Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Mar 30, 09, 11:18 pm
  #1741  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: SJC,SFO,OAK
Programs: WN,UA,AA,
Posts: 520
Originally Posted by fs2k2isfun View Post
How long after ordering the coins do they actually show up? I would love to start churning for SPG points, but can't afford a $2500 charge and not having the coins to pay the bill.
No need to worry. You CC will only be charged when the coins are on the way
zzyzx is offline  
Old Mar 31, 09, 1:51 am
  #1742  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Tha OC
Programs: Outgrew all status except AA: Plat for life (the program's); Costco: Ex Plat
Posts: 575
Watch Out for BofA (UPDATE)

Went in to a different BofA branch today to deposit my last $1500 in presidentials.

This time, I was introduced to the CoinSafe(TM)(R) bag.

It's a big plastic bag, with a tamper-proof seal. Coins go in, it's closed up, you get a Customer Receipt with Bag and Transaction #, and it gets shipped to a soundproof room 100 feet below the home office in Milwaukee where guys stripped to their undies and gloves count the coins under cameras and watchful eyes.

Ain't no one gone try and shave off no $57.43 here.
Them boys'd have a better chance jackin' Pablo Ess-coe-bar hisself.

Unfortunately, the teller couldn't add $1500 to my $2901 check, which to her totalled $4301. I didn't notice till I got home, and then . . . oh, the joy of trying to actually get someone at the branch to answer the phone. Never happened.

Tomorrow's another day, so I ordered $2500 more.
Podcat is offline  
Old Mar 31, 09, 7:43 am
  #1743  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Posts: 2,883
>>>>>This time, I was introduced to the CoinSafe(TM)(R) bag.

The cute teller helping me out with my coins warned me about the new change in "policy". So, in my next coin delivery to BofA, I am going to try a different branch hoping they are not aware of this policy...That branch is even closer to me but I kept going back to the branch with the cute teller

I bet some of our tax dollars paid for the "guys stripped to their undies and gloves [who] count the coins under cameras and watchful eyes."
gpapadop is offline  
Old Mar 31, 09, 8:23 am
  #1744  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: EWR
Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
Posts: 16,476
Originally Posted by Bidkat View Post
Went in to a different BofA branch today to deposit my last $1500 in presidentials.

This time, I was introduced to the CoinSafe(TM)(R) bag.

It's a big plastic bag, with a tamper-proof seal. Coins go in, it's closed up, you get a Customer Receipt with Bag and Transaction #, and it gets shipped to a soundproof room 100 feet below the home office in Milwaukee where guys stripped to their undies and gloves count the coins under cameras and watchful eyes.

Ain't no one gone try and shave off no $57.43 here.
Them boys'd have a better chance jackin' Pablo Ess-coe-bar hisself.

Unfortunately, the teller couldn't add $1500 to my $2901 check, which to her totalled $4301. I didn't notice till I got home, and then . . . oh, the joy of trying to actually get someone at the branch to answer the phone. Never happened.

Tomorrow's another day, so I ordered $2500 more.
Did you check that the deposit amount was corrected? I'm sure you can confirm this on-line. It's worrisome that since the coins are 'cash' -- it's possible that the cash could somehow not be credited to your a/c -- KWIM?
mnmag is offline  
Old Mar 31, 09, 9:20 am
  #1745  
ecq
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 282
Originally Posted by fs2k2isfun View Post
How long after ordering the coins do they actually show up? I would love to start churning for SPG points, but can't afford a $2500 charge and not having the coins to pay the bill.
it seems like they ship in partial shipments and it doesn't look like they'll be charging the full amount. i ordered $7500 so that's good news for me. my order is in process, i hope to get some of them in a month or so. and they won't charge until they ship it. i guess we'll all see!

thanks for the update gejone
ecq is offline  
Old Mar 31, 09, 9:22 am
  #1746  
ecq
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 282
Originally Posted by Bidkat View Post

Tomorrow's another day, so I ordered $2500 more.
how many times have you ordered and in what increments (i'm guessing $2500 each time?) also how often do you order (every other month... 3 months? etc etc)

b/c i'll do the same for the miles... free shipping is good and TD Bank down the road is even better.
ecq is offline  
Old Mar 31, 09, 11:14 am
  #1747  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,456
This is interesting

Last Monday evening I order $500 and $750 each NA on 2 different cards - it is a great way to meet spending requirement for sign up bonus - the orders were placed only 12 minutes apart judged by the time stamp Mint confirmation emails.

They are both "in process" from the automatic tracking via 1-800.

I called this morning since it has been 7 days passed. CSR said the $500 order has been "picked" and sent to warehouse - so it is in the final stage of getting shipped. However, the $750 order is NOT picked yet - in other words, still in the "verification of CC info" process, despite the $750 authorization is done instantly when order submitted online. She then went on to say different cards have different timeframe for verification, as well as higher amount takes longer... Oh, the phone message is slightly different, too.

Looking back past records, all orders were between $250 and $500 (because when I first did it, I did not know how to put different prez on same order.) So this $750 is the first "higher" amount after about 1/2 doz orders in the past... so it takes longer to be "verified"?

Amazing to see those thousands worth orders got processed rather quickly, and a dingy $750 got held up.
Happy is offline  
Old Mar 31, 09, 12:10 pm
  #1748  
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Posts: 7,706
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
Amazing to see those thousands worth orders got processed rather quickly, and a dingy $750 got held up.
Between my wife & I, we have several orders outstanding for $2500-5000, dating from 2/26-3/28 and still waiting on them. I've called 3 times on the 2/26 order and keep getting told "wait another week", etc, so it doesn't seem like the "thousands worth orders" are getting there quickly either.
IAHtraveler is offline  
Old Mar 31, 09, 2:01 pm
  #1749  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,456
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler View Post
Between my wife & I, we have several orders outstanding for $2500-5000, dating from 2/26-3/28 and still waiting on them. I've called 3 times on the 2/26 order and keep getting told "wait another week", etc, so it doesn't seem like the "thousands worth orders" are getting there quickly either.
I will go back to $500 / $250 orders - those took anywhere 1 week to 2 weeks from ordered to delivered. We go away often and I try to time the delivery would not catch us out of town. All UPS ground deliveries wanted signature, our regular USPS guy delivered them in person, but UPS NextDay Air simply dropped box at the door. I dont want to see that happens when we are out of town!
Happy is offline  
Old Mar 31, 09, 6:20 pm
  #1750  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Home
Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Posts: 7,655
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
I will go back to $500 / $250 orders - those took anywhere 1 week to 2 weeks from ordered to delivered.
Not true at all in my case.

My 3 orders ($500, $250, $250) placed on 3/9 are still in process.

I called this afternoon and was told they were all picked on 3/24, "but the warehouse has been extremely busy this month and your orders should be shipped any day now". Riiiigt! Just like I had to waited for 5 full weeks last time (from ordered to delivered: 18 boxes of NA).
lin821 is offline  
Old Apr 1, 09, 6:21 am
  #1751  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texas
Programs: AA, USAir
Posts: 228
Originally Posted by lin821 View Post
Not true at all in my case.

My 3 orders ($500, $250, $250) placed on 3/9 are still in process.

I called this afternoon and was told they were all picked on 3/24, "but the warehouse has been extremely busy this month and your orders should be shipped any day now". Riiiigt! Just like I had to waited for 5 full weeks last time (from ordered to delivered: 18 boxes of NA).
To check your status, do you need to register online? I can't find a way around it

How about for giving them a call? What info do you have to provide for them to check the status?
jimbaum is offline  
Old Apr 1, 09, 7:44 am
  #1752  
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Posts: 7,706
Originally Posted by jimbaum View Post
To check your status, do you need to register online? I can't find a way around it

How about for giving them a call? What info do you have to provide for them to check the status?
You'll need your order number. Sometimes you have to confirm the shipping address & your name, but not always.
IAHtraveler is offline  
Old Apr 1, 09, 9:28 am
  #1753  
ecq
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 282
Originally Posted by jimbaum View Post
To check your status, do you need to register online? I can't find a way around it

How about for giving them a call? What info do you have to provide for them to check the status?
you'll need to register. got this from another forum...

If you placed your order without a user account, and can't access the tracking. Here's a trick that will let you track it.

1. First, sign up and login to your account.
2. Click on track order.
3. Get your user id from the url of the track order page, it should be an 8 digit number at the end of the url where is says userId=xxxxxxxx

For example:
hXXps://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/USMOrderListCmd?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&userId=98765432
The User id here would be 98765432

4. Get your order number from your order confirmation email, it is another 8 digit number.
5. Fill in your userId and orderId (order number) into the url below (replace the xxxx with your 8 digit ids) and load it on your browser. (You need to be logged in when you do this, if you are logged out, click on track order again to login before going to the url)

hXXps://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/USMOrderStatusCmd?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&orderId=xxxx&userId=xxxx

*remember to replace the hXXps with https in your browser.*
ecq is offline  
Old Apr 1, 09, 12:24 pm
  #1754  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,456
Originally Posted by lin821 View Post
Not true at all in my case.

My 3 orders ($500, $250, $250) placed on 3/9 are still in process.

I called this afternoon and was told they were all picked on 3/24, "but the warehouse has been extremely busy this month and your orders should be shipped any day now". Riiiigt! Just like I had to waited for 5 full weeks last time (from ordered to delivered: 18 boxes of NA).
$500 and $750 NA placed on 3/23, using Citi AA MC & AA AMEX respectively. The $500 using MC was picked and sent to warehouse as of 3/30 waiting for shipment. The $750 using AMEX still "in process" for CC verification per phone message. This morning the CSR told me the $750 order has already gone thru the verification as amount already been authorized (Duh! The authorization went thru the minute order was placed! So I am not sure whether she knows what is about, regarding the manual process of verification.) Then she said there is nothing she could do to speed it up, and emphasized the Minit was overwhelmed lately and everyone in the processing dept has stacks of orders in front of them waiting to be processed... No telling when the order would go to warehouse, no way to speed it up, could be 3 to 5 weeks!

I express concern about we may need to schedule a trip and not knowing the approx shipment time makes it a concern. She said now a signature is required for delivery when it is shipped by UPS (incl overnight). She also said you can call to re-direct the shipment to different address before it is shipped, or ask UPS to hold the shipment...

A new information I got is, you can call within 24 hours after placing the order, to split the order payment into 2 different credit cards, instead of placing 2 orders separately. I am not sure this would work any better - because with separate orders, at least you have a chance to have some orders processed quicker than the others, as opposite to one single order - if it is held up, it is held up!

Previous orders with various Prez and just 1 $250 NA took anywhere from 1 week to 2 weeks from ordered to delivered, even with some line-cancellations on the Prez - much much quicker than the NA.
Happy is offline  
Old Apr 1, 09, 12:36 pm
  #1755  
ecq
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 282
This whole thing about verification sounds like a farce. I called Mastercard to let the charge through, I've had purchases put on hold because the charge amount was high. I don't understand how the charge went through for $7500 when others needed to be verified for amounts lower than that. Like I said, I called Mastercard on the 29th and they said it's been verified. So not sure what this verification process is.

I think it's their way of giving an excuse to take as long as they want. Taking a month for coins to be delivered is odd. It doesn't help that cs doesnt help when you ask what's taking so long!
ecq is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: