Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old May 7, 09, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by HLS2002 View Post
For the first time, the $4.95 freight charge appeared in my e-mail order confirmation. I don't really want to call and enquire, or else it may kill the deal for me. Has anyone else actually gotten to this stage? We all know the freight charge appears erroneously on one of the preliminary order screens. For this most recent order, the charge (properly, and as usual) disappeared in the final order stage, but then the e-mail displayed it again.

It seems like it might be a glitch associated with part of the order being sold out/backordered.
One time they charged me the shipping in error. They sent me a check as reimbursement without a problem.
Old May 7, 09, 10:02 am

Programs: Priority Club Plat./Ambassador; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; UA Silver
Originally Posted by rc408 View Post
One time they charged me the shipping in error. They sent me a check as reimbursement without a problem.
Excellent: an extra 5 miles for me!
Old May 7, 09, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by HLS2002 View Post
Excellent: an extra 5 miles for me!
Thats what I was thinking. If they could overcharge me by about $10,000 and then just send a check to reimburse me I'd be ok with that.
Old May 7, 09, 11:19 am

So any chance this would work?

I order another $7K in coins, free shipping.

For the shipping address, I put the address where I send my check to my credit card company, with another line in there with my account number.

So, effectively, I'd be using the cash to pre-pay the bill.

Anyone know if credit card companies have any terms that prohibit cash payments by mail?
Old May 7, 09, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by josephstern View Post

For the shipping address, I put the address where I send my check to my credit card company, with another line in there with my account number.

Anyone know if credit card companies have any terms that prohibit cash payments by mail?
Oh PLEASE try this and report your on success...or lack there of
Old May 7, 09, 1:09 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
[QUOTE=josephstern;11711078]

[QUOTE]

Wow, this is too risky for me! It's too easy for anyone at that address to take the shipment & have it 'disappear'.

Last edited by IAHtraveler; May 7, 09 at 2:45 pm
Old May 7, 09, 2:37 pm
ecq

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler View Post

Wow, this is too risky for me! It's too easy for anyone at that address to take the shipment & have it 'disappear'.
that's what i'm thinking. you're taking a huge risk doing that. if soemoen opens the package and sees coins......... it'll go into their account and not yours.
Old May 7, 09, 2:40 pm

Programs: WN A-List, Marriott Tit

This idea deserves its own thread. Pure genius!
Old May 7, 09, 2:46 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by boulderlaw View Post
This idea deserves its own thread. Pure genius!
Someone posted this idea a while back, somewhere in the hundreds of pages of this thread...
Old May 7, 09, 3:12 pm

Programs: Delta DM 2 Million Miler, Hilton DM, Priority Club Platinum

Great way to alert the credit card companies about this so they will put a disclaimer in that coin purchases do not earn miles/points in the future and close the deal down. They already closed down the Travellers check purchase to earn miles/points.

Old May 7, 09, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by anbhc View Post
Great way to alert the credit card companies about this so they will put a disclaimer in that coin purchases do not earn miles/points in the future and close the deal down. They already closed down the Travellers check purchase to earn miles/points.
Why would they care? They still get their percentage on the charge, and it's one huge charge - more profitable for them, since these work on straight percentages via the interchange rate.

They might hate the coins, but they'd just disallow that as payment. And if they DID take them, it's basically eliminating the float, so they have no lost time cost of money.
Old May 7, 09, 5:42 pm

Programs: Too many to list
It's the same reason you can't stuff an envelope full of cash and expect your bill to be paid. It may have your name on, your account #, but it ain't gonna fly.
Old May 7, 09, 6:08 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, MH, VA, AA, BA, AMEX, Citibank

I mean seriously...this is a CASH COW...and some people are doing their best to kill it.

With actions like this I am surprised that this deal has lasted as long as it has.
Old May 7, 09, 6:14 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, MH, VA, AA, BA, AMEX, Citibank
Why would they care? They still get their percentage on the charge, and it's one huge charge - more profitable for them, since these work on straight percentages via the interchange rate.

They might hate the coins, but they'd just disallow that as payment. And if they DID take them, it's basically eliminating the float, so they have no lost time cost of money.
You are joking no??

Why would they care?

What would they do with the coins?

Answer is they cannot use them.

Therefore it becomes a HUGE staff overhead for someone to handle them and chase up what to do with them.

On $7000 the company is say making 0.5 to 1%.
That is say $35 to $70.

By the time they stuff around in staff time, make phone calls and the pay for freight they will have lost money.

Now if you took the coins yourself...they make there $35 to $70.

You send it to them and they LOSE money.
Old May 7, 09, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Citi has the following notation on their billing:

For payment sent by mail or courier to be in proper form, you must:
Enclose a valid check or money order, no cash or foreign currency please.
Include your name and account number on the front of your check or money order.

I think this states very clearly that Citi does not accept cash - or at least is not responsible if it is not posted correctly.

You are taking a very big risk if you send cash.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: