Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2011, 4:37 pm

Programs: United: 1K
Originally Posted by Frinkiac7
Gol-durn media done did us in!

Seriously though, if the Mint was complaining about having too many excess coins on hand and not being able to get rid of them before, just wait and see how slowly they will be able to get rid of them now. For all of the faults of the card program, I guarantee more people were taking a few of those coins and spending them and the gas station, in vending machines, in addition to taking them to the bank. On the whole, more dollar coins were almost certainly circulated than will be now that they are harder for people to get direct shipped. Rather short-sighted and reactionary on the part of the Mint, if you ask me.
They had 8 years of excess coins on hand when they started the program, they got rid of all the excess.

They also stopped making 1 billion $1 coins/yr and have better matched production to demand.

The only coins that are currently produced in quantity greater than demand are the NA coins, because Congress forces them to make too many of them. Those will pile up but in smaller amounts than in the past because they are making fewer Presidential coins at this point.

There really wasn't an infinite sized pie out there, there was a pie that was rapidly shrinking and the more people grabbing a slice the faster it shrunk. Now it's gone and the pie maker retired from the business.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
I haven't rec'd an email yet on my order that is supposed to ship in a week. Should I figure that they just have not gotten to me yet or maybe they really will send them? This was good while it lasted and I did not abuse it (6K a year) IMHO I think too many abused it, drew attention to it and got it out in the public domain. Maybe we should have had a thread similiar to: "I promise NOT to call the airlines, etc etc mistake fares, etc etc" I promise not to tell the gen'l public about the mint!

Oh well, it was good while it lasted. I'm going to use other outlets to get minimum spend and points.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 4:42 pm

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, PriorityClub, HHonors
Originally Posted by DeirdreTours
Actually, only paper money has to be accounted for in this way. Coinage is an exception and can be put into the money supply with no equivalent take out from the money supply. In short, coinage is newly created money, not replacement money. The sole cost to the government is that of producing and marketing, just like any other manufactured product.
This is because coinage has INTRINSIC VALUE. Back in the day, the gold, silver, and copper gave coins real value. ^^^

Banknotes are essentially IOUs from the FED that we freely pass around from one to another. Kind of like a game of musical chairs. If the government collapses, those holding banknotes will be out of luck. Those with coins will likely still find they have something with some value.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by wildway
Anybody try to purchase a gift certificate yet? Theoretically, you may still be able to buy a gift certificate with a credit card, then use that gift certificate at the payment page. Might keep the deal alive a little bit longer.
Per the email, you cannot purchase them online anymore. Only by phone or by mail.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 4:45 pm
k2o

Programs: UA 1K, DL Dia.,AA Plat, Hilton Dia,Bonvoy T
Originally Posted by ntjane66
Wow what a great run this has been! ^:-: It is now time to detox. We can form support groups. Hello, my name is..... and I am a coin-a-holic
Funny, funny post! Loved the humor....Couldn't help notice your handle
....are you the Jane ... incognito ?
Old Jul 22, 2011, 4:47 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Let's count how many times the text of the US Mint announcement is posted in this thread.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 4:48 pm

another article:

http://www.businessinsider.com/us-mi...e-miles-2011-7

"One forum poster even directed the shipment of coins straight to the bank whom his mortgage was with, so he didn’t have to “hassle with hauling them over myself, because I have a bad back.”

@:-)
Old Jul 22, 2011, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Is it still free shipping if you order via money order, check, or wire transfer?
Yes

"The United States Mint pays for standard shipping and
handling of domestic orders"

Originally Posted by mrx900
i placed an order for 24 boxes a week ago...what about those? (I have an exceptions request as I order these for my vending machine business )..

I checked the order and it says IN PROCESS still...
After the 1K+ pages of this thread, what makes you think anyone here knows???
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Jesperss
another article:

http://www.businessinsider.com/us-mi...e-miles-2011-7

"One forum poster even directed the shipment of coins straight to the bank whom his mortgage was with, so he didn’t have to “hassle with hauling them over myself, because I have a bad back.”

@:-)
Bahahahaha
Old Jul 22, 2011, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
Both of mine had that date also. Seems they're cancelling orders placed on or after the 20th.
They are cancelling all orders that haven't yet been shipped.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 4:53 pm

Email from the Mint I received 1 hour ago

Email from the Mint I received 1 hour ago:

If you currently have an open $1 coin Direct Ship order placed with the United States Mint, that order will be cancelled.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 4:54 pm

listen to jane liaw:

http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPl...63&m=138616782

she refers to HERSELF as a travel hacker!
Old Jul 22, 2011, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by wildway
Anybody try to purchase a gift certificate yet? Theoretically, you may still be able to buy a gift certificate with a credit card, then use that gift certificate at the payment page. Might keep the deal alive a little bit longer.
The only means of payment are:
Money order
Check
Wire transfer

There is no payment page. You either mail them a check or money order with your order form or you fax the order form and pay with a wire transfer.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by edwards183
That only works if you manufacture something that is not negotiable. If you make $1 coins and I can come up to you and demand payment in $1 bills for those coins, those coins cost you $1 (in bills, treasury bonds, etc) + any expenses tied to their manufacture.
In the end, EVERYTHING is NEGOTIABLE.

You can demand, but I am not forced to comply.

You're neglecting the cost of manufacture of the bills. There's also a difference in intrinsic value.

In the end, if I make $1 coins, the SS and TMen will be at my door to shut me down and take me away. Look at what happened to NORFED.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.