Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2009, 10:40 am

Programs: Hilton gold
Originally Posted by Eurosport
i wonder if it's better to cancel this week order (if that delay is true, the mint also been saying they are 2-3 weeks behind and expect delays which obviously hasn't been the case) and place an order next week. ups next day air>ground shipping final delivery through your USPS center...
I did a cancel 2 weeks ago only problem was the credit card hold is still showing.It reduced the avalibile credit on my one card.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by jim5518
I did a cancel 2 weeks ago only problem was the credit card hold is still showing.It reduced the avalibile credit on my one card.
yeah some cc companies drop the hold after a few days other like you said couple weeks.
i think i'd rather have a cc hold and cancelled order rather than 46+lbs of coin going ground and through the local post office ;p
Old Jun 23, 2009, 11:13 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jim5518
I was one of those who had the order canceled for duplicate president-coin orders last week. The order was placed on Jun 14, canceled on Jun 16, and the available credit was released on Jun 20. Normally the hold is for a week, but it may vary.

Despite the temporary unavailability of the expedited shipping, I have a gut feeling that the Mint will still ship the coins with UPS Next Day and require signature upon delivery. It can't risk using USPS and compensate all those that complain of non-recipient, especially with bigger orders. It may take longer to process the order though.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold & Marriott Gold
yeah some cc companies drop the hold after a few days other like you said couple weeks.
i think i'd rather have a cc hold and cancelled order rather than 46+lbs of coin going ground and through the local post office ;p

On that size of an order the coins will come Next Day Air and will require someone to be there to sign for the boxes. They will not leave the boxes with a note on the door or a signature on a delivery notice, a person has to be there to receive the packages.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 5:48 pm

Programs: DL 2+Million Miler, Delta Platinum(by choice), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum
I can confirm that UPS will not leave the box of coins without a signature. My wife and I were not home the day UPS came by. They left a message that they would return the next day as they required a signature. The very next morning they showed up and after my wife's signature, the coins were carried into the front foyer and left for me to haul them around as my wife didn't want to deal with the weight of the box.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 5:59 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Today had $5500 worth to deposit and we hit three branches as my coin carrier was timid. First two no problem but at the third, of all tellers, I got the one that had filled out countless Charter One gift card cash advance slips for me and my son back in the good old days. Yes, she remembered. She took the coins in the boxes but serious attitude - won't go back to that branch.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA 2P, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by FOOLISHRUNNER
I can confirm that UPS will not leave the box of coins without a signature. My wife and I were not home the day UPS came by. They left a message that they would return the next day as they required a signature. The very next morning they showed up and after my wife's signature, the coins were carried into the front foyer and left for me to haul them around as my wife didn't want to deal with the weight of the box.
Agree, I had an order of $1,500 this morning that was signature required.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 9:01 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by LLM
Today had $5500 worth to deposit and we hit three branches as my coin carrier was timid. First two no problem but at the third, of all tellers, I got the one that had filled out countless Charter One gift card cash advance slips for me and my son back in the good old days. Yes, she remembered. She took the coins in the boxes but serious attitude - won't go back to that branch.
Just for giggles, I'd go back to the 3rd branch! If their policy is to take them, let the sour employee hate their job even more
Old Jun 23, 2009, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by gejone
On that size of an order the coins will come Next Day Air and will require someone to be there to sign for the boxes. They will not leave the boxes with a note on the door or a signature on a delivery notice, a person has to be there to receive the packages.
of course normally, but was referring to their new note that's posted on the mint site
Due to the United States Mint’s quarterly inventory, expedited shipping will not be available for orders placed from June 22 through June 28, 2009. United States Mint collectible orders valued over $300 and/or containing gold or platinum will receive a complimentary upgrade, but may experience a slight delay. Expedited shipping will be available again for orders placed on or after June 29, 2009. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
which makes it a little confusing. will they send the larger orders out ground? or will they just not send them at all during this GRAY period? because i doubt they consider the direct shipping circulating coins as "collectible orders"
i'd rather wait until the 29th
Old Jun 23, 2009, 11:35 pm

Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.
which makes it a little confusing. will they send the larger orders out ground? or will they just not send them at all during this GRAY period? because i doubt they consider the direct shipping circulating coins as "collectible orders"
i'd rather wait until the 29th
if you go through normally through to the payment page it still gives me 0 shipping.. i guess it's a good time to take a break from this. Bringing all these heavy boxes of coins is exhausting and back breaking
Old Jun 24, 2009, 10:03 am

Programs: AA LT Gold & Marriott Gold
When you place an order you are given the choice of "standard" or "expediated" shipping. Unless you choose the expediated you will receive the standard, but for the purposes of the $ Coin Direct Ship, standard is Overnight Air at no charge. I wouldn't change my order pattern as their method of shipping isn't goine to change. Our dollar amounts are too high to trust to a non-trackable, un-signed shipping method.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 10:26 am

Is it true that points are no longer awarded for Amex cardholders? Seems I have read 2 sites now that says they no longer issue points and it no longer counts towards your spend.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 10:35 am

UPS isn't supposed to leave signature required boxes, but they did so on my last two orders. They rang the bell and ran. Luckily, I was home at the time, although I was in the back of the house and they couldn't have known I was here. I 'd received the call in the morning telling me a signature would be needed. I'm wondering if they signed my name themselves.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Hawnted
Is it true that points are no longer awarded for Amex cardholders? Seems I have read 2 sites now that says they no longer issue points and it no longer counts towards your spend.
I highly doubt that they are no longer giving points. These are charged as a purchase, just like they should be. These are not cash advances, these CC companies are not advancing you any cash. They take the normal merchant fees just like any other transaction. You are just making a normal purchase, it just happens to be coins. I just had my Hilton card close recently and got the points.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by mareh
UPS isn't supposed to leave signature required boxes, but they did so on my last two orders. They rang the bell and ran. Luckily, I was home at the time, although I was in the back of the house and they couldn't have known I was here. I 'd received the call in the morning telling me a signature would be needed. I'm wondering if they signed my name themselves.
You should make sure that someone at your address previously didn't sign a waiver for them to leave the package. Maybe not you but the previous resident. Just call the UPS customer service and let them know not to do that, one lost package is way too much headache.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.