Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old May 28, 2009, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by Long Zhiren
Is this thread long enough yet? Can I divert to numismatic issues?
I got many orders of 2007 Washington's and 2009 Sacagawea's. But so far for what I've received, all of the Washingtons are D-mints and all of the Sacagaweas are P-mints. Everything else has come in P's and D's.
Has anybody gotten Washingtons with P-mint marks or Sacagaweas with D-mint marks? just wondering.
Also is it just me, or has anyone noticed that the quality of the minting process is absolutely terrible now? For uncirculated coins, these things have a tremendous number of nicks, gouges and scratches.
I got Sacagaweas that are D's
Old May 28, 2009, 7:06 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
So who is the FT'er who has been depositing $1 coins at the Wells Fargo in-store branch at Fry's Marketplace on Warner in Chandler, AZ?

I go in with my latest $750 batch - first time at this location - and the teller next window over asks, "Ordering online?" I mention I must not be alone. He then says some other customer is earning enough for a free plane ticket.
Old May 28, 2009, 11:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Not sure if I mentioned it earlier, but the same thing happened to me at a Chase branch in Chicago when I took in my first deposit. "Are you the guy that always brings these coins in?" Haha, that made me feel good.
Old May 29, 2009, 7:27 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
I got many orders of 2007 Washington's and 2009 Sacagawea's. But so far for what I've received, all of the Washingtons are D-mints and all of the Sacagaweas are P-mints. Everything else has come in P's and D's.
Has anybody gotten Washingtons with P-mint marks or Sacagaweas with D-mint marks? just wondering.
Also is it just me, or has anyone noticed that the quality of the minting process is absolutely terrible now? For uncirculated coins, these things have a tremendous number of nicks, gouges and scratches.
I agree, the quality of these coins seems pretty poor.
Old May 29, 2009, 8:03 am

Programs: AA LT Gold & Marriott Gold
Welcome to FT. As a new member you may not realize that a thead is supposed to stay on topic. I would suggest if you would like to discuss numismatic issues that you start a new thread as that topic has nothing to do with Miles Buzz and this thread is getting long enough as is.
Old May 29, 2009, 8:29 am
ecq

something odd has happened. andrew jackson says that the product is not available. not sure if it means they're stopping that particular coin? thomas jefferson is sold out.
Old May 29, 2009, 8:31 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SWA CP
These are not UNCIRCULATED, they are clearly labeled on the website as "CIRCULATING".

UNCIRCULATED are available, but at a much steeper price not worthy of mention in this thread about how to use this process to gather miles/points.
Old May 30, 2009, 12:30 am

More Money, Less Problems

If you are approaching your limit and worried about back orders kicking in, why not simply call your cc company and request an increased line of credit?
Old May 30, 2009, 2:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by sconlan
If you are approaching your limit and worried about back orders kicking in, why not simply call your cc company and request an increased line of credit?
It's not that easy these days. With banks tightening credit it is by no means assured that you will get the increase. And it will cost you a hard pull of your credit report.
Old May 30, 2009, 9:24 am

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Originally Posted by sconlan
Amex is particularly difficult about this. I like to use the SPG card and I have to constantly watch the limit. It's very annoying.
Old May 30, 2009, 8:30 pm

Programs: RVT 1K
I was able to go to the site and order up $5500 (20 & 2) but it seems to add $4.95 shipping is this right?

Can someone point me to the right place in this thread where it talks about depositing this money into and acct. and what the banks report/frown on?
Thanks!
Old May 30, 2009, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by RS250Racer
I was able to go to the site and order up $5500 (20 & 2) but it seems to add $4.95 shipping is this right?

Can someone point me to the right place in this thread where it talks about depositing this money into and acct. and what the banks report/frown on?
Thanks!
If you ordered 20 NA's and 2 Presidents, you should not have been charged shipping. Check your copy of the order. If you ordered 22 NA's, then you should have been charged shipping, the limit for free shipping is 20 NA's and 2 each of Presidents.

The bank doesn't "frown" on the deposits, the government requires them to do certain reports. If you exceed $10,000 in cash/coin depostis or it appears you have structured deposits to avoid the $10,000 threshold in any one day, they are required to fill out a form. Buying coins and depositing them is legal and should not require the form (you are subject to the $10,000 rules) and is not a taxable transaction.

If you take your coins to the bank and buy a money order/cashiers check, there is a lower reporting threshold, not sure the exact amount, but $2,500 will trigger the report.
Old May 31, 2009, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by RS250Racer

Thanks!
It initially says "estimated" shipping of $4.95, but that should be taken off when you get to the final summary page.

Some banks will hassle you about depositing large amounts of coins. It's not a legal issue, they just don't like dealing with them.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 10:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP
AMEX HHonors Surpass - Diamond status with $40,000

Anyone hoping to use this to reach a spending threshold for higher status with your creditcard? I just signed up for the AMEX HHonors Surpass, and I'm hoping to reach the $40,000 threshold for Diamond status with this little program. I've only got $9,000 in spending total this year on the AMEX, so I'm going to need to run about $20k in dollar coins in the next 7 months on top of normal spending to make it. Gonna be a little tough, but I have a feeling that it's possible. Anyone else?
Old Jun 2, 2009, 11:14 pm

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
Originally Posted by ken7
Anyone hoping to use this to reach a spending threshold for higher status with your creditcard? I just signed up for the AMEX HHonors Surpass, and I'm hoping to reach the $40,000 threshold for Diamond status with this little program. I've only got $9,000 in spending total this year on the AMEX, so I'm going to need to run about $20k in dollar coins in the next 7 months on top of normal spending to make it. Gonna be a little tough, but I have a feeling that it's possible. Anyone else?
interesting...is there way to do this with the SPG AMEX card as well??

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.