Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old May 13, 09, 7:24 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
The BofA branches have no coin machines. The bag is tagged and sent out to some other branch (they did not tell me the location) to be counted. Losing $3 this way really pisses me off
Old May 13, 09, 10:15 am
ecq

Originally Posted by darkhunter View Post
Sorry if this has been asked before, i'm sure it has, this thread is just too long for me to read every post

But does it make a difference if you check out as a guest each time
or if you register? I mean if you registered would they keep better track of your orders and enforce limits???

Any thoughts/experiences?
i've ordered three times from the mint. first time was unregistered and the other two were registered. i like being register because you can easily track your order. but that's the only highlight of being registered. i dont' see any other pluses. you can track your order if you're not registered but it's just an extra step to doing it.

as for limits, not sure if it's enforced? iah has ordered a lot and i am up to 9500. just received my second order today and waiting for another 1k. so not sure if there is a limit.

Originally Posted by gejone View Post
It's probably the banks coin machine. I recently had the issue with one of my bank's machine counting 112 half dollars on a $2,500 deposit. I had suggested they use a new bag on the machine before they started but they didn't, so they had to recount the entire machine. They still came up $4 short and when I made the point that the US Mint's machines were probably the most accurate as compared to their's, they gave me credit for the $2,500. The most frustraing thing was the 1.5 hour wait while they did the recount. I know, my time is worth more than that, but a $60 error was too much. I won't be using that branch again.
i made about $1 from left over coins in the machine counter. it was when i put $7500 in several banks during several visits. so knowing the correct amount does help, it should count all the coins but sometimes tehre's money leftover.
Old May 13, 09, 11:15 am
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
Originally Posted by dingo View Post
My bank has one of those automated coin counting machines available to the customers for free and I'm of the belief that they take dollar coins...we'll see.
I'd suggest you first try to deposit the rolled coins directly with a teller and only unwrap and feed them to the machine if you must.
Old May 13, 09, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by gpapadop View Post
The BofA branches have no coin machines. The bag is tagged and sent out to some other branch (they did not tell me the location) to be counted. Losing $3 this way really pisses me off
On a $5000 deposit they accepted and gave me a receipt for (and credit to my account), a week later they debited $57.34 from my account. What was amusing was that with a straight face they said 'your $5000 deposit in $1 coins was determined to be $57.34 short of $5000', to which I had to ask 'how does a deposit in $1 coins only end up short a denomination of 34 cents?' Later the teller admitted that the coins are in fact NOT counted, but, weighed. Apparently their scales said I was short 57.34 coins

End of story, they gave me back the $57.34 they tried to take, but, this makes me very hesitant to deposit with B of A any more (or at least large amounts).
Old May 13, 09, 1:24 pm

It seems like a common denominator is BofA. I have deposited coins at WAMU, Chase and BofA and have had no problems...yet. I think I will avoid BofA from now on based on all these stories here.
Old May 13, 09, 1:31 pm

Programs: Priority Club Plat Ambassador
My local credit union has been very accomodating. They just count the rolls (and validate with another teller). They also offered me the option of using their coin counting machine (like coinstar) fee free. Surprisingly, they prefered that I deposited with the teller and not break open the rolls, as they were very excited to have rolls they could now give to customers who have been asking for quite some time. The encouraged me to continue bringing the rolls to them so they could meet customer demand!
Old May 13, 09, 3:18 pm

Programs: OP, SPG, Amex MR
In for 20 boxes of the 2009 Circulating $1 Coin Direct Ship Rolls Native American Agriculture (N01) for $5000. Charged to my Schwab Visa. At 2%, its a cool $100. I plan to deposit it into my WF PMA checking account. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old May 13, 09, 3:25 pm

Deposited my first lot(mere $1000 ) today at citibank. The cashier was first amused but then seemed a bit annoyed as I kept pulling out more rolls out of my backpack. She didn't open it but just rubber-banded it in packs of 4($100). The manager was smiling throughout and asked me if I had more
Old May 13, 09, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
It finally happened... got the coins but no credit card charge

This was bound to happen to someone...

I had placed an order for $5,000 NAs back in March. Between that time and the time that they shipped in late April my wallet was stolen, and naturally I had canceled that credit card. I received the $5K of coins, but there is no charge on my credit card. Not surprising, considering that the credit card number I gave them no longer exists.

Anyone else have this happen to them?

I expect that at some point they will catch on and contact me, but I wonder if it will take the month+ that is takes to ship coins. I think I'll give it another week or so, and if they don't contact me in another week I will contact them and fess up.
Old May 13, 09, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles View Post
I think I'll give it another week or so, and if they don't contact me in another week I will contact them and fess up.
The right thing to do. Congratulations. In fact you should probably contact them now because there is no way for them to have the correct CC number.
Old May 13, 09, 6:06 pm

Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.

I had placed an order for $5,000 NAs back in March. Between that time and the time that they shipped in late April my wallet was stolen, and naturally I had canceled that credit card. I received the $5K of coins, but there is no charge on my credit card. Not surprising, considering that the credit card number I gave them no longer exists.

I expect that at some point they will catch on and contact me, but I wonder if it will take the month+ that is takes to ship coins. I think I'll give it another week or so, and if they don't contact me in another week I will contact them and fess up.
so essentially you just got $5000 for free at least you're an honest person and eventually will report it.
Old May 13, 09, 6:06 pm

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Oh no!

You won't get the FF points!
Old May 13, 09, 6:10 pm

The last few times our order was processed it took about a day or two after receipt for the actual charge to appear on my credit card statement. This might be what's happening w/you too. You might was to call the "mint" to make sure they have an active account.
Old May 13, 09, 6:29 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by thebat View Post
You won't get the FF points!
If you give them another miles-earning card, you will!
Old May 13, 09, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I think they will contact you, someone else had this problem.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: