Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Jul 22, 11, 10:46 am

Done:

The United States Mint has eliminated the credit and debit card purchase of $1 Coins through its Direct Ship Program effective July 22, 2011.

http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs...dentifier=8100
Old Jul 22, 11, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Stoughton View Post
Done:

The United States Mint has eliminated the credit and debit card purchase of $1 Coins through its Direct Ship Program effective July 22, 2011.

SNAP!!!
Old Jul 22, 11, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Jesperss View Post
SNAP!!!
Bummer On to the next "deal"

Programs: Delta DM 2 Million Miler, Hilton DM, Priority Club Platinum

Hope my last 2 orders placed last night go through

A little part inside of me just died
Old Jul 22, 11, 10:52 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Well, the end of the Direct Ship program is not surprising; given the amount of attention it has generated recently.

I've been following this thread since the beginning, and I think it goes to show that some things should be kept off the radar or really quiet. Squeeky wheel gets the grease, or the hammer in this case. Drawing attention to this via the media is a sure-fire way to get unwanted attention.
Old Jul 22, 11, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld View Post
Well, the end of the Direct Ship program is not surprising; given the amount of attention it has generated recently.

I've been following this thread since the beginning, and I think it goes to show that some things should be kept off the radar or really quiet. Squeeky wheel gets the grease, or the hammer in this case. Drawing attention to this via the media is a sure-fire way to get unwanted attention.
LOL this has been going on for 3+ years!
Old Jul 22, 11, 10:57 am

RIP ...Black Friday indeed !
Old Jul 22, 11, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by Stoughton View Post
Done:

Well PBS better not contact me for a donation

Seriously though, it was great while it lasted. While I am disappointed to see the program end, I think we can all say we benefited nicely from this program.

What is going to happen to outstanding orders? Will they still ship or will they be cancelled.

The people that are going to be really screwed are those that bought mint gift certificates to meet credit card minimum spends to use on coins in the future. I am sure you will be seeing a lot of mint gift certificates on ebay soon
Old Jul 22, 11, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Drawing attention to this via the media is a sure-fire way to get unwanted attention.
+1. I was, to be fair, a bit surprised that the Mint was so "direct" in their reasons for the closure.
Almost as though they were reading from the NPR script. Come to think of it.......
@:-)

Dave
Old Jul 22, 11, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold
Drawing attention to this via the media is a sure-fire way to get unwanted attention.
Agree totally.
Old Jul 22, 11, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by jlgrandam View Post
LOL this has been going on for 3+ years!
For the past three years, the Direct Ship program has been modified... meaning the Mint has been trying to counter certain practices (of course with limited success). Limits on orders, number of days, credit card addresses, even the credit card companies modified what could be acceptable as Mint purchases.

Mr. Pickles and those that tried to raise attention to it in the past may or may not have started the wheel to roll, but at some point, it will get critical mass, as shown today.

The Mint's website explicitly stated the misuse of the Direct Ship program by frequent flyers; hell, it doesn't say "credit card reward programs", it only says frequent flyer miles... I view that as pretty strong evidence the Mint is singling out activities found on FT that attracted much more attention recently.

It doesn't help that the articles talk about the waste in the Direct Ship program, and the politicians are currently in a cost cutting mindset. This was easy pickings for them to end... and say that they are combating government waste.
Old Jul 22, 11, 11:03 am

Time for everyone to post your totals! I'm around $80K and know that I'm small potatoes.
Old Jul 22, 11, 11:04 am

For the past three years, the Direct Ship program has been modified... meaning the Mint has been trying to counter certain practices (of course with limited success). Limits on orders, number of days, credit card addresses, even the credit card companies modified what could be acceptable as Mint purchases.

Mr. Pickles and those that tried to raise attention to it in the past may or may not have started the wheel to roll, but at some point, it will get critical mass, as shown today.

The Mint's website explicitly stated the misuse of the Direct Ship program by frequent flyers; hell, it doesn't say "credit card reward programs", it only says frequent flyer miles... I view that as pretty strong evidence the Mint is singling out activities found on FT that attracted much more attention recently.

It doesn't help that the articles talk about the waste in the Direct Ship program, and the politicians are currently in a cost cutting mindset. This was easy pickings for them to end... and say that they are combatting government waste.

Dude, name one other deal that has lasted 3+ years. We all had a great run and there is no need for ANYONE to complain!
Old Jul 22, 11, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by jlgrandam View Post
Dude, name one other deal that has lasted 3+ years. We all had a great run and there is no need for ANYONE to complain!
And could this have gone longer without the attention? If you do a search on FT, you'll find that there were other "loopholes" that existed for quite awhile, until it got very public. The Amex travel cheques come to mind...

I'm certainly not complaining... if you interpreted that, you're mistaken. I'm pointing out that getting the attention of the media is not a good idea.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: