Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old May 21, 09, 4:32 pm
  #2236  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: At an airport-on a cruise ship
Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum Thnks to FT
Posts: 4,263
Got another 5K today. This was the first time that UPS asked for a signature. My husband still cannot understand what this whole thing is all about. Then again he doesn't understand me flying to SEA and coming right back to get DEQM. Actually he doesn't even know what DEQMs are.

I have never had a problem with my bank and i keep increasing the amount I bring in. Don't think I'm going to bring in all 5K at once. Way to heavy for me.
cruisr is offline  
Old May 21, 09, 4:57 pm
  #2237  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: IAH
Posts: 536
Anybody have any problems getting the miles credited OK?

I'm just wondering if any of the credit cards will try to consider coin purchases as Cash Advances, or not give miles.
Euroflyer is offline  
Old May 21, 09, 5:10 pm
  #2238  
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: SFO
Programs: United 1K
Posts: 2,261
All mine were listed as purchases and not cash advances.
jaguar is offline  
Old May 21, 09, 5:47 pm
  #2239  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Purgatory
Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Posts: 9,232
They go on credit card as US Mint Coin Sales. There's no way to tell whether you bought legal tender or non-legal tender coins. It's a standard charge. That's not to say the future process couldn't change.

I have read in this thread some question about Amex changing the way it handles US Mint Coin Sales charges, however. I haven't used my Amex so I have no first hand knowledge of this. If in fact Amex is preventing reward miles/points, that's ridiculous since it's still a standard charge subject to same merchant fee - Amex shouldn't care what you purchased in my opinion.
ArizonaGuy is offline  
Old May 21, 09, 6:15 pm
  #2240  
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Northport, NY
Posts: 1,675
I just received an order that I charged on my HHonors Amex. It posted as "US MINT COIN SALES-D8008726468 0 ". All my past orders were charged as purchases as they should.
Schutzee is offline  
Old May 21, 09, 8:37 pm
  #2241  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: DFW/SEA
Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.
Posts: 2,045
apparently im still able to get more than 2 boxes of the same presidents. I accidentally ordered 1K of Jefferson last week-(2 separate orders of 500) within minutes of each other. 1 order came. just got confirmation for the other 500. i really meant to order 500 of the jackson's. i was positive that the second order of jefferson was going to cancel..but surprisingly it went through.

Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy View Post
They go on credit card as US Mint Coin Sales. There's no way to tell whether you bought legal tender or non-legal tender coins. It's a standard charge. That's not to say the future process couldn't change.

I have read in this thread some question about Amex changing the way it handles US Mint Coin Sales charges, however. I haven't used my Amex so I have no first hand knowledge of this. If in fact Amex is preventing reward miles/points, that's ridiculous since it's still a standard charge subject to same merchant fee - Amex shouldn't care what you purchased in my opinion.
this has been discussed before somewhere in the 145 pages.. Amex gets their cut out of this too as the merchant(US Mint) has to pay a service fee for every charge that goes through.

Last edited by aaron1262; May 21, 09 at 8:42 pm
aaron1262 is offline  
Old May 22, 09, 10:53 am
  #2242  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
Posts: 2,557
Got an email yesterday from the US Mint that 5000 NA coins had shipped. This morning, UPS called me with an automated message that they were delivering 2 boxes requiring signature today. I've never received a phone call like that before for any shipment, including my previous order of 4500 NAs.
Helena Handbaskets is offline  
Old May 22, 09, 11:44 am
  #2243  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: SJC,SFO,OAK
Programs: WN,UA,AA,
Posts: 520
Originally Posted by cruisr View Post
Got another 5K today. This was the first time that UPS asked for a signature. My husband still cannot understand what this whole thing is all about. Then again he doesn't understand me flying to SEA and coming right back to get DEQM. Actually he doesn't even know what DEQMs are.

I have never had a problem with my bank and i keep increasing the amount I bring in. Don't think I'm going to bring in all 5K at once. Way to heavy for me.
May I know how many $K you already purchased?
thx
zzyzx is offline  
Old May 22, 09, 12:59 pm
  #2244  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hopefully on a plane...
Posts: 6,580
Wirelessly posted (ATT Tilt: 8900a/1.2 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.6) UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

I had a strange thing happen yesterday, got the confirmation email for shipping of 2 boxes of each president.

what gets odd is that the ups tracking numbers don't work AND there was no delivery today.... i'm traveling today so no chance to call and see what's up.

WBurcham is offline  
Old May 22, 09, 1:05 pm
  #2245  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BOS
Programs: Hilton Diamond Marriott Plat
Posts: 270
Originally Posted by zzyzx View Post
May I know how many $K you already purchased?
thx
You got me wondering how many $K I've purchased so far. Ive been doing this steadily at $500 or $1,000 at a time on various Travel Rewards Credit Cards since sometime in the fall... The first handful of receipts (maybe $5K-ish) I just ripped up and threw away, but since then I've been saving every one.

When I counted up my actual Packing Lists, I counted $24,500 worth. When I add in the first handful of order I don't have the packing list from, I'd say I'm close to $30,000 (& 30,000 Miles...)
terockwo is offline  
Old May 22, 09, 2:08 pm
  #2246  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Posts: 2,885
After wasting time to unload 750 dollar coins in the coin bag at my Bank of America branch...only to wait 3 days and see $747 credited to my account, I gave them a piece of my mind and then proceeded to drive down to Chase where I also have a backup checking account. I gave them the boxes containing 1,000 dollar coins after opening them. No opening of the rolls needed, out of there in 2 mins!

Good to have fee free backup checking accounts around
gpapadop is offline  
Old May 22, 09, 2:20 pm
  #2247  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: DFW/SEA
Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.
Posts: 2,045
Originally Posted by WBurcham View Post
Wirelessly posted (ATT Tilt: 8900a/1.2 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.6) UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

I had a strange thing happen yesterday, got the confirmation email for shipping of 2 boxes of each president.

what gets odd is that the ups tracking numbers don't work AND there was no delivery today.... i'm traveling today so no chance to call and see what's up.

this has happened to me before. What i've found is that there is a delay of one day every time my tracking numbers don't work. Got one of these last night..so im expecting my package to arrive Tuesday Since monday is a holiday.
aaron1262 is offline  
Old May 22, 09, 2:31 pm
  #2248  
ecq
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 282
Originally Posted by WBurcham View Post
Wirelessly posted (ATT Tilt: 8900a/1.2 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.6) UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

I had a strange thing happen yesterday, got the confirmation email for shipping of 2 boxes of each president.

what gets odd is that the ups tracking numbers don't work AND there was no delivery today.... i'm traveling today so no chance to call and see what's up.

try using it at the fedex or ups website. it'll show up after you received it or failed delivery. i don't know if it's ups or usmint that's the slow one, i'd blame the usmint. as lon gas the coins get to you, that's all that matters ^
ecq is offline  
Old May 22, 09, 2:32 pm
  #2249  
ecq
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 282
Originally Posted by terockwo View Post
You got me wondering how many $K I've purchased so far. Ive been doing this steadily at $500 or $1,000 at a time on various Travel Rewards Credit Cards since sometime in the fall... The first handful of receipts (maybe $5K-ish) I just ripped up and threw away, but since then I've been saving every one.

When I counted up my actual Packing Lists, I counted $24,500 worth. When I add in the first handful of order I don't have the packing list from, I'd say I'm close to $30,000 (& 30,000 Miles...)
omg that's an insane amount of coins. have they started cancelling your orders like IAHtraveller?
ecq is offline  
Old May 22, 09, 2:44 pm
  #2250  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 372
Originally Posted by WBurcham View Post
Wirelessly posted (ATT Tilt: 8900a/1.2 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.6) UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

I had a strange thing happen yesterday, got the confirmation email for shipping of 2 boxes of each president.

what gets odd is that the ups tracking numbers don't work AND there was no delivery today.... i'm traveling today so no chance to call and see what's up.

yep, as aaron1262 has mentioned, sometimes there is a delay of a day or two. You get a notification when they generate a shipping label, but you won't see anything until UPS actually scans the package into their system.
sfducati is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: