Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2009, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
Originally Posted by sk8uno
Just thought I'd post my most recent experiences with the mint for the sake of increasing the size of the information market.

On Feb 20th, I placed an order for a total of $750 in pres. coins. By March 20th, the order had still not been processed. I had already met my spending minimum through other purchases so I canceled the coin order, still with no inclination about how long it would ultimately take.

Recently I received new cards and had to meet the spending threshold again. Reluctantly, I ordered coins again. It appears the mint has gotten their business in order:

I ordered $750 NA on 4/20/09. Shipped on 05/01/09. Arrived 05/04/09.

I ordered $750 more NA on 4/24/09. Shipped today, 05/04/09. Arrival expected tomorrow/Wednesday.

Very pleasantly surprised with speed of processing this time around.
Thanks for sharing! We'll see if the deliveries slow down now that the Mint posted the notice about shipping delays.
Old May 6, 2009, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

$35K in coins - just made a deposit!

I'm amazed to say that while it took more than an hour to unbox and re-bag all of my rolls, I did just deposit 35,000 $1 coins. This was two orders of mine and three of my business partner. The bank was a little unhappy to begin with, but they totally accommodated us and we did our best to be low-impact and everyone's happy.

I feel like a FlyerTalk poster child because just as these arrived, I was getting a call from Schwab Visa (2% back - thanks to FT) about these charges. And one of the charges they wanted to confirm was a $1.08 charge from FootLocker.com - due to the 10K NWA Miles promotion, also on FT.

Thanks everyone on FlyerTalk!
Old May 6, 2009, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by josephstern
I'm amazed to say that while it took more than an hour to unbox and re-bag all of my rolls, I did just deposit 35,000 $1 coins. This was two orders of mine and three of my business partner. The bank was a little unhappy to begin with, but they totally accommodated us and we did our best to be low-impact and everyone's happy.
Wow!

How did you carry it all? Wheel barrow? Most I ever did was $5000 at a time due to size of my backpack and weight constraints.

They must have asked questions about 'why all the coins? or something, what did you tell them?

Which bank?

Bank of America tried to rip me off $57.34 a week after taking the deposit of $5000 and issuing the receipt. Actually saying it was $57.34 short of the $5000 -- how then I would have had 66 cents there in the deposit that consisted of $1 coins is beyond me

At any rate, congratulations for being the biggest depositor -- I do not believe I have heard of anyone else doing that much or more at a time.
Old May 6, 2009, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With $10,000 or more in currency, they probably had to fill out all of the anti-money-laundering paperwork. Fun fun.
Old May 6, 2009, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by soitgoes
With $10,000 or more in currency, they probably had to fill out all of the anti-money-laundering paperwork. Fun fun.
All they asked me was "was is your employment occupation" which I answered. They did write down my social off my account screen, but that's it. While the feds might visit me, I'm guessing they don't think I'm doing too much laundering with 35K coins.
Old May 6, 2009, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thehawk75
Wow!

How did you carry it all? Wheel barrow? Most I ever did was $5000 at a time due to size of my backpack and weight constraints.
Station wagon!

They must have asked questions about 'why all the coins? or something, what did you tell them?
Mostly mumbled my way through it and mentioned the US Mint.

Which bank?
Wells Fargo - and I have maybe a Premiere account or something like that with them. They mentioned a coin charge, I said I didn't think that applied to me (nicely) due to my account status, and that was the end of it.

Bank of America tried to rip me off $57.34 a week after taking the deposit of $5000 and issuing the receipt. Actually saying it was $57.34 short of the $5000 -- how then I would have had 66 cents there in the deposit that consisted of $1 coins is beyond me

At any rate, congratulations for being the biggest depositor -- I do not believe I have heard of anyone else doing that much or more at a time.
Let's hope I don't have that. Not sure when it'll all be final, but I guess when the Brinks truck signs for it, or maybe later in the process.

And I got bags for next time, so I can do the next round in my office . . .
Old May 6, 2009, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thehawk75
Wow!

Which bank?

I just deposited $400 in dollar coins to Chase (in rolls). After I got home, I got a call from them saying that it was a $1 short -- that one roll appeared to have been opened! I really don't believe it, but what choice do I have?
Old May 6, 2009, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Originally Posted by mnmag
I just deposited $400 in dollar coins to Chase (in rolls). After I got home, I got a call from them saying that it was a $1 short -- that one roll appeared to have been opened! I really don't believe it, but what choice do I have?
Seriously? You're seriously asking this question? Your only choice is to believe it. Really.
Old May 6, 2009, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dingo
Seriously? You're seriously asking this question? Your only choice is to believe it. Really.
Do you really think it's worth it to drive all the way back to the bank for $1 -- it seems to me that it was their responsibility to figure this out while I was there! These rolls came from the box that was shipped from the US Mint -- so, unless it was opened at the shipper -- I am inclined to believe that someone at the bank decided to open one up after I left!
Old May 6, 2009, 7:27 pm

Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.

I feel like a FlyerTalk poster child because just as these arrived, I was getting a call from Schwab Visa (2% back - thanks to FT) about these charges. And one of the charges they wanted to confirm was a $1.08 charge from FootLocker.com - due to the 10K NWA Miles promotion, also on FT.

that's a lot of coins! i deposited some yesterday and the teller asked if i had a cash deposit....i was like um... more of "coin deposit" surprisingly she was like oh not one of you guys again. apparently another person went in earlier and deposited 2k worth of coins. none the less she was happy to take them.
Old May 6, 2009, 8:11 pm

Programs: Delta DM 2 Million Miler, Hilton DM, Priority Club Platinum

Please don't kill the golden goose. This extreme deposit might kill this deal for all of us.

Old May 7, 2009, 5:12 am

Seriously, I can't understand why people can't show restraint and prudence when good deals like this come around.
Old May 7, 2009, 6:48 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Originally Posted by mnmag
Do you really think it's worth it to drive all the way back to the bank for $1 -- it seems to me that it was their responsibility to figure this out while I was there! These rolls came from the box that was shipped from the US Mint -- so, unless it was opened at the shipper -- I am inclined to believe that someone at the bank decided to open one up after I left!
No. I was simply jabbing you for asking such a question. I'm sorry that wasn't clear! It's life, deal with it. Or stand there and watch them count it, otherwise it's all on you.
Old May 7, 2009, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anbhc
Please don't kill the golden goose. This extreme deposit might kill this deal for all of us.
I hear you. It was unintentional that these all arrived the same day, and once they were at my office, with that much cash on the line, I couldn't really let it sit comfortably. I'm not planning on doing that again.

But, I've got to say, for the people doing $500, that would net me $10. For all of the time involved? That really doesn't seem worthwhile.
Old May 7, 2009, 8:46 am

Programs: Priority Club Plat./Ambassador; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Kempinski Platinum
Shipping Charge

For the first time, the $4.95 freight charge appeared in my e-mail order confirmation. I don't really want to call and enquire, or else it may kill the deal for me. Has anyone else actually gotten to this stage? We all know the freight charge appears erroneously on one of the preliminary order screens. For this most recent order, the charge (properly, and as usual) disappeared in the final order stage, but then the e-mail displayed it again.

It seems like it might be a glitch associated with part of the order being sold out/backordered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.