Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2009, 7:12 am

I took some coins with me on a trip to Cambodia which uses the US dollar. Nobody there had seen or heard of them and refused to accept them.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 10:34 am

Programs: Delta, Alaska, Starwood
Originally Posted by jlgrandam
I took some coins with me on a trip to Cambodia which uses the US dollar. Nobody there had seen or heard of them and refused to accept them.
Maybe they just wanted a bigger denomination!
Old Apr 9, 2009, 11:02 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by jlgrandam
Strange.

I was in Ecuador a year and a half ago, which too uses USD. Not only did they take $1 coins (sacagawea dollars actually), that was the only bloody thing I would get in change. They have problems making change for large bills there. Good luck trying to get change for anything larger than a $10.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 4:59 pm
ecq

well my fun is over. td bank's coin machine only takes 100 coins at a time. i stood there waiting for them to change bags. ordered $7500 and only $2500 came in. and they shorted me $1! who was the one that got an extra $4?

i'll probably order a couple 500 every so often. was hoping to maximize it.

Last edited by ecq; Apr 15, 2009 at 8:30 am
Old Apr 10, 2009, 4:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by beckoa
Made it today... 6 something PM however I was not at home... hopefully will get it sometime tomorrow... (on the second try)...

Originally Posted by beckoa
Got notification... US Mint shipped 2 boxes of Native American coins to myself... ordered on 3/17 (several more boxes) but it put the others on a waitlist of sorts...

Will see how long it takes to get to ANC...
Delivered... signature recommended (guess I could have left a note for UPS...) - only $500 worth mailed although the enclosed invoice was for $1500... and someone with a pen struck out 6 and changed it to 2 (number of boxes)... wonder if the rest are still on 'backorder' then...
Old Apr 10, 2009, 2:04 pm

Programs: Formerly: UA 1K, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, FT Addicts Anonymous; Currently: Grounded
delivery and delivery

I ordered 5k in Native American dollar coins and 2.5k in Pres coins. I have 2 of 3 boxes so far (arrived Apr 8 and 9), I'm going to wait another day or two to see if the 3rd comes.

I ordered on Mar 20 and never called the mint, I just order and assume they'll ship when they get them, I'm in no rush b/c they don't charge me until they ship.

I took them to my local bank (Suntrust) and they were not too excited about it. Apparently they have to break the rolls and bag them before they send them off.

I took 1 box to two different branches, spread the love of sorts.

Last edited by zrudeboyz; Apr 10, 2009 at 2:05 pm Reason: correct date
Old Apr 10, 2009, 2:54 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

I went to Wachovia "A" yesterday with ~1500 coins. I've gone there a few times before and the manager met me at the door with "You must be Mr. IAHTraveler; I've been waiting to run into you." I was concerned, but she wanted the story first hand and said "how do I get in on it?" I told her where to order them and such & I think she's going to participate. I talked with her for a while and she said they send them all back to The Mint. I went to the same one today with some more $$ and the same teller, who wasn't thrilled b/c her 'drawer' now weighs a ton.

I went to Wachovia "B" today (about 3 miles away) and they were THRILLED because "everyone is asking for these lately." Must be a regional thing...
Old Apr 10, 2009, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by zrudeboyz
I ordered 5k in Native American dollar coins and 2.5k in Pres coins. I have 2 of 3 boxes so far (arrived Apr 8 and 9), I'm going to wait another day or two to see if the 3rd comes.

I ordered on Mar 20 and never called the mint, I just order and assume they'll ship when they get them, I'm in no rush b/c they don't charge me until they ship.

I took them to my local bank (Suntrust) and they were not too excited about it. Apparently they have to break the rolls and bag them before they send them off.

I took 1 box to two different branches, spread the love of sorts.
Who cares?

There is nothing creative or interesting about making a deposit! Sheesh! Thrill, Thrill!
Old Apr 11, 2009, 6:16 am

I'm in DC for a couple of days and noticed several posters in the Metro, something to effect "Use dollar coins, they save the government money, dollar coins last longer than bills"

I've yet to get a dollar coin back in change.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 9:21 am

How long should a minimum $250 order take to process to a credit card and ship? I am wondering if I can beat a credit card statement deadline. Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 11, 2009, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by JoeJetplane
How long should a minimum $250 order take to process to a credit card and ship? I am wondering if I can beat a credit card statement deadline. Thanks in advance!
my previous order took a month i think. can't depend on the mint to be timely.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by UA Fan
my previous order took a month i think. can't depend on the mint to be timely.
Was your order the minimum $250 or larger?
Old Apr 11, 2009, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by JoeJetplane
Was your order the minimum $250 or larger?
Old Apr 13, 2009, 12:46 am

Programs: Grounded
Originally Posted by Adirondacker
I'm in DC for a couple of days and noticed several posters in the Metro, something to effect "Use dollar coins, they save the government money, dollar coins last longer than bills"

I've yet to get a dollar coin back in change.
I don't think I've ever gotten them back but I actually plan on taking about $20 of these and using them for cash tips at the bar and local public transit and such. They come in real handy in those instances

Just ordering $250 for now though, need to get my system in order before I go in whole hog.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 5:08 am

Programs: AA, USAir
My $250 order placed on 3/7/09 arrived 4/9/09 - in my rural mailbox.

My $500 order placed on 3/9/09 arrived 4/8/09 - UPS next day air signature confirmation

I don't think I like the idea of it beling left in the mailbox, so I personally would be ordering $500 (or more) at at time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.