Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Jun 17, 09, 4:31 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 75K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by thehawk75 View Post
Hmmm....

Get the Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass card, then buy 160 boxes of native coins, and you've got diamond status... looking forward to hearing the first story of that...
With the normal $2,000 credit limit for most of the Amex new accounts, that will take a lot of work to get there, although not impossible.

I would still go with the smaller order amount though, just to not kill the goose. I still believe there is a point where the bank still "welcomes" us to make the deposit and not kill the deal. If they want to, they can all work like BofA with the coin bags concept we try to avoid, to stop us from hauling boxes into the branches everyday.
Old Jun 17, 09, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by buschoi View Post
If they want to, they can all work like BofA with the coin bags concept we try to avoid, to stop us from hauling boxes into the branches everyday.
who takes them in boxes? I brake them open and leave them in the rolls but put $500-750 per bag. And then bring them to more then 1 branch

unless Im paying off a CC , say a Chase UAL CC and then will simply bring as much as I can handle to Chase
Old Jun 17, 09, 4:58 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craz View Post
who takes them in boxes?
Union Bank of California, in the same boxes the rolls come from the Mint in.
Old Jun 18, 09, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tbird2000 View Post
Just got an order canceled for 1 box of James Madison, and both lines canceled on a 2 box order with Jackson and Madison .

So looks like they are indeed tracking this, and cracking down on multiple orders.

Just got a cancellation for a president that I forgot I had ordered early last year. But the US Mint remebered. Note that I never registered an account, used a different credit card, but I haven't changed my address.
Old Jun 18, 09, 7:14 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Location: San Diego, CA , 4.2MM+ AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
Just received confirmation that another 5K NAs were shipped, though all my Presidents were canceled.

So it looks like it is still possible to order more than once (actually this is my third NA shipment since May 1st) to the same address.
Old Jun 18, 09, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craz View Post
Got that also today, however the cancellation was sent to a different email address then the one I used when Ordering. Ive used both email addresses in the past.

So I guess they are somehow trying to track everything via the name used and connect it to which ever email address was used in the past.
well they arrived, whats funny is the email that it was shipped was sent to the email address that I used to order them, yet the notice of Cancellation went to a different email address. no Pres
Old Jun 18, 09, 9:13 am

Programs: United 1K
The Mint is getting really fast - just ordered NA on Saturday and got a call today (Thursday) from UPS that the shipment is being delivered today.
Old Jun 18, 09, 9:38 am

Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.
Originally Posted by ChaseTheMiles View Post
Just got a cancellation for a president that I forgot I had ordered early last year. But the US Mint remebered. Note that I never registered an account, used a different credit card, but I haven't changed my address.
wow! that's crazy. must be longest processing time but at least they remembered.
Old Jun 18, 09, 9:44 am

Same as everyone else here: NAs shipped, but presidents cancelled.

Think the Mint just vastly overproduced these NAs? They're basically using all of us to transfer them to the Fed.
Old Jun 18, 09, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Andy2 View Post
Let's not forget that we are doing an enormous patrotic service here. Maybe that is why the mint is so nice when they cancel an order (giving the hint "feel free to place your order again")

The dollar coins allow the government to reduce costs (dollar coins are better in the long run than paper dollars). The difficulty is in getting common people to deal with a new system, i.e. change (no pun intended). Remember the Susan B. Anthony dollar coin disaster?

When we buy coins, the Mint observes an increase in demand and produces more coins. When we deposit the coins I hope that the coins enter the banking / Federal Reserve system (correct me if I am wrong) rather than going back to the Mint. When the banking system recognizes that is has an enormous quantity of dollar coins, it forces its banks to take more delivery of dollar coins instead of dollar bills and the banks but the same pressure on their retail business customers. More dollar coins get handed out to the common folk.

Gradually, individual customers become more accustomed to dollar coins and eventually dollar coins become more prevalent than paper dollars. While this long process occurs, the Mint keeps producing more coins to keep the process working because of our credit card orders. The government saves more money in the long run than it incurs in the short-term costs of paying the credit card fees and shipping. We get free and upgraded travel as the workhorses of this system (it takes a full suitcase and a backpack to transport $5,000 in dollar coins; hence the term workhorse.
Good points that I did not consider prior. I'm forwarding this to my family who think I'm nuts for doing it.
Old Jun 18, 09, 10:16 am

Have seen recent issues (past week) with friends President coins getting canceled even though they hadn't ordered any before.

Then again the mint linked up an order that I made last week under a different email address with an account that I created this week. They are getting better about tracking.
Old Jun 18, 09, 11:59 am

Programs: AA LT Gold & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by josephstern View Post
Think the Mint just vastly overproduced these NAs? They're basically using all of us to transfer them to the Fed.

I think you overestimate the power of FT. A million coin run for the Mint would probably be considered a small run. Assuming there are not a hugh amount of cancelled orders, since Feb. 1st the Mint has processed 1,134,000 orders, I obtained that number by subtracting my first and last order numbers. If 100 FT'ers ordered 50 orders each, that would only total 5,000 orders, and most of us are a long way from 50 orders. Like any company, they have product in inventory and they want to sell it and we are helping them out. When I go to the bank I hear of little demand for the NA's, primarily they want the new Presidents. If the banks aren't ordering them, the Mint is stuck with the NA's in their inventory. Aren't you glad you are preforming a patriotric service for our Country?
Old Jun 18, 09, 12:24 pm

Placed an order for 3 boxes of NA and two boxes of Presidential coins on Monday. I did it through an account, and nothing was canceled. They split the order into two shipments, one yesterday and one today. The tracking numbers aren't working yet, but they must not have overnighted them because UPS would have been here by now.
Old Jun 18, 09, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by WBurcham View Post
Well I just ordered 20+ Native America boxes.

*edit* the charge HAS hit my credit card as pending...

I will let you know if it gets canceled. If anyone thinks I would be better to keep this under wraps, please let me know.
And she's been canceled... apparently the address didn't match up with what Citi had. Citi says that they approved the charge but the US Mint says they didn't. Wonder who is correct. From now on, only shipping to my house!

Last edited by WBurcham; Jun 18, 09 at 3:02 pm
Old Jun 18, 09, 2:54 pm

Location: Half time in PDX, Half time in Ajijic, Mexico. Near GDL
Programs: AA Platinum
Very Fast Delivery

Ordered (President's only, No NA) on Monday morning...delivered Thursday morning. Fastest so far for me. Keep up the good work USMint.
Having no trouble reordering same Presidents...or getting Chase to take them in their boxes.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: