Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Jul 22, 11, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by dweick View Post
Yes

"The United States Mint pays for standard shipping and
handling of domestic orders"
How did they ever take "standard" to mean "standard overnight" anyway?

What a waste.
Old Jul 22, 11, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dweick View Post
Yes

"The United States Mint pays for standard shipping and
handling of domestic orders"
Right, thanks. It's also on that order form someone posted the link to.

Got a new plan. "There's no off position on the genius switch."
Old Jul 22, 11, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by CVG_Kid View Post
Date is wrong. Seems fishy.
It's the government.
Old Jul 22, 11, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by AnitaBryant63 View Post
Can someone comment on US Mint gift certificates? Can those be used to buy from the $1 Coin program now?
Per the email, the coins cannot be purchased online anymore. Doesn't seem to be any way to use the e-certificates unless they take them over the phone. My guess is they will catch on to this equally quickly, given that this is all over the media now and if it works someone will report it in a very public manner.
Old Jul 22, 11, 5:02 pm

Programs: United: 1K
Originally Posted by MojaveJack View Post
This is because coinage has INTRINSIC VALUE. Back in the day, the gold, silver, and copper gave coins real value. ^^^

Banknotes are essentially IOUs from the FED that we freely pass around from one to another. Kind of like a game of musical chairs. If the government collapses, those holding banknotes will be out of luck. Those with coins will likely still find they have something with some value.
They aren't even IOUs any more. Once upon a time they were, they said they were exchangeable for gold or silver. They don't represent any obligation on the part of the government or the Federal Reserve and longer.
Old Jul 22, 11, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by josephstern View Post
How did they ever take "standard" to mean "standard overnight" anyway?

What a waste.
^

Unless they got some sweet deal from UPS, they could have cut the cost by probably 50-75% by shipping Ground instead of Next Day Air.
Old Jul 22, 11, 5:08 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

In the end, EVERYTHING is NEGOTIABLE.
In the end, nothing is negotiable. It ends.
Old Jul 22, 11, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond,
It's Dead Jim....

Let's Lock and move on.
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Stoughton View Post
I wonder how many people will be laid off at PBGS as a result? I gotta think they had a few people who's only job was to ship those $1k boxes.
This had become a significant operation. While it started small, it grew bigger and bigger as more people participated.

I out together some rough calculations in this post, linked below. If my assumptions are half way close, this sudden change by the government will have an other than trivial impact Plainfield, Indiana as well as for UPS.

http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/...30#post-637033

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, PriorityClub, HHonors
Originally Posted by dayone View Post
10 Latin abbreviations you might be misusing

3. et al.

This abbreviation of et alia (“and others”), used almost exclusively to substitute for the names of all but the primary author in a reference to a publication or article with multiple authors but occasionally applied in other contexts, should have no period after et, because that word in particular is not an abbreviation.
"and others" is exactly what I intended.

Originally Posted by dayone View Post
Deliberate misquoting by partial edit is a violation of TOS. But since you chose to do it, please take your own advice...

My advice stays the same: Let's talk about coins.
YOU WERE SAYING?
Old Jul 22, 11, 5:16 pm

Programs: Several dozen
People, how do I get my check, wire or money order to the mint when I phone order?

Originally Posted by javabytes View Post
Per the email, you cannot purchase them online anymore. Only by phone or by mail.
Old Jul 22, 11, 5:19 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Andy2 View Post
The Mint executives got much better bonuses as a result of being able to show a nice profit from selling the dollar coins, less shipping costs, than they would have received if the dollar coins had gone unsold and generated disastrous financial results for the Fed.
I was unaware of the mint executives participating in any sort of incentive compensation (bonus) plan. Could you clarify what bonuses you're referring to?
Old Jul 22, 11, 5:24 pm

Next?

About 283,000 mile/points "earned" for me (included bonuses from meeting spend thresholds). Thanks for the opportunity, US Mint! Oh well, on to the next thing!
Old Jul 22, 11, 5:33 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

"and others" is exactly what I intended.
You still don't see your error. Read the entire quote.
Old Jul 22, 11, 5:35 pm

Right, the Mint doesn't take the coins back, but the Fed does, and now the billion+ coins sit in the Fed vaults, because few people want them. Although trivial on the scale of things, this is money that could have otherwise been deployed to community banks to lend out.

Congress was well intentioned in mandating the issue of the coins, and the Mint was well intentioned in initiating the direct ship progaram, and the coins are more efficient than dollar bills, but there was no way that this was going to succeed without the elimination of the dollar bill.

P.S. It will be interesting to see what the Fed ultimately does with its inventory.

Last edited by PIONEER; Jul 22, 11 at 5:39 pm Reason: PS

Search this Thread
Search Engine: