Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Jun 24, 08, 5:13 am
  #196  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: All over
Programs: Most
Posts: 10,839
Originally Posted by cstead View Post
Does the CC get hit when it ships, or when you click on Submit?
They probably authorize your card at the time you place the order but merchants are not allowed to put the charge through before actually shipping out the order.
holtju2 is offline  
Old Jun 24, 08, 8:15 am
  #197  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: BZN
Programs: AA:Lifetime Plat DL:Lifetime Silver UA:1P MAR:Lifetime Tit
Posts: 8,288
Originally Posted by Sam - DFW View Post
yes, somehow people are missing the point.

1. get coins on cc
2. take coins to bank and deposit
3. pay cc before incurring interest

if this doesn't work for you, then don't do it.

sam
I agree completely. If you break procedure on one or more of these points, the value of the procedure goes out the window. Consider additionally that if you value your miles at 2 cents each and you purchase $500 worth of coins, you are receiving $10 for the trouble of placing an order, making sure it arrives okay, and depositing (driving to the bank, perhaps) the coins. If you opt not to deposit the $500 in coins immediately, you begin to lose interest value on them. If you normally produce 8% returns on your liquid investments, you lose 2% (or the full $10 you sought to benefit) every three months you have the coins sitting around waiting to be spent or deposited. Buying $5,000 worth of coins for $100 worth of miles/points and immediately depositing them at a bank without a fee or hassle might be worthwhile.


Originally Posted by Sam - DFW View Post
strip clubs make the most sense...

Makes sense, as there are plenty of slots that accept the coins at those places.
mooper is offline  
Old Jun 24, 08, 8:29 am
  #198  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: GVA (Greater Vancouver Area)
Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Posts: 49,975
Originally Posted by holtju2 View Post
merchants are not allowed to put the charge through before actually shipping out the order.
It happens all the time.
mahasamatman is offline  
Old Jun 24, 08, 11:13 am
  #199  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Northern VA
Programs: AA Plat
Posts: 110
Originally Posted by mooper View Post
If you normally produce 8% returns on your liquid investments.
Where is anyone earning 8 percent, risk free on liquid investments?
imasosec is offline  
Old Jun 24, 08, 12:25 pm
  #200  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: DFW, AA, Hilton
Posts: 16,686
Originally Posted by mooper View Post
... Consider additionally that if you value your miles at 2 cents each and you purchase $500 worth of coins, you are receiving $10 for the trouble of placing an order, making sure it arrives okay, and depositing (driving to the bank, perhaps) the coins. ....
The long-term FTers know to use cards that give us more than 1 mile per dollar.
ChaseTheMiles is offline  
Old Jun 24, 08, 12:29 pm
  #201  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 26
My order says it was shipped today. How long has it been taking to receive once shipped? I am heading to the bank with mine once they arrive.
jimglobe is offline  
Old Jun 24, 08, 2:11 pm
  #202  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: (insert city name here) hotel
Programs: AA - ExPlat 1MM Marriott - Platinum, Hertz - Presidents Circle
Posts: 483
Check with your bank. Some do charge a fee for coin deposits as they need to unroll and count everything again.
purpleskiesfly is offline  
Old Jun 24, 08, 4:22 pm
  #203  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: BZN
Programs: AA:Lifetime Plat DL:Lifetime Silver UA:1P MAR:Lifetime Tit
Posts: 8,288
Originally Posted by imasosec View Post
Where is anyone earning 8 percent, risk free on liquid investments?
I didn't say risk-free. My point is that there is an opportunity cost to having $500 in coins sitting around waiting to be spent, as you can invest conservatively and earn 4%, fairly conservatively and earn 8%, and aggressively for 10%+.

Originally Posted by ChaseTheMiles View Post
The long-term FTers know to use cards that give us more than 1 mile per dollar.
As do I; I cited a value solely for illustrative purposes. If you value rewards earned from charging $500 at $15 instead of the $10 I used, adjust the other numbers accordingly. For me, the time and gas required to make a deposit + the time and risk and stress associated with the order is not worth the value I assign to the expected rewards. YMMV.
mooper is offline  
Old Jun 24, 08, 4:26 pm
  #204  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Programs: Airline Free Agent, Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum
Posts: 2,879
>>>>>as you can invest conservatively and earn 4%, fairly conservatively and earn 8%, and aggressively for 10%+.

Yeah, but is it tax free too?

gpapadop, CFP
gpapadop is offline  
Old Jun 24, 08, 4:57 pm
  #205  
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: SQL
Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
Posts: 3,168
Originally Posted by mooper View Post
I didn't say risk-free. My point is that there is an opportunity cost to having $500 in coins sitting around waiting to be spent, as you can invest conservatively and earn 4%, fairly conservatively and earn 8%, and aggressively for 10%+.
Yes but to compare the investments fairly, you should be providing the rate of return on a virtually risk free investment. And as someone else has pointed out you should factor in taxes.

Further, I'd love to find a liquid fairly conservative investment paying 8% - care to share one (or several)?
VPescado is offline  
Old Jun 24, 08, 5:36 pm
  #206  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 7,086
Originally Posted by chuckd View Post
I placed 3 orders for $500...
Did you ship these to 3 different people? Or are you just ignoring the $500 per person rule? I figure they may not enforce this anyway (???)
rrgg is offline  
Old Jun 24, 08, 5:37 pm
  #207  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, US Chairman, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IC RA
Posts: 1,430
Originally Posted by World_Traveler View Post
I ordered two boxes. They took my PO box for delivery address (which is also my billing address) so I'm guessing it will be USPS...it is the government after all...
It's actually DHL...
stratofortress is offline  
Old Jun 24, 08, 7:17 pm
  #208  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tampa
Programs: UA 1K; PC RA
Posts: 93
Originally Posted by stratofortress View Post
It's actually DHL...
Ahhhhh! That explains why the tracking link on the Mint's order-confirmation screen, which brings you to usps.com's tracking page, always failed.

I plugged in that tracking number into DHL.com's tracker instead, and voila, the full tracking history comes up fine, including the final entry: "Arrived at USPS." Guess DHL does the heavy lifting all the way to the recipient's zip code, and the USPS guys do the final delivery...
gwarboy is offline  
Old Jun 24, 08, 7:19 pm
  #209  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tampa
Programs: UA 1K; PC RA
Posts: 93
Originally Posted by jimglobe View Post
My order says it was shipped today. How long has it been taking to receive once shipped? I am heading to the bank with mine once they arrive.
Ship date was 6/18 for me.
Shipment arrived (in Florida) today, 6/24.

Shipping origin is Wilmington OH.
gwarboy is offline  
Old Jun 24, 08, 7:21 pm
  #210  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: BZN
Programs: AA:Lifetime Plat DL:Lifetime Silver UA:1P MAR:Lifetime Tit
Posts: 8,288
Originally Posted by VPescado View Post
Yes but to compare the investments fairly, you should be providing the rate of return on a virtually risk free investment. And as someone else has pointed out you should factor in taxes.

Further, I'd love to find a liquid fairly conservative investment paying 8% - care to share one (or several)?
You are correct that if the goal is to make a thorough comparison between investments, all risks, taxes, and other factors should be taken into account. I suggest that the risk associated with ordering hundreds coins in the mail (risk of loss in transit, risk of them being stolen while sitting around the house, risk of something changing with the offer and needing to dispute, etc.) is vastly greater than the risk of a CD or money-market, which will at least return a few measly percent, and vastly less than the risk of buying exposure to the NASAQ 100. Where precisely the two are equal is debatable.

Again, my underlying point is that every person has their own measure of risk and opportunity cost associated with having hundreds of dollars sitting around rather than being invested. I own a company that generates well into a double-digit ROI and has done so for years, so I prefer to invest a good chunk of my long-term assets there. For assets earmarked for use in a 5-year window (give or take), I invest a balanced fund such as EXBAX that will fairly reliably produce ~8% total returns over 5-year spans, of course with some risk of under or over performing this benchmark. You may not desire these options and might consider your opportunity cost of coins in a basket closer to the CD/money-market rate. If the coin purchase, your opportunity cost, and all else that is involved in the "conversion" is worth a few bucks to you - go for it!
mooper is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: