Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Jul 9, 2009, 10:25 am

Programs: Starwood
I use a bank in midtown and drop off 1,500 at a shot without any problems.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 11:09 am

I just received my first box of $1000 NA coins this morning and paid $750 tuition and fees (another $10K to pay in next a few weeks) and deposited $225 into my local bank with no problems. My school doesn't take CC but check and cash. The staff was nice and actually quite happy that I brought coins in the 10-roll boxes.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 11:33 am

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
next time

Originally Posted by Nelumbo
I just received my first box of $1000 NA coins this morning and paid $750 tuition and fees (another $10K to pay in next a few weeks) and deposited $225 into my local bank with no problems. My school doesn't take CC but check and cash. The staff was nice and actually quite happy that I brought coins in the 10-roll boxes.
I don't think they'll be so happy next time. That seems to be the story--the first time oohs and ahs about the shiny coins. Next time, just a curt "how many of these do you have." Than, "we don't have room in the vault."

You may fare better because you're making a payment, not just a deposit. Let us know. Especially if you do the $10K payment.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by thebat
I don't think they'll be so happy next time. That seems to be the story--the first time oohs and ahs about the shiny coins. Next time, just a curt "how many of these do you have." Than, "we don't have room in the vault."

You may fare better because you're making a payment, not just a deposit. Let us know. Especially if you do the $10K payment.

Guess it depends on the bank and your relationship with them. I have deposited about 10K so far and the last time I sent my 18 year old son in with them. They know him and they know me and at this point he just brought in the 2K and they don't even open up the 8 boxes, just deposit them in my account as cash.

I am actually thinking of doing 1k a week until it ends. I don't think 1K will upset the apple cart.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 3:34 pm

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Originally Posted by cruisr
Guess it depends on the bank and your relationship with them. I have deposited about 10K so far and the last time I sent my 18 year old son in with them. They know him and they know me and at this point he just brought in the 2K and they don't even open up the 8 boxes, just deposit them in my account as cash.

I am actually thinking of doing 1k a week until it ends. I don't think 1K will upset the apple cart.
1K is my limit now. I go branch to branch. So far, so good. Maybe I can get enough points for a cruise?
Old Jul 10, 2009, 11:19 am

Just had the strangest thing happen, opened a box of NA's and there was one roll missing! So instead of $250 it had $225.

Called the mint, reported it and they asked that I ship it back. They'd pay for the shipping.

What makes this interesting (in my favor) is that ther obviously was NOT a roll there. the red ends of the rolls have a tendency to leave colored markings at ends of the plastic holders. There were no color marks where the coin(s) were missing from. What I will be sure to do it to take MULTIPLE pictures of that case and the other cases I received proving that nothing was there just in case the mint wants to claim that I kept the roll. to whoever stole the roll from the box when it was being packaged.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 11:25 am

Programs: Spirit,AAdvantage,Onepass,WorldPerks
Exclamation It could kill it!!!

Originally Posted by rebadc
So what does running your CC's up and paying them off every month do to ones FICO.
If you max out your card, even if you pay it in full after the bill was printed your full balance will be reported to the credit agencies. The result may be a very high utilization ratio of your available credit. This can be very damaging to your credit score.
If you have a card that with no preset spending limit (as many world MasterCards are), you might be establishing your highest credit balance, which could be used as your credit limit. If you max that out, they will see it as if you maxed out the card, using all available credit. For more info on this see here http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/cc/20060331a1.asp

The solution to this problem is that you should pay up BEFORE the bill is printed, then you will only have a balance of whatever you haven't paid. However, this only needs to be done the "reporting cycle" before your credit report is pulled.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
The US Mint's website is reporting that NA coins are sold out (at least for the moment).
Old Jul 10, 2009, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by icurhere2
The US Mint's website is reporting that NA coins are sold out (at least for the moment).
Wonder if this is the beginning of the end....

Unfortunately a blog post and other posts detailing just how much people were getting (upwards of 10K/week) could have killed the golden goose... never sure why people gave specifics.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 1:53 pm

Interesting post over at fatwallet about a person who was detained by bank management and the FBI for a 1 hour questioning about the origin of their coin deposits. Might make you high roller depositors think twice!
Old Jul 10, 2009, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by icurhere2
That may be why they took the limit off of the NA's. Open the doors and get the last of the inventory out, too bad they didn't put them on sale. It could also be the same pattern we've seen with the President's, they're sold out and a week or so later they're available again. We'll just have to wait and see.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by jlgrandam
Interesting post over at fatwallet about a person who was detained by bank management and the FBI for a 1 hour questioning about the origin of their coin deposits. Might make you high roller depositors think twice!
I think it should make those lying to the banks think twice. The poster's "coin collector" excuse obviously did not sound right to the teller(s).
Old Jul 10, 2009, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gejone
That may be why they took the limit off of the NA's. Open the doors and get the last of the inventory out, too bad they didn't put them on sale.
One doesn't put coins on "sale" for lower than their face value.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 3:36 pm

Programs: OP, SPG, Amex MR
Originally Posted by emmpee
I think it should make those lying to the banks think twice. The poster's "coin collector" excuse obviously did not sound right to the teller(s).
Why lie? You are not doing anything illegal or even unethical. In fact, you are doing what US Mint wants, and that is spreading the coins and you are doing a service to your federal government.

I always keep the receipt I get when I get these coins. I take it with me when I go deposit my coins. Once the coins are safely in my checking account, I junk it. I don't show them the receipt, but if asked, I can show them (Of course, you are under NO OBLIGATION to show them, but might save you some hassles). Being the combative person I am, if I am asked Qs by an FBI agent, my simple question to him/her will be "Are you arresting or detaining me?" If not, than "have a good day". Its BS, let the agent go hassle some other schmuck.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by soitgoes
One doesn't put coins on "sale" for lower than their face value.
It appears you didn't catch my attempt at some humor. Of course they don't put the coins on sale, unlike a regular merchant who might do so to reduce inventory. The change to no limit's on NA's was almost as good.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.