Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Mar 8, 09, 3:51 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by Frenchie Flyer View Post
My experience this past week has been that in checking on my order of Feb. 13 they say that there is a system problem with online orders that sometimes get hung up in their system. So the items show a code that indicates the items are on hold for shipment pending credit card authorization. The credit card companies say no attempt was made by the Mint to charge anything. So I have the card companies primed to accept the bill and the Mint has re-entered the charges on the cards. They say that should generate the order to be sent.
I've done this about 6 times and here is my experience.

#1. Place an order

#2. If it cancels for any reason (over the limit usually), you'll get an email telling you so within a day. End of story. I had many cancels over the months, I would wait another week and re-order. Eventually it stuck.

#3. If it doesn't cancel, just wait. Period. I've had the order in my hand in 2 days later, I've had it ship 3+ weeks afterwards. Your first clue will be a UPS or USPS shipping confirmation email. It will come.

#4. Anything else you do or worry about is unnecessary and will not effect the outcome. This is our government at work. I ship UPS daily and pay the bills, I know what overnight UPS costs for 50+ pounds and I can't believe that this is what they use currently. No wonder we are in a deep recession...
Old Mar 8, 09, 7:20 pm
In memoriam

Isn't the Bush depression a little more a result of deregulation than shipping overnight?

In any event, my 5K of Native Americans came via priority mail with delivery confirmation, not overnight service.
Old Mar 8, 09, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by biggestbopper View Post
Isn't the Bush depression a little more a result of deregulation than shipping overnight?

In any event, my 5K of Native Americans came via priority mail with delivery confirmation, not overnight service.

it sure is especially since alot of the dereg started under the Clinton admistration

my last order of 2 boxes came overnight UPS, I sure hope they have a very sweet deal with UPS
Old Mar 8, 09, 9:22 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold , HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, Aadvantage, Rapid Rewards CP
Can you explain what you mean by having the CC companies primed to accept the bill and US Mint re-charge? What did you do or how did it happen?
I called the credit card companies I had these charged to and let them know that I had made a purchase through the US Mint for x amount of dollars so that it would be noted on my accounts.

Has anyone noticed the new verbiage on the terms and conditions for American Express? It specifies no points for AMEX travelers checks, gift cards, or "cash equivalents". I doubt that they mean this type of cold hard cash.

Frenchie Flyer
Old Mar 9, 09, 4:30 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by Frenchie Flyer View Post
"Can you explain what you mean by having the CC companies primed to accept the bill and US Mint re-charge? What did you do or how did it happen?"
I called the credit card companies I had these charged to and let them know that I had made a purchase through the US Mint for x amount of dollars so that it would be noted on my accounts.
I did exactly that on the very same day I placed the orders.

Not just that, I also made followup calls to Amex and to verify the pending charge. Still it didn't help. My order using Amex from 2/13/09 is still not moving an inch. Amex confirmed that the Mint hasn't posted the charge (meaning no shipping).
Old Mar 9, 09, 11:56 am

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
NA UA

The Native American ones still show unavailable today. There are five President coins in stock. Better get em while you can!
Old Mar 9, 09, 9:11 pm

Just got thie ship notification from UPS. My 50lbs box of native american coins will be here tomorrow and deposted into my bank by COB.
Old Mar 9, 09, 9:12 pm

They are unavailable because 5,000 of them are en route to my home.

Originally Posted by thebat View Post
The Native American ones still show unavailable today. There are five President coins in stock. Better get em while you can!
Old Mar 10, 09, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tracking is back- sort of

you can once again track your order from The Mints website, that is if you registered with them and filled out all the forms, thusly having an acct with a Id and Password.

I didnt do it, as I dont use the same CC every time nor the same address and Im afraid this will just be a way for them to keep better track of things
Old Mar 10, 09, 9:54 am

Programs: UA MP, DL SkyMiles
Originally Posted by craz View Post
you can once again track your order from The Mints website, that is if you registered with them and filled out all the forms, thusly having an acct with a Id and Password.

I didnt do it, as I dont use the same CC every time nor the same address and Im afraid this will just be a way for them to keep better track of things
Thanks for the info - I just checked and it shows status of my order as "Your order is on hold" - anybody have a clue what this means?
Old Mar 10, 09, 10:31 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Native Americans are back in stock as of 11.30...

$4000 are on hold, the Natives take for ever to ship.. guess I got to continue buying the other coins
Old Mar 10, 09, 11:06 am

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
I called in this morning, spoke to a live person,
who could see my order of Feb 20th,
but could provide no idea at all about shipping date....
Old Mar 10, 09, 2:55 pm

Programs: WN,UA,AA,
Originally Posted by jfkeze View Post
Native Americans are back in stock as of 11.30...

$4000 are on hold, the Natives take for ever to ship.. guess I got to continue buying the other coins
It is gone. It is now 12:55 PST
Old Mar 11, 09, 9:50 am

Programs: AA LT Gold & Marriott Gold
Shipping Costs

I retired from the Government a few years ago and observed how we shipped our items. Every year or two our agency estimated how many packages would be shipped the next year and the various carriers bid on the price per each. I don't know the details of how price broke down, but it was significantly less than any deal I could get. We'd have FEDEX one time, UPS another; we'd find out in Sep. who had the contract as of Oct. 1. I imagine the Mint has a similar deal or deals for all of their shipping needs. More than likely a vast majority of their orders are for the coin sets and other small items that don't weight much. It may be that one of the 50 lb. boxes may go for the same shipping charge as a coin set. When you look at the price of their "product" vs. the "selling" price, they can well afford to pay the shipping.
Old Mar 11, 09, 4:05 pm

Programs: ROP
Besides, shipping it next day vs ground would probably lead to less loss during delivery. Long term, it'll save the mint a lot by not having to print paper $1 bills.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: