Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2009, 7:09 am

Just a small plea for people to actually spend some of these rather than just depositing $X,000 of them at the bank. It seems to me to be a sure way to kill the golden goose by just dumping them all in the bank at once. I actually have quite a bit of fun spending them as they almost always raise conversation. I've even struck up conversations with some cute chicks by paying with these!!
Old Apr 8, 2009, 8:07 am
ecq

Originally Posted by jlgrandam
Just a small plea for people to actually spend some of these rather than just depositing $X,000 of them at the bank. It seems to me to be a sure way to kill the golden goose by just dumping them all in the bank at once. I actually have quite a bit of fun spending them as they almost always raise conversation. I've even struck up conversations with some cute chicks by paying with these!!
i used them a couple times when the $1 coin first came out. it was given as change in the mta machines. you know that commercial, it hink it's visa and everything is going well with swiping the credit card and then all of a sudden it stops because someone is writing a check? that's how it is in nyc. the cashiers always take a second look and give you the weirdest look when you give it to them. it's almost like it's not money to them lol. one time a lady turn the coin about 6 times because she didn't know what it was!

glad it's a positive for you. it's been a bit harder in my expierence though!
Old Apr 8, 2009, 8:23 am

I am also in NYC and find them easier to use here! People are used to them because the metrocard machines give them out as change. I've never had a problem in NYC but got a few weird looks/comments when I used them out of the city.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
Originally Posted by mnmag
I've already created an account, can log in, but as soon as I try to 'track status', it goes to a blank page. I may have to call them tomorrow, and see what the problem is.
It turns out that there was a tech prob w/the site & was fixed by the next day.
Still no change in the status of my shipments, though.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by asandrs
Any body had this in their UPS tracking -

TAMPA,
FL, US 04/07/2009 10:12 A.M. PKG DELAY-ADD'L SECURITY CHECK BY GOV'T OR OTHER AGENCY- BEYOND UPS CONTROL

Scary huh !
Hope they arrive (intact) soon! Pretty ominous notice, though.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
FINALLY got my $2000 worth of NA dollars, after two phone calls, which I originally ordered on 2/19!

I did give them a CC that was due to expire the end of March, but I called about 2 weeks before that to update the expiration date (have to talk w/ CS direct to update for an order already placed).

The website said the coins were in stock and reserved the entire duration of my order.

Looks like the Mint are a bunch of wonks with the NA dollars. I did not have such trouble with the earlier presidential dollars.

Steve
Old Apr 8, 2009, 3:42 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Don't spout off!

Look, it is obvious that some people are going to get the coins and deposit them.

But when you just go on and on about how you buy so many and then carry them to the bank as fast as you can. You are doing a couple of things. You are not keeping a good thing below the radar and are actually making it easier and easier for someone who can kill the golden goose to find out. Also, since we all on here know that some will do this and obviously we can do it, it just shows how stupid a person is when they post it or photos of their blatant disregard for the purpose of the program.

Things that are worthy of posting are:
1. New ways to use the coins! ^(there is nothing new about depositing in a bank)
2. New coins becoming available.^
3. Delivery times.
4. Service or delivery issues.
ETC... you get the point!

I hope so, but if you don't we will just notice the intelligence level of a poster that doesn't.

Last edited by EasternTraveler; Apr 8, 2009 at 4:10 pm
Old Apr 8, 2009, 3:44 pm

Just got $2500 of the $5000 NA coins ordered on 3/24 for next day shipment. I called to asked where the other $2500 is, they don't even show that this order has been shipped. The charge has not shown on my CC statement, called the CC company and they show no pending charge either. Also I went to the bank to deposit the coins and the bank made me break each role down into a money bag so they can run it through the coin machine and ship back to the FED. They ran the coins through twice and it counted $2504 coins. So it looks like I have coins that US Mint didn't know shipped that I haven't paid for and the bank threw in an extra $4 for my troubles
Old Apr 8, 2009, 7:09 pm
ecq

Originally Posted by jbtniros
Just got $2500 of the $5000 NA coins ordered on 3/24 for next day shipment. I called to asked where the other $2500 is, they don't even show that this order has been shipped. The charge has not shown on my CC statement, called the CC company and they show no pending charge either. Also I went to the bank to deposit the coins and the bank made me break each role down into a money bag so they can run it through the coin machine and ship back to the FED. They ran the coins through twice and it counted $2504 coins. So it looks like I have coins that US Mint didn't know shipped that I haven't paid for and the bank threw in an extra $4 for my troubles
same thing happened to be in the first half except i ordered on the 29th. i am depositing when i get home tomorrow.

though glad i'm not the only one with only 1/2 a shipment. extra $4? what will you do with all the extras?
Old Apr 8, 2009, 9:12 pm

I spent 9 coins today at Subway for lunch and then was going to use some at the grocery store but the bill came up to be too much so I had to use my credit card instead. Who can carry 35 coins in their pockets.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 10:11 pm
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
Well, my two $2,500 orders both arrived today! 94 pounds, I think... 5,000 miles would not have covered the hassle with the mint (the twit on the phone I dealt with who totally would not still have a job is she didn't work for the federal government) involving repeated inquiries/phone calls/order tracking and the trip to the bank, but since I got that 5 TYPs/$ retention offer from Citi...
Old Apr 9, 2009, 12:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by beckoa
Got notification... US Mint shipped 2 boxes of Native American coins to myself... ordered on 3/17 (several more boxes) but it put the others on a waitlist of sorts...

Will see how long it takes to get to ANC...
Made it today... 6 something PM however I was not at home... hopefully will get it sometime tomorrow... (on the second try)...

I spent 9 coins today at Subway for lunch and then was going to use some at the grocery store but the bill came up to be too much so I had to use my credit card instead. Who can carry 35 coins in their pockets.
Its only a role and a half, so I have. These are great to use at State Fairs and similar events... give a roll to each kid (or as I did - one each to my parents & one to my sister )
Old Apr 9, 2009, 12:23 am

Programs: SQ, QF, MH, VA, AA, BA, AMEX, Citibank
Interesting thread.

But with people taken un-opened lots of $5000 coins straight to banks you would think this points run is about to be curtailed in some way, if not completely... ie either by a maximum spend being imposed, or by being cut off completely, or by the banks introducing fees to process coin only deposits etc.

I mean the USA government obviously wants to get more coins in circulation as paper notes are very expensive with a short life, and the USA has only kept these as I understand it due to the tipping culture in the USA.

So that is an incentive to keep selling the coins., as the Government has something to gain from reduced replacement costs for short-lived paper notes.

But on the other hand huge quantities of coins going straight to banks becomes just a cost to the Banks (wasted teller time, too many coins to be used requiring yet more time to return ) with no income in it for them = banks will jack up eventually.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 2:14 am
In memoriam

I didn't have any problem at all carrying $50 in coins to cover the bill at a Japanese place that only takes cash. And, the manager loved it! Told me he is sending a coin back to Japan.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by biggestbopper
I didn't have any problem at all carrying $50 in coins to cover the bill at a Japanese place that only takes cash. And, the manager loved it! Told me he is sending a coin back to Japan.
That's great! Afterall, money is money, & these days -- I can't imagine places that wouldn't be willing to take it in any form, paper or coins! Of course, you had to plan ahead to be have the $50 in coins on you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.