Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2008, 11:29 pm

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
Net cost is $470 for 300 $2 bills, or $1.56 each!
If it all goes through. 60 days away for the refund provides considerable time for Microsoft and eBay to decide to disallow it.

Even the article in the link provided pointed out that "It remains to be seen whether or not attempts for free money such as these will work; Microsoft, eBay and the eBayer have all so far declined to respond to requests for comment."

It could go down that you end up paying $718 for 300 $2 bills, or $2.39 each.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 11:43 pm

Ordered 1.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 6:06 am

broadwayblue:
"Edit...it's back up to 25% "
Have an odd suspicion this story could get MUCH crazier !! //ebay.com/aw/pics/promo/magic/pmoGleam95_150x23.gif

...wishing we'd known about this last week; even 20% off that 'confuser purchase would have been ^
Thanks 'blue.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 7:18 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry, SW A-List Preferred
I got my package Saturday. Please, let's not kill the golden goose: unwrap and circulate the coins! I'm planning to use mine at whatever store doesn't take credit cards. Maybe handling these coins will make them reconsider
Old Jun 23, 2008, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
A bank?

I had a friend who used to get batches of crisp new $2 bills and would bind them into a pad so he could tear them off one at a time. He got some funny looks.
Yeah, I just had a cashier ask her supervisor "if we take these." It's good for a laugh.

Mike
Old Jun 23, 2008, 9:28 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by DoubleJ
If it all goes through. 60 days away for the refund provides considerable time for Microsoft and eBay to decide to disallow it.

Even the article in the link provided pointed out that "It remains to be seen whether or not attempts for free money such as these will work; Microsoft, eBay and the eBayer have all so far declined to respond to requests for comment."

I'll bet my $2 bills it will all go through. There were no disclaimers against purshasing currency. MSFT doesn't want bad press and lawsuits because they deny a few people who work the system to their advantage.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by squawk7500
Have an odd suspicion this story could get MUCH crazier !! //ebay.com/aw/pics/promo/magic/pmoGleam95_150x23.gif

...wishing we'd known about this last week; even 20% off that 'confuser purchase would have been ^
Thanks 'blue.
Yeah, I saw that too. There was some speculation that one in a million searches or something like that might bring up that crazy %.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 10:08 am

Programs: Former AA EXP/2M Lifetime now Blackballed UA Premier Executive PWP Bronze

well, i bought two things i needed, captured/printed screens and paid what i normally would have paid anyway.

it's like a magic genie - you get three purchases.

worst case scenario i don't lose anything.

maybe i make a little money, but i don't stand to lose anything.

eta: why do wal mart gift cards sell above the face value? "wal mart gift card" with these parameters: buy it now, $400 - $1000 yields three returns - all over $500 for $500 cards and as high as $600.

Last edited by Sam - DFW; Jun 23, 2008 at 10:16 am Reason: ebay question
Old Jun 23, 2008, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Sam - DFW
eta: why do wal mart gift cards sell above the face value? "wal mart gift card" with these parameters: buy it now, $400 - $1000 yields three returns - all over $500 for $500 cards and as high as $600.
because the buyers end up getting them for less than face after cash back. some people are just looking for an easy way to make a buck.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 10:33 am

Programs: DL GM
So it appears John Quincy Adams is the only one available... Can you get the previous 3 in the same fashion?
Old Jun 23, 2008, 11:10 am

Programs: UA 1P DL GM HH PP
In for two

Ordered my two boxes today. Order receipt says they are backordered with an expected ship date of 08 Jul. My plan is to circulate a box and deposit a box. Thanks OP, a nice way to recoup some miles since UA is only giving actual miles flown vice 500 min. I will order the next set when available in a couple months time if the free shipping remains in place.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 11:45 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by cfwolfs
So it appears John Quincy Adams is the only one available... Can you get the previous 3 in the same fashion?
Actually, the previous 5, but at this time, it does not appear that they are offering the Washington, Adams, Jefferson, Madison and Monroe coins. It would be nice if they would.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 12:40 pm

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
Originally Posted by cvn74n2
Ordered my two boxes today. Order receipt says they are backordered with an expected ship date of 08 Jul.
I wouldn't put much credibility in that expected ship date. (See next.)

I ordered mine 6/13. When I first ordered, expected shipping date was 6/28. Two days ago it was 7/4. Yesterday it changed to 7/5. Today I see it's 7/6. At this rate the Gerald Ford dollar will be out before I receive my order!
Yep, sure enough, here it is two days later and the expected shipping date for my order has also been pushed back two days (to 7/8).
Old Jun 24, 2008, 12:21 am

Programs: BD Gold (and future SEN), 0.2MM AA EXP, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Does the CC get hit when it ships, or when you click on Submit?
Old Jun 24, 2008, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by cstead
Does the CC get hit when it ships, or when you click on Submit?
I assume when the order ships, as my CC hasn't been charged yet (and I placed my order some 10 days ago).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.