Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2009, 4:16 pm

Just curious, is the free shipping gone? I tried placing an order for $500 NA coins but couldn't get free shipping. I didn't place the order at the end
Old Jun 21, 2009, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by NDman
Just curious, is the free shipping gone? I tried placing an order for $500 NA coins but couldn't get free shipping. I didn't place the order at the end
Last week when I placed an order it was still free. It shows up initially but at the end of the checkout process the shipping charges is removed.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by ncfinfan
Last week when I placed an order it was still free. It shows up initially but at the end of the checkout process the shipping charges is removed.
Thanks. It turned out I was using a separate shipping address and the shipping charge stayed (for whatever reason). If I chose the same shipping address as the billing, the shipping charge is removed at the end. Weird, but also a heads-up for people, too
Old Jun 21, 2009, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Are y'all taking them to the bank still sealed in the boxes from The Mint?
Yes - I usually take 4 boxes at a time. I already have a ton of pre-filled deposit slips for $1K each.

My 2 local TD Banks don't even bother opening them anymore... the one by my work still gives me funny looks.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 6:12 pm

Coin Counting Machine

My bank said they could not take the rolls as they did not keep that coin in stock (hello, it is money). So, I got to spend a few minutes in front of the automatic (and free) coin counting machine. Next time, I will open them at home and transport in an old Federal Reserve coin bag.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 6:42 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fly2nrt
Yes - I usually take 4 boxes at a time. I already have a ton of pre-filled deposit slips for $1K each.
Because of the weight? Or do you just want to make smaller deposits?
Old Jun 22, 2009, 7:54 am

Wow interesting to see that your banks will take the coins still in their boxes. Mine prefer that I unroll them and bring them back to them in the burlap bags. I've got no problem doing so as it keeps them happy....
Old Jun 22, 2009, 7:59 am

Programs: Hilton gold
Originally Posted by WBurcham
Wow interesting to see that your banks will take the coins still in their boxes. Mine prefer that I unroll them and bring them back to them in the burlap bags. I've got no problem doing so as it keeps them happy....
Mine also takes them in the boxes,Im also amazed by the fast shipping lately my last 2 orders have taken only 5 days each time.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 9:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LLM
Because of the weight? Or do you just want to make smaller deposits?

Ive Never taken them in their boxes. Also this way no 100 questions where I got them etc

And I try to limit my deposit to $1000 max per branch, so 5 branches = $5000 deposit

I feel bringing in too many caues them a hardship, and this way I dont get too many people ticked off. As others have said they been turned down or put thru the wringer. Im just trying to stay beneath the radar
Old Jun 22, 2009, 9:22 am

Programs: Hilton gold
Originally Posted by craz
Ive Never taken them in their boxes. Also this way no 100 questions where I got them etc

And I try to limit my deposit to $1000 max per branch, so 5 branches = $5000 deposit

I feel bringing in too many caues them a hardship, and this way I dont get too many people ticked off. As others have said they been turned down or put thru the wringer. Im just trying to stay beneath the radar
I agree I have 5 branches nearby and I deposit small amounts in each one,never any problems.It was the bank that liked the box idea,easier for them.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 10:51 am
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmmmm....we took in $1000 the first two times but I am expecting $5500 worth tomorrow and I don't want to drib and drab it all week. No reason not to at least TRY taking them to my main bank.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 11:03 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium

I break them into several smaller deposits, too, usually $1,250 or $1,500. A lot of the banks don't like to ship them back to the Fed. They want to circulate the coins to their customers. They can circulate just so much though, and if the amount is too big, they will have no choice but ship them again, which they dislike.

I try to avoid this, and it is not that much of a trouble on my part, since I have several branches between home and work. There are also several around my clients' locations. Sometimes when I bring the coins into a "new" branch, they are simply amazed and several tellers would gather around to look at them right away.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by jim5518
I agree I have 5 branches nearby and I deposit small amounts in each one,never any problems.It was the bank that liked the box idea,easier for them.
Nice to have 5 branches nearby! I've got 2 and one doesn't mind the coins, especially if I've helped out and unwrapped them. Even have the nice burlap sacks @ 2K each.... have deposited in excess of 7K with no issues. All through the drive thru as well.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 4:50 pm

the CC companies allow this? don't they know "government services" is getting coins? or what does it appear as on your bill?

is the only limitation just your max credit limit per month?

has anyone had any problems w/ using this method of getting "free points" with credit cards?
Old Jun 22, 2009, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by WBurcham
Nice to have 5 branches nearby! I've got 2 and one doesn't mind the coins, especially if I've helped out and unwrapped them. Even have the nice burlap sacks @ 2K each.... have deposited in excess of 7K with no issues. All through the drive thru as well.
My credit union manager is being super cool about this. He lets me bring the entire sealed $2500 boxes with 10 little boxes and the Mint packing slip and all, and they process the whole thing. I love my credit union.

I have also gotten the UPS guy to deliver them directly to the trunk of my car. They call at 8 am saying they have a deliver of x boxes, and between 9 and 9:15 sharp the driver is here. I just open the garage door and pop the trunk with the remote and he drops them in. I love UPS too!

Now if I could only get the Mint to ship directly to my credit union...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.