Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2009, 2:50 pm
In memoriam

I am amazed at the bad manners some FTers are reporting at their banks.

When I take my, say, $2.5K of gold coins in, the teller just says: "Getting more miles?"
And puts the coins in the safe to hand out to favored other customers who, he says, are asking for them.

Glad to help.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 2:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

My order of 18 boxes from mid-February arrived at the post office today. They shipped well after 21 days on an AmEx charge, so not all AmEx orders that sit idle for an extended period are dropping.

I saw the note in my POBox but wasn't prepared to carry them home so I left them there. I'll get them on Monday. I might actually use them to invest as new money at a bank rather than just redeposit them. Seems like it might be time for that and I've got the cash to invest.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 9:41 pm

If anybody here wants some help to get rid of these, I'll pay you cash face value for what you have, especially if they are "P" marks. (Philadelphia mint) No scam. Of course, it helps if you're near enough to where I am! Just send me a Private Message to see if we can link up. I'm in the southern SF Bay Area except when I'm flying.
I'm on the West Coast (D mint territory) and actually collect these (okay I really only want about one good one of each) but haven't had much luck getting P's (Washington, Adams, Monroe, JQA, Jackson, MVB, and the 2009 issues--hint, hint!).
My credit union has a coinstar which takes away any embarrassment of depositing large number of coins. But so far, I've had a lot of fun spending all of them for tips, bus fares, toll plaza fares, Chinese New Year red envelope fillers, etc. They're good for making change for all of your friends when you're dining together (we're using our cc's to pay those bills right?) Yes. Spend them! It's good for the national debt (printing paper costs more) but evidently the stimulus-passers really don't care about that anymore.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I finally aroused enough curiosity in the teller for her to ask me whether I had a special deal going on. I told the whole truth and she was impressed.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 6:09 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
I checked on my order of 2/23 on Friday 3/20 and it was still in process.The charge dropped off my CC over a week earlier.Today I called and they say it shipped,yet my CC is still showing no charge or even authorization.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 6:54 am

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
at the Bank.

I am a customer of one of the Large National Banks. So I have lots of local branch offices I can share my coins with. I found the tellers were excited to get the new shiney coins the first time. about the third visit, to the same branch, it was more like " oh it's you again."

By the fourth visit it was, " hey you got anymore of these things at home, because we'd rather you bring them all at once. we've already got more than we can use, so we have to pack the up , every time you come in and ship them off."

Now I just drive around town and visit the other branch offices. It's nice to see the joy on the tellers faces , the first time.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 7:34 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by TheRoadIsLife
Now I just drive around town and visit the other branch offices. It's nice to see the joy on the tellers faces , the first time.
I do the same thing because the tellers now hate me. However, the one manager LOVES me. When I pull up, she has the door open and waiting for me. She asks which ones I have this time. If it's one she doesn't have, she makes the teller break a roll so that she can buy a few. I'm not sure who the tellers hate more: me for bringing in all the coins or the manager for making them break a $25 roll and count out $22 at the end of the shift.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 9:33 am

I just placed an order for $5,000 worth of the NA coins using expedited shipping. Hopefully my order will be processed in a relatively expeditious manner. As of now, my order status states that my order is on hold and that the item is in in stock and resevred for me. I will keep you updated all on any new info I receive from the US Mint regarding my order. Based on how smooth the whole process is, I will place an order for another $2,500 worth of coins by ordering the remainder of the coins currently available.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 11:38 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by biggestbopper
I am amazed at the bad manners some FTers are reporting at their banks.

When I take my, say, $2.5K of gold coins in, the teller just says: "Getting more miles?"
And puts the coins in the safe to hand out to favored other customers who, he says, are asking for them.

Glad to help.
Generally I've been treated well, but, just recently a teller at Citibank was a little 'snippy', and even suggested I 'pay' to deposit these coins. The supervisor ultimately stepped in and took the deposit, no problems, but, during the course of the conversation, I let it be said: "Considering the amount of taxpayer bail out money you guys need just to stay operational, I would have expected that you would welcome any form of cash deposit"

Last edited by thehawk75; Mar 23, 2009 at 11:43 am
Old Mar 23, 2009, 11:58 am

I never have a problem with my bank but then I only bring in $500 at a time so it's not as big a deal. But then my bank is really friendly.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 12:35 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by thehawk75
... during the course of the conversation, I let it be said: "Considering the amount of taxpayer bail out money you guys need just to stay operational, I would have expected that you would welcome any form of cash deposit"
That's awesome!
Old Mar 24, 2009, 8:50 am
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
That's awesome!
+1. ^
Old Mar 24, 2009, 8:51 am

Ordered 2/14, received 3/19

Just got my $5000 Native American order. I had called about 10 days ago and they said it was processing, but I thought something might have gone wrong...until they arrived on my doorstep a few days ago. Fantastic!!
Old Mar 24, 2009, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Originally Posted by thehawk75
"Considering the amount of taxpayer bail out money you guys need just to stay operational, I would have expected that you would welcome any form of cash deposit"
I might even use that one when I bring in a box of pennies ...
Old Mar 24, 2009, 9:08 am

Programs: AA 1MM Plat, PC Plat RA, HHonors Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by icurhere2
Citibank re-issued one of my credit cards due to a security breach they could not disclose. I had suspected (but cannot confirm) it may have something to do with the US Mint order still not processed from last month - all other transactions the CSR read off were perfectly correct.
Interesting. Same thing happened to me. Citibank AA card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.