this would be problematic.
Yeah, overnight air shipping to some areas on each $2500 box appears to be about $150. The mint probably gets a discount, but I doubt it's more than 50%. The mint likely still gets a good deal, likely making at least 60% of the value of the coins.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: