Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2009, 4:19 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

When an order is shipped Next Day Air, is it typically delivered by 10:30 am?
Old Jun 24, 2009, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
I have received all of my packages by 10:00 am. However I'm not sure how dependent this is on where you fall within UPS's route. My apartment complex normally gets its UPS and FedEx packages early in the morning.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 4:40 pm

Programs: Hilton gold
Its supposed to be delivered by 10 all mine come at 1030am.UPS guy says the boxes are the first deliveries of the day.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 4:53 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
According to UPS (http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/shi...ice/index.html), Next Day Air is suppose to arrive by 10:30am. For me, most of the time it arrives at 9:05am, so I guess it is the first delivery of the day.

My Jun 22 order is still on hold; not even in process.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by buschoi
According to UPS (http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/shi...ice/index.html), Next Day Air is suppose to arrive by 10:30am. For me, most of the time it arrives at 9:05am, so I guess it is the first delivery of the day.

Registered, or not?
Old Jun 24, 2009, 6:06 pm

Programs: AS 100k, AA MM, HH Dia
citi socal

Looks like a memo really did go out for citibank in socal-- Just went to a 2nd branch and the same thing happened, the manager ran up to me when I got to the teller window and started to heavily question me... I only had $1k dollars to deposit and she would NOT accept them unless I could produce proof of where I got them from-- "we are starting investigations with everyone making large dollar coins deposits". I went out to my car got the shipping receipt and returned with the remainder of my order and said, "If you want to hassle me, fine, but I'm depositing all of them now." We got into a small shouting match and the manager agreed to take $2k.

Again, the teller was cool as always and ended the conversation with "see you again tomorrow,' but YMMV in the coming weeks as citi decides what to do, in socal atleast. I'm going to try to deposit the remained at wells fargo tomorrow...
Old Jun 24, 2009, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by leroix
... The manager then read me the riot act about how I am being selfish and how it costs citi so much money to send these coins back. ...
Sure I think we can all try to use the coins instead of depositing them all, but taxpayers bailed out Citi and I have zero sympathy for them.

(ok, off my soapbox now)
Old Jun 24, 2009, 7:09 pm

I can't believe you guys are having this much trouble. The most difficulty I've ever run into is opening all of the coins (had to be shipped unrolled to be counted) and then had to wait 7 days for it to be credited.

It is my understanding that it is unlawful for the bank to refuse to allow you to deposit legal tender. I would also avoid a bank that gave you that much hassle.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by leroix
We got into a small shouting match and the manager agreed to take $2k.
Rather than shout, vote with your wallet. If they give you trouble, ask to close your account on the spot, and explain that you'll take your money to a bank that appreciates you.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 9:26 pm

I started doing very small deposits now, besides being better for my back. It is a real burden on the bank tellers and branch. No one yet has given me the stink eye but I can tell it's becoming a hassle for them to ship the coins back. I have a big account with BofA, so maybe that's why they don't give me a lot of hassle but once when I made a huge deposit I saw them roll the coins to the vault on chairs. That's when I decided to just go to different branches around town. My only concern now is that I don't get a call from the Feds for layering or whatever that thing is called where you put in small amounts at various branches to avoid the 10K but then again, nothing illegal going on, just explain and show reciepts from the mint.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 9:42 pm

I opened a checking account just for this

I did not have a local bank, so I opened a free checking account (no interest, but rates are so low it hardly matters). Got a $50 bonus for opening the account. Coin counting machines, so far no hassle. But those bags in the counting machine are going to be a lot fuller.

If/when I get serious grief, I can close it up, since I don't plan on linking anything to that account. But for now, all I want to do is restore the *wood points I cashed in for 5 nights in Paris. Then, of course, being an early member of FT (Member #69, I kid you not), I might want to replensh the UA miles I used for my biz class ticket.

The last order went to the office, and that is a pain, so I have to figure something else out. Or bring a cart to the office.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 9:55 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

What would one consider a "small," a "reasonable" and a "large" deposit to be?
Old Jun 24, 2009, 9:56 pm

Programs: AS 100k, AA MM, HH Dia
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by silam
It is my understanding that it is unlawful for the bank to refuse to allow you to deposit legal tender.
Sadly not... Direct from the treasury. "Although U.S. currency and coins are "legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues" [Coinage Act of 1965], there is no federal statute "mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as . . . payment for goods and/or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether or not to accept cash unless there is a state law which says otherwise." Banks are private businesses, and they can establish their own rules concerning whether or how they will accept currency and/or coin for deposit or exchange "

Originally Posted by cepheid
Rather than shout, vote with your wallet. If they give you trouble, ask to close your account on the spot, and explain that you'll take your money to a bank that appreciates you.
Oh the thought really did cross my mind. They did everything but call me a criminal for making these two deposits today. I await the results of these "investigations" they've now started -- it wouldn't surprise me if they decide to ask me to bank elsewhere... My addiction to thank you points is keeping me there still, but with the continued devaluation that is becoming less of an incentive.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 10:24 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Gold, Choice Priveleges Gold, Club Carlson Silver, Wyndham Rewards, UMP, DL, ANA
Originally Posted by buschoi

I placed an order on Jun 23 and my order was changed from on hold to in process today. ^
Old Jun 24, 2009, 10:51 pm

What would one consider a "small," a "reasonable" and a "large" deposit to be?
I'll entertain this question. Large is when you're about to fall over from the coins being too heavy and you can't carry it into the bank in one trip. I consider a reasonable deposit, something I can hold in my hands and stand in line with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.