Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Apr 15, 2009, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
+1...amen!
Old Apr 15, 2009, 3:33 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by soitgoes
For structuring to be illegal, it would require the intention of evading reporting requirements. If one simply doesn't want to break his/her back, I'm not sure that meets the definition under the law.
Understood that it's about intent to avoid the reporting mechanisms, but the OP indicated the bank wouldn't permit him to deposit greater than $5000 cash. That was my question basically - even if the OP wanted to deposit in excess of $10K in cash instruments, is the bank in question forcing the OP to structure and essentially avoiding their end of doing the BSA and Patriot Act paperwork?
Old Apr 15, 2009, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
Per order

Originally Posted by dhacker
I'm not trying to start anything either, but "per president" is not "per order". You seem to be turning the sentence around backwards to suit your desire. It doesn't say "Each order is limited to two boxes per president", it says "Orders [plural] are limited to two boxes per president", which is clearly intended as an overall limit. If they meant "per order", as you assume, then they wouldn't have had to say anything, because they could simply not let you submit larger individual orders.
I originally thought the same, but now that I re-read it, it is quite ambiguous and only because they are enforcing it differently than it reads. They enforce it as 2 boxes per president per household but what it says is orders are limited to 2 per president. Quite different, IMHO.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
Understood that it's about intent to avoid the reporting mechanisms, but the OP indicated the bank wouldn't permit him to deposit greater than $5000 cash. That was my question basically - even if the OP wanted to deposit in excess of $10K in cash instruments, is the bank in question forcing the OP to structure and essentially avoiding their end of doing the BSA and Patriot Act paperwork?
I assume you meant to put the word 'NOT' in the first sentence (...that it's not about intent...).

At any rate, yes, I can only carry $5K at a time. It fills my back pack, and it's incredibly heavy.

Thing is a couple branches have said that if I keep bringing them more they 'might' have to start charging for the deposit. To just avoid the argument that would ensue I just bring them to another branch. They're all within a 4 block radius of my house anyway.

At any rate, I didn't have $22.5K at one time to deposit... all deliveries were separate (3 of them) and within the course of a week. So, is this a de facto 'structuring' now. Oh boy, there really is very limited freedom to privacy in this country (...I digress probably the start of a debate better meant for OMNI)...
Old Apr 15, 2009, 5:45 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by thehawk75
I had to go to 5 different banks/branches to make the deposit (just can't carry more than $5K into a branch at one time)
At any rate, yes, I can only carry $5K at a time. It fills my back pack, and it's incredibly heavy.
Ok. My original misunderstanding. I interpreted the first statement statement incorrectly.

I thought you meant the bank was forcing you decrease your deposit amount, not your own desire to remain upright by not carrying a ridiculous number of heavy coin. As noted elsewhere, structuring isn't illegal unless you're doing so to avoid legal reporting requirements. Structuring to avoid banks' fees and conserve one's own back is not illegal.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by ChaseTheMiles
bluedevils, I could be wrong, but looking at your number of posts, you are probably new to miles chase? Here's the deal: There is an official rule that we should follow, and if by chance you get extra miles from a slight deviation of the official rule, just look to the Mile-High Heaven and say your Thanks. Be happy with what you get.

This is why it is quite helpful for any newcomer to this wonderful program to read through the thread. Maybe not every post, but try to start from the beginning for a while, and see how we all learned from one another's post and how we figured out how to maximize our gains.
I realize you posted in a very kind way, and I appreciate that. I'm just a bit confused as to what your point is. I'm not complaining at all about the rules that the Mint may or may not be enforcing. This is a great opportunity for people to earn a little free money, or free miles, or free 'utils.' Whatever people can get, I'm all for it. If you get limited to 2 boxes per President for your entire household but your neighbor manages to order a bunch more, then lucky him/her!

I am by no means a 'mileage run' pro or anything like that. But I'm familiar enough with the discussion about this program from the Mint, both on FT and elsewhere, that I felt what I posted was within my rights.

Looking back, I probably should not have bothered to make my last post. It didn't add all that much to the discussion -- although the same could be said for many of the comments in the past umpteen pages

Last edited by bluedevils; Apr 15, 2009 at 7:25 pm
Old Apr 15, 2009, 10:10 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong, just stating my experience:

So far, I've had 4 orders for each available president actually ship to me... same name/address/credit card. The first order was before I made an account, the last 3 were with the same account. Here's to hoping that the limits are PER ORDER, so we can keep it up and keep helping The Mint by putting these into circulation! Now that i know which banks near me will actually circulate them and which just ship them back, I will always deposit them at the circulators.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 10:53 pm
nsr

Not claiming how it should be, but just from my experience, the mint was enforcing 2 per President per household. I used two different credit cards with same address, each time for crossing the $750 spending requirement faster. At the second order I didn't pay attention and ordered 3 boxes, 2 of them were a President that I already ordered before. After 2 weeks the 2 boxes were canceled and the other one was delivered.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 4:59 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by nsr
Not claiming how it should be, but just from my experience, the mint was enforcing 2 per President per household. I used two different credit cards with same address, each time for crossing the $750 spending requirement faster. At the second order I didn't pay attention and ordered 3 boxes, 2 of them were a President that I already ordered before. After 2 weeks the 2 boxes were canceled and the other one was delivered.
How recent were your orders/cancellations? Most of my coins have shipped within the last 6 weeks. I'm just wondering why everyone has different experiences.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong, just stating my experience:

So far, I've had 4 orders for each available president actually ship to me... same name/address/credit card. The first order was before I made an account, the last 3 were with the same account. Here's to hoping that the limits are PER ORDER, so we can keep it up and keep helping The Mint by putting these into circulation! Now that i know which banks near me will actually circulate them and which just ship them back, I will always deposit them at the circulators.
It sounds to me like it all depends on who is processing your order at the Mint -- ie. whether they check your order history & enforce the policy. I would imagine that they should be more concerned about payment probs, but according to the other posts, that is a separate issue!

The way I see it, there are no laws being broken here -- it's not like it's any illegal money-laundering going on here.

It sounds like Hawk & IAHt are managing the situation well -- at least you don't need to wheel in a delivery trolley to the bank!
Old Apr 16, 2009, 7:36 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Timeline of Movement...

Originally Posted by Happy
You always get 3 tracking IDs on those UPS to USPS or FedEx to USPS shipment methods - nothing new or unusual here, but the information posted multiple times probably is burried <snipe>

In the past when the track order status was available on Mint site, you can have the info available online but the UPS site hasn't had info yet. However, by the time the email notification arrived, UPS site always have info, mostly incl at least one scan in and scan out already...
Thanks for confirmation the 3 tracking IDs (ab)normality from US Mint.

This was my first $250 order and 1st USPS delivery (actually it was two $250 orders but placed minutes apart). I remembers folks talked about small orders delivered by USPS but didn't recall reading 3 tracking IDs. Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention since I wasn't placing $250 orders earlier on. I admitted I didn't search within this thread but my conversation with Mint CSR lead me to believe it was not supposed to be 3 IDs for one box. That's what prompted me to post. I guess even Mint CSRs are not that well-informed about their internal rules/delay.
Originally Posted by lin821
Last Thursday (4/9/09), I finally got shipping notice for my two $250 outstanding orders from 3/9/09. <snipe>

All three orders were picked on 3/24/09.
I finally got my $250 orders yesterday morning. The timeline follows:

3/9/09: Order placed
3/24/09: Order picked
4/9/09: Shipping email notice sent (from Mint)
4/13/09: Electronic Shipping Info Received by USPS
4/15/09: USPS Delivered

As far as tracking goes, I agree with Happy that USPS status updates have been falling behind the actual delivery. The tracking status for the 2 orders I received yesterday morning had still been in "Info Received' stage when I checked it earlier yesterday. It wasn't updated until 5:44 pm while the delivery happened in the morning.

According to my (limited) orders from Mint, UPS packages are more, or close to, real time movement. I guess it's because it's shipped "Next Day Air." My timeline may not be standard for Mint since it just so happened that my NA and other small orders were all placed when Mint was swamped (i.e. mid-Feb & early March). It seems Mint is catching up and has been shipping out those orders placed back in March during the last two weeks.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 9:11 am

Programs: WN A-List, Marriott Tit
Order Date: 3/30/09

Date Shipped: 4/15/09

1. NATIVE AMERICAN $250 BOX $1 COIN (N01) Qty : 4

There are three different tracking numbers (two USPS and one UPS). Odd. Only the UPS number reports activity. UPS reports shipping by Next Day Air.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 9:26 am

Order date: 4/1/2009
Date shipped: 4/15/2009

Still have 1 more order on 4/1 not yet shipped.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 9:31 am

Location: Weekdays: LAX; Weekends (when not in a metal tube): LPC
Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold
Jumping in..

I just ordered the max: 20 NA, 2 each of the 3 available presidents = $6,500 (and probably a sore back when the package arrive...) in one shot.

I'll keep the thread informed of any unusual events.

J
Old Apr 16, 2009, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Originally Posted by mkpkmp
Order date: 4/1/2009
Date shipped: 4/15/2009
+1, but the UPS tracking number (only one available) can't return a record on UPS.com; I'm expecting the delivery attempt tomorrow.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.