Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2011, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pierre mclopez
One question. Did DD ever file a police report?
Forgot about that guy! Good call.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 2:01 pm

Programs: United: 1K
Originally Posted by edwards183
From the Mint's site:

"As a self-funded agency, the United States Mint turns revenues beyond its operating expenses over to the General Fund of the Treasury"

The shipping, CC fees, and related overhead paid by the mint for the coin program increase operating expenses. Egro, decrease the amount of $$ that goes into the General Fund of the Treasury.
If you ignore their revenue from selling the coins you'd be right.

But since the revenue exceeds the expenses by a substantial amount and historically they've been unable to sell the coins any other way, the net result will be a decrease in the amount of money the US Mint sends to the General Fund.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by User Name
Jane Liaw's on Facebook too if anyone wants to swap award redemption tips. She seems to be quite the expert.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/jane.liaw

(Edit: And she managed to grab the Aloft Austin deal too, bless her).
I think she's reading along with us here, and just tightened up her Facebook security a bit.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by vupadhayay
What credit card was that?
A credit card program that was canceled by his bank shortly after he brought it up in another forum and also brought it to his bank's attention.

Could have been a coincidence or it could be another example of why you don't want to call and remind your bank that they have a 6% cash back card still floating around.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by smata67
Friend who works for the Mint today told me the Mint will shortly discontinue accepting credit cards for the direct ship program. Future orders will require check or money order.
Originally Posted by brasov02
Someone simply claims to "have a friend" who knows something and we're ready to give up? Come on. Buck up. If it makes you feel any better, I also have a friend who works at the mint and he said this other friend mentioned above is either imaginary or he's just pulling smata67's chain. (And pulling chains is obviously not too difficult in this thread .)
Originally Posted by glocklt4
Want to retract this post? lol
Glad glocklt4 brought this up. Looks like at least one is a bluffer and another one might actually be giving some useful tidbit of info. The post glocklt4 brought up was posted yesterday evening, not even a day old fwiw.

For the record before the posts can be retracted out, (or wiped it out from one's imaginary face)

Last edited by Happy; Jul 22, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by josephstern
I think she's reading along with us here, and just tightened up her Facebook security a bit.
Awww.... Hi Jane! Don't be shy - pop in and say hello!

Hopefully you won't have too many awkward questions on Monday...

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
As far as I can see, the real culprit is the actual sharing of this information, bragging or otherwise. Once enough people get in on it, it gets impossible to contain. But that is for another contentious discussion.
Originally Posted by onlybeef42
Did you learn about this on your own or did you get the basics from someone else?
Please don't take my post out of context... I am clearly addressing QL_714's question.

As I said, it is a separate contentious matter to discuss when it comes to how much information is made available for the community.

I am not making a stand on whether this kind of information should be in the public or private community. I've posted airfare and hotel mistake fares (only a small percentage of FT'ers can lay that claim) and I've taken advantage of many mistakes and low fares by other members.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by Jesperss
Yet the US Mint selling boxes of rolled dollar coins including free shipping with the majority of those who bought them directly depositing them into the bank to collect frequent flier miles when the Mint's intent was to get them circulated- is a good idea?
Make 50 million dollar coins and sell them for $50M. Minus $15m in expenses is a nice $35M profit.

Sounds like a good idea to me. I'd be happy to take the program over for them. Making 70 cents per coin profit would be good enough for me.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 2:12 pm

Deleted

Last edited by onlybeef42; Jul 22, 2011 at 2:16 pm Reason: Not Necessary
Old Jul 22, 2011, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
Please don't take my post out of context... I am clearly addressing QL_714's question.

As I said, it is a separate contentious matter to discuss when it comes to how much information is made available for the community.

I am not making a stand on whether this kind of information should be in the public or private community. I've posted airfare and hotel mistake fares (only a small percentage of FT'ers can lay that claim) and I've taken advantage of many mistakes and low fares by other members.
Sorry did not mean to offend or take out of context.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by onlybeef42
LinkedIn

Facebook

Twitter

MySpace

A comprehensive list for those who need FF tips. Note these links are publicly available via Google.
And . . . Twitter is now locked down also.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 2:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
Originally Posted by dweick
Make 50 million dollar coins and sell them for $50M. Minus $15m in expenses is a nice $35M profit.

Sounds like a good idea to me. I'd be happy to take the program over for them. Making 70 cents per coin profit would be good enough for me.
except that $49.5M in coins were coming back to them... and no, I'm pretty sure the banks didnt send the coins to the mint back for free.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 2:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
I'm still in shock. So sad.

$300,000 in coins (some via my businesses).

Over 800,000 in miles/points earned.

Not a bad run.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by rajuabju
except that $49.5M in coins were coming back to them... and no, I'm pretty sure the banks didnt send the coins to the mint back for free.
No, the 50 million in coins were not coming back to them.

The US Mint doesn't buy or accept surplus coins from banks or anyone else. Though I think they will accept mutilated coins for the metal value only.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 2:21 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond, , AA Gold, Bonvoy Titaniu
Looks like it is over

This is from the USmint site:

Circulating $1 Coin Direct Ship Rolls
Adobe Acrobat Reader

The United States Mint has eliminated the credit and debit card purchase of $1 Coins through its Direct Ship Program effective July 22, 2011. Customers who wish to purchase $1 coins through the Direct Ship Program can still do so by wire transfer, check, or money order. Customers who wish to purchase the coins by wire transfer may fax their order to: (202)756-6585. Customers interested in purchasing by check or money order may do so by writing to:

United States Mint
PO Box 71192
Philadelphia, PA 19176-6192

Please download the order form and follow the instructions provided on the form. (Order Form).

The Mint has determined that this policy change is prudent due to ongoing activity by individuals purchasing $1 coins with credit cards, accumulating frequent flyer miles, and then returning coins to local banks. Local banks, in turn, returned coins to the Federal Reserve. While not illegal, this activity was a clear abuse and misuse of the program.

The Mint has undertaken several aggressive internal and external actions to mitigate this issue, including restricting chronic and repeated use of credit cards, contacting customers who frequently placed large numbers of orders to ensure they were using the coins for legitimate business purchases, and other measures. While these measures eliminated a significant amount of misuse in the program, we believe some abuse still exists. Eliminating the credit and debit card purchase of the $1 coin is the next step in our efforts to root out abuse in this program and ensure it is better targeted toward fulfilling its intended purpose—which is to get the $1 Coin into greater circulation.

Thank you for your understanding and your continued support of the $1 coin program.

The United States Mint

22 July 2011/12 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.