Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old May 19, 09, 5:40 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Location: San Diego, CA , 4.2MM+ AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
Tales From a First Time Buyer

Many thans to all who posted on this thread-

I placed my first order for $5,000 Native American Dollars on 4/21/09. Never received an e-mail confirmation so on 4/30 I called the Mint and was told they are waiting for "my letter." I asked, what letter, and they replied that since I was a first time buyer and did not set up an account online, they needed to verify information and had sent me a letter to my "ship to" address. Once they received my letter back (I could call them to expedite the process and mail a hard copy) they would process my order.

I told them I never received a letter and they said they would send another one.

After a week I called back and told them I did not have a letter. The agent said, "what letter?" She said there was no hold on my account and they were no notes about a letter. My order had been pulled and was in the warehouse but because of the Lincoln pennies, they were delayed in shipping and if I didn't have my order by the end of the month (May) to call them.

I decided to place another order for $5,000 Native American Dollars just in case there was a problem with my first order and set up an online account before doing so. I also used a different credit card. Order was accepted and a confirmation e-mail was sent. The next day I received a notice (e-mail) that my order was automatically cancelled. So I called the Mint and was told that I had exceeded the household limit of Native American dollars. I guess I missed it in the 2200 posts that you can only order 20 boxes per coin. So I asked the agent what I could buy and she said Presidential Dollars, which have the same limit. So I placed an order for $5,000 George Washington dollars, received a confirmation e-mail and I am waiting.

Sunday (yes, Sunday May 17th) I received an e-mail that my Native American Dollars had shipped.
On Monday May 18th a charge for $5,000 dated 5/17 posted to my credit card from US Mint Coin Sales.
Today, Tuesday May 19th I received two boxes via UPS. Each weighs about 46 lbs.

I took them to my local B of A branch where I have a merchant account. They were originally reluctant to accept them, but after a few phone calls, gave me 4 large plastic bags, told me to put all of the rolls into the bags ($1250 per bag), seal them, fill out the tags on the bags and they would send them to the vault to verify the coin count was correct.

Now I just need the credit card to cycle and confirm I received all the points for the transaction (which I expect I will) and it will put me over the 40K spend for Diamond on my Surpass card. Just in time because my current status expires at the end of June.

Again, thanks to all for your help.

Waiting for the second shipment!
Old May 19, 09, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by FrAAmer View Post
So I placed an order for $5,000 George Washington dollars, received a confirmation e-mail and I am waiting.
I wonder how exactly were U able to order $5000 worth of Washingtons and how did the system not reject U (U R supposed to be able to order max 2 boxes of each president per order).
Old May 19, 09, 6:24 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Ordered with a CSR on the phone when I asked why they cancelled my second NA dollar order.

I just asked her what else I could order if I couldn't order any more NA Dollars. I guess it is the same as how I could order 20 boxes of NA dollars.

I'll report if I receive them. Confirming e-mail says 20 boxes.
Old May 19, 09, 6:59 pm

Programs: US,AA
I've done this now on 3 separate occasions and they just 'show up' no notification or whatever or notification after the fact
Old May 19, 09, 7:24 pm

Programs: Priority Club Plat Ambassador
Not sure if it is odd...I just think they dont want to have to pay to ship back to the Fed. It makes sense that they would be trying to get existing customers to take them off their hands.
Old May 19, 09, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess I missed it in the 2200 posts that you can only order 20 boxes per coin. So I asked the agent what I could buy and she said Presidential Dollars, which have the same limit.
The limitations on each type of coins are right on the Mint's website where you place your orders.

I dont see how you can miss it.
Old May 19, 09, 8:18 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Update

When I got home this evening there was an e-mail from the mint that my George Washington dollars had shipped, but they did reduce the quantity to 2 boxes. At least they didn't cancel the order outright.

So I placed an order for two boxes of all of the other dollars and will have to wait for the new releases (next one on May 21st) to continue the process.

Thanks for the "heads up" re the limit of two boxes of the other dollars. Don't know why the CSR offered me 20 boxes when I called. I never went to the website for the presidential dollars, the CSR told me on the telephone about them and offered to sell me the 20 boxes, so I assumed it would be the same quantity limits for the Presidential dollars as the Native American dollars.

Also, from post 2207 above, fredice states the limit is 2 boxes of each president "per order".

The CSR I spoke with said I was rejected from the additional 20 box order of NA dollars because it is 20 boxes PER HOUSEHOLD, not per order. So it looks like my wife can't do the same thing. Where on the website does it say that the maximum of each coin is per household and not per order?

Has anyone been able to repeat order Presidential Dollars? NA Dollars?

Last edited by FrAAmer; May 19, 09 at 8:28 pm
Old May 19, 09, 8:39 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Have we been able to in the past? Yes. However, they're cracking down on it now and won't let you get more than the limit per address.
Old May 20, 09, 12:21 am

Also, from post 2207 above, fredice states the limit is 2 boxes of each president "per order".

The CSR I spoke with said I was rejected from the additional 20 box order of NA dollars because it is 20 boxes PER HOUSEHOLD, not per order. So it looks like my wife can't do the same thing. Where on the website does it say that the maximum of each coin is per household and not per order?
Well, if U go to Circulating $1 Coin Direct Ship Rolls page, U"ll see "More" link next to the quantity. If U click on it, it does say, "Orders are limited to two boxes ($500) per President", in bold. However, I believe that it is per household. The reason I said per order is because, it was possible to get more than 2 per pres. in the past although not in one order.
So, I guess the question for those of U who are now rejected: Did U register on the US Mint site? Maybe if U R registered, your orders are easier to track? I'm not registered myself, and I'll need to buy about $2500 worth of coins very soon, and I'm quite worried now as I pretty much reached the limit.
Old May 20, 09, 4:50 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Originally Posted by friedice View Post
I wonder how exactly were U able to order $5000 worth of Washingtons and how did the system not reject U (U R supposed to be able to order max 2 boxes of each president per order).
U R Corx2ect...tk U 4 pstng this.
Old May 20, 09, 11:57 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler View Post
Have we been able to in the past? Yes. However, they're cracking down on it now and won't let you get more than the limit per address.
How did you come to that conclusion? I just had my (n+1)th order shipped out yesterday (from an order placed a week ago in order to fulfill a $750 spend threshold for my Citi AA churn). Sure, they might be 'cracking down'... but when were they not? It doesn't mean you can't get extra orders in.

Too much rumor here, not enough fact...
Old May 20, 09, 2:07 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by thehawk75 View Post
How did you come to that conclusion? I just had my (n+1)th order shipped out yesterday (from an order placed a week ago in order to fulfill a $750 spend threshold for my Citi AA churn). Sure, they might be 'cracking down'... but when were they not? It doesn't mean you can't get extra orders in.

Too much rumor here, not enough fact...
I'm glad you've been able to get yours to keep shipping. Unfortunately, everyone that I personally know with >20 NA or >2 Pres boxes has been cut off in the past 2 weeks. Hopefully my wife will be able to get as lucky as you. Maybe you don't want to post it here (maybe a PM?): Are you logged in and using the same card/name/address/phone number/etc when placing your orders?
Old May 20, 09, 2:50 pm

Since the rules should, by now, be perfectly clear to even the most stubborn among us, please ...

Don't kill the Golden Goose
Or something like that.
Old May 20, 09, 11:32 pm

works for me

Placed order 4 different orders, 2 for $500 (presidents) and 2 for $250 N/A, 2 different credit cards from an established account. Didn't abuse the 2-250 per president rule, Placed on Wednesday, today (earlier) I checked the account and saw that it was being processed. This evening got e-mail that it shipped. WOW, this is so much better than the 2ish week wait previously the "norm" with the mint. Now I know to be home the next few mornings for the UPS delivery... we usually don't have anyone ringing bell in my "neck of the woods".
I don't abuse the rules and try to circulate the coins a bit.
Works well when we get the new citicards.
Good luck.
Old May 21, 09, 7:25 am

Update

Last night the e-mail confirmation came in.
This AM (8AM) I got a call (Utah based #) confirming a UPS delivery for today (actually) so it seems like there's a really fast turnaround from order placement to delivery. Charge still hasn't posted to CC (but that usually happens 2 days later). I'll see if it's the N/A order (2 at $250 each) or president (2 $500 orders, 2 different presidents).
Madison and Jefferson just arrived less than 2 hrs after confirming phone call UPS guy was glad to see I was home and I was glad I didn't "kill" a day waiting around to delivery.

Last edited by cmjaffe; May 21, 09 at 8:13 am Reason: update

Search this Thread
Search Engine: