Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Jul 22, 11, 11:50 pm

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, PriorityClub, HHonors
Originally Posted by tjbrooks View Post
You two haven't listened to the latest podcast have you? The latest GAO report/analysis says that there is no longer a cost advantage in a dollar transition. Bill lifetime has gone up, coin materials and energy costs are now higher.
No, I didn't listen to the podcast. Last thing I saw about 3 days ago stated that a $1 coin costs twice what a paper $1 bill costs and the life expectancy was 20 fold. So they'd have to increase the life of a paper $1 10 fold to make them comparable.

Paper production is VERY energy intensive also. So it's not that coins are more expensive and bills aren't.
Old Jul 22, 11, 11:56 pm

Programs: United: 1K
Originally Posted by edwards183 View Post
So technically yes, the treasury makes $$ off of $1 coin sales.
You sure took the long route to admitting the US Mint makes money from the coin program.
Old Jul 23, 11, 12:00 am

Programs: Dime con quien andas,y te dire quien eres
This email just in

United States Mint
PO Box 71192
Philadelphia, PA 19176-6192

Dear US Mint,

Thank you for your email advising me that you have shut down the Direct Ship Program due to abusers purchasing coins with those extremely rare credit cards that provide rewards with purchases.
Imagine, getting free frequent flyer miles for simply ordering coins.
How abusive!
How were you to know that people would do such a thing?
After all, you just wanted to provide joy to Americans with presidential coins.
I remember when I got my first Andrew Jackson, I called my neighbor so he could come over and look at it. That was a fun day.
Even after the WSJ article, and enormous amounts of press about the program the abusive people continued to order coins from you. Abusers! Hackers! All of them!!

Seriously, good job in pulling off your objective; dumping those old Sacas, NA's and the rest of the coins sitting around and then coming across as the victim on top of it. You kill me. Ha!
We both made off like bandits!

Coinally Yours,
G. Foot

--------------------------------------------------------------
Again, I'd like to thank those that helped and inspired me to become one of the Mint's very good customers. Until I was deemed TOO good a short while ago.
* Candyman Jim, who was a great contributor to the CC forum who got me to churn and add credit lines to my primary AA Visa thereby setting me up with a very handsome amount of credit for when I got my Mint exemption.
* Mr. Pickles, who inspired me to reach for the Starwoods, first with his photos and later with his updates.
* Pudding Guy, who in Chicago said to work quickly and take it as far as you can as fast as you can when it comes to FF mile opportunities.
*The Mint CSR who advised me the max was 50K per week. BTW -she was wrong.You could go over - but not too much.
* My local bank manager and staff who worked very hard for me,and for security purposes addressed me by my first name and were always very grateful for the break room treats I brought in. Sorry for the bent wheels on your cart guys.
* My UPS driver, who has become a good friend, especially when I'd advise him that he might want to take a day off when I had 30 boxes shipped out the previous night.We'd have a laugh when I'd tell the substitute I was being delivered bullets.
* to my recycling pick up guy who I had to threaten in order for him to pick up the boxes out front every Monday. "Do your job or I'll have the board call your office!" Not a peep after that....

The coin deal will go down in history and will be remembered fondly by all who "abused" it.

So now the fun has just begun...

Last edited by Goofy Foot; Jul 23, 11 at 12:20 am
Old Jul 23, 11, 12:39 am

You two haven't listened to the latest podcast have you? The latest GAO report/analysis says that there is no longer a cost advantage in a dollar transition. Bill lifetime has gone up, coin materials and energy costs are now higher.
OK, I bit the bullet and listened to it. Parts of it made me want to laugh, parts made me want to cry, and other parts just made me mad.

I don't know what they were alluding to claiming there's a GAO report saying there's no cost advantage. I did a search and all I found was:
U.S. Coins: Replacing the $1 Note with a $1 Coin Would Provide a Financial Benefit to the Government
http://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-11-281
from March 2011.

Hardly seems to support their assertions. Guess I should have expected that.

Interesting to note they said, "Caitlan our producer got a very very angry email." Wonder if that was the one from MM?

And Jane Liaw (are you lurking here? ) wasn't the only "whistle blower". They have other "big mouths" on the air willing to brag about their exploits.
Old Jul 23, 11, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by MojaveJack View Post
And Jane Liaw (are you lurking here? ) wasn't the only "whistle blower". They have other "big mouths" on the air willing to brag about their exploits.
This thread has done more damage than all the big mouths put together!
Old Jul 23, 11, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by QL_714 View Post
This thread has done more damage than all the big mouths put together!
In terms of the quantity of information/disinformation disseminated, probably so.
In terms of the breadth of the audience exposed, I'm not so sure.

It's hard to tell considering some of the big mouths run on both sides of the fence.
Old Jul 23, 11, 12:59 am

With my default page display settings, I have 17 pages posted to this thread today!

Is this a record?

Will we make 20?
Pages 1073-1092, looks like we hit the mark!
Old Jul 23, 11, 1:19 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
It totally depends on your settings. Might be 20 pages for you or more/less for someone else. I have seen way more pages in a shorter time in the MR Deals forum.
Old Jul 23, 11, 2:09 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by Jesperss View Post
listen to jane liaw:

http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPl...63&m=138616782

she refers to HERSELF as a travel hacker!
I just couldn't avoid responding with this. "I'm not exactly a leet h4x0r but I do consider myself a hacker."

http://youtu.be/rfUHAgm__Cg
Old Jul 23, 11, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by fti View Post
It totally depends on your settings. Might be 20 pages for you or more/less for someone else. I have seen way more pages in a shorter time in the MR Deals forum.
Correct. The entire thread for me is only 410 pages.
Old Jul 23, 11, 2:30 am

I don't know what they were alluding to claiming there's a GAO report saying there's no cost advantage. I did a search and all I found was:
U.S. Coins: Replacing the $1 Note with a $1 Coin Would Provide a Financial Benefit to the Government
http://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-11-281
from March 2011.

Hardly seems to support their assertions. Guess I should have expected that.
Sorry, my wording was poor. I meant to say the transition is a tough sell financially. There's definitely a cost advantage over time, but the frontloaded costs of a transition would be a big burden in a time of massive budget cuts. Looks like 8-10 years to break even. The current estimated savings over 30yr are 60% less than the original estimates. Should be done IMO, especially with the surplus we currently have, but good luck getting that through the legislature "right now", which I think was their point.
Old Jul 23, 11, 3:15 am

Sorry, my wording was poor. I meant to say the transition is a tough sell financially. There's definitely a cost advantage over time, but the frontloaded costs of a transition would be a big burden in a time of massive budget cuts. Looks like 8-10 years to break even. The current estimated savings over 30yr are 60% less than the original estimates. Should be done IMO, especially with the surplus we currently have, but good luck getting that through the legislature "right now", which I think was their point.
And good luck when idiots, uh people post comments on NPR like, "If they stop making one dollar bills in order to force us to use one dollar coins then I'm going to start using two dollar bills... and I'd better not get any of those dollar coins as change!"

But I like this guy's idea, "Maybe it is just inherent in writing, but this story STILL doesn't address the real problem!!!
The problem is not with the coins per-se. It is with getting the coins back out of the bank vaults! It is the Fed who should be filling the orders not the Mint!"
^^^^^

Last edited by MojaveJack; Jul 23, 11 at 3:25 am
Old Jul 23, 11, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy View Post
Correct. The entire thread for me is only 410 pages.
If you look at my post you'll see I wrote DEFAULT SETTING.

And the should have given you a clue as to how this was intended.

Sheesh.
Old Jul 23, 11, 5:49 am

If you look at my post you'll see I wrote DEFAULT SETTING.

And the should have given you a clue as to how this was intended.

Sheesh.
It's what I get for rapid posting.

Still wondering like others why this thread remains open though.
Old Jul 23, 11, 6:13 am

Programs: Several dozen
A tough sell - how so! Let's just stop printing dollar bills, saving printing costs, and get all the dollar coins at the Fed into circulation, saving storage costs, to replace them. Where is the Fed's website to buy circulating dollars?

I meant to say the transition is a tough sell financially. There's definitely a cost advantage over time, but the frontloaded costs of a transition would be a big burden in a time of massive budget cuts. Looks like 8-10 years to break even.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: