Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Jul 21, 11, 5:39 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by brasov02 View Post
So basically we're allowed to rant about selling weapons to terrorists and raising corporate taxes..etc., so long as we mention the word coin. Then we're good to go? (I like coins.) Just want to make sure I've got the proper etiquette down here.
The preference is that a post both have a dollar coin context and make sense, but that may be setting the bar too high for some.
Old Jul 21, 11, 5:43 pm

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, PriorityClub, HHonors
Originally Posted by brasov02 View Post
Someone simply claims to "have a friend" who knows something and we're ready to give up? Come on. Buck up. If it makes you feel any better, I also have a friend who works at the mint and he said this other friend mentioned above is either imaginary or he's just pulling smata67's chain. (And pulling chains is obviously not too difficult in this thread .)
A True FTer will NEVER give up and will ride this train to the end of the line. Kinda like Major T.J. Kong on that Fat Boy!

But we know the end is around the corner. The depletion of the presidents and pre-2011 NAs suggests that.
Old Jul 21, 11, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Starwood Plat
Sorry - just learned how to use the search feature.......

Last edited by nelsoji; Jul 21, 11 at 7:58 pm Reason: newbie
Old Jul 21, 11, 8:38 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, CX, SQ, BA
Damn, almost all the coins sold out, but 2011 Native American Dollar coins still available. Does bank accept them?
Old Jul 21, 11, 8:39 pm

shipping
although there have been hundreds of supposed "data points" about when orders ship, the reality is that there is no way to know when an order will ship. if there is a pattern or a policy followed by the mint internally, no one on the outside knows what it is and there is no evidence that it is discernable beyond speculation. although a statement by the mint that a particular coin is on "backorder" is generally a good indicator that it will not ship immediately, the backorder date is otherwise almost totally unreliable.

the end of the program
rumors of the demise of the direct ship program are just that, rumors. it is important to distinguish between the end of the dollar coin program from the direct ship program. the former is set to run through ford, and later presidents who by then have been dead for at least 2 years. it's not clear when, or whether, the NA coin will be terminated.

but the real issue for FT is whether or when the direct ship program will end. speculation as to its imminent demise has run rampant many times: when the word first got out, when the WSJ published an article on it, when the usa today ran an article, when mr pickles reported multiple deposits of tens of thousands at a time, when waves of new FT members joined primarily for info about the coins, when the mint stopped honoring amex gift cards, and when NPR ran its most recent hit piece on the coin loophole.

despite the obvious loophole, and despite taking measures intended to limit coin purchases, the mint has never suspended the direct ship program entirely (not counting scheduled inventory periods, during which orders may not be taken and nothing ships). the mint's reasons for maintaining the free shipping program are subject to just as much speculation. in the end, we don't know.
Old Jul 21, 11, 11:34 pm

Programs: Dime con quien andas,y te dire quien eres
Originally Posted by crabbing View Post
shipping
although there have been hundreds of supposed "data points" about when orders ship, the reality is that there is no way to know when an order will ship. if there is a pattern or a policy followed by the mint internally, no one on the outside knows what it is and there is no evidence that it is discernable beyond speculation. although a statement by the mint that a particular coin is on "backorder" is generally a good indicator that it will not ship immediately, the backorder date is otherwise almost totally unreliable.

the end of the program
rumors of the demise of the direct ship program are just that, rumors. it is important to distinguish between the end of the dollar coin program from the direct ship program. the former is set to run through ford, and later presidents who by then have been dead for at least 2 years. it's not clear when, or whether, the NA coin will be terminated.

but the real issue for FT is whether or when the direct ship program will end. speculation as to its imminent demise has run rampant many times: when the word first got out, when the WSJ published an article on it, when the usa today ran an article, when mr pickles reported multiple deposits of tens of thousands at a time, when waves of new FT members joined primarily for info about the coins, when the mint stopped honoring amex gift cards, and when NPR ran its most recent hit piece on the coin loophole.

despite the obvious loophole, and despite taking measures intended to limit coin purchases, the mint has never suspended the direct ship program entirely (not counting scheduled inventory periods, during which orders may not be taken and nothing ships). the mint's reasons for maintaining the free shipping program are subject to just as much speculation. in the end, we don't know.
Well said.

Maybe somebody could call the mint,and just ask if they are going to terminate the direct ship program as we know it. -- / --
Old Jul 21, 11, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by Goofy Foot View Post
Well said.

Maybe somebody could call the mint,and just ask if they are going to terminate the direct ship program as we know it. -- / --
I will send DD an email and ask him to get right on it.
Old Jul 21, 11, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by MojaveJack View Post
Anyone know of other ways to churn CCs for miles?
There are no other ways so please keep wasting your time here!
Old Jul 22, 11, 3:56 am

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, PriorityClub, HHonors
Originally Posted by crabbing View Post
shipping

the end of the program

This should be added to the sticky. :-:
Not that any newbies ever read it.
Old Jul 22, 11, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by aviators99 View Post
Originally Posted by MyTravels View Post
Originally Posted by MojaveJack View Post
If [ cost of producing $1 coin ] + [ cost of shipping $1 coin ] + [ processing fees/coin (including CC charges) ] < $1/coin then the mint makes a profit
Only with government math. That's equivalent to saying if a company issues new shares the money raised in the new issuance is profit. (It's actually dilution)
Wrong. These coins do not dilute the money supply. They are replacing bills.
MojaveJack's formula only includes the cost of coin production for profit - which is only applicable if expanding the money supply & hence the analogy on why that's not really accurate.

If the minting of coins are replacing bills then the basis would not be only production cost, but the incremental difference in lifetime production cost vs the same lifespan of similar bills.

So either way the math is wrong.
Old Jul 22, 11, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by aviators99 View Post
Originally Posted by badgerW View Post
So you are saying that the government is keeping the M0 (hard currency) money supply static? That for every coin or bill they mint or print, they are destroying an equivalent amount of coins or bills?
In essence, yes. The minting of coins is for money that has already been authorized to be added to the money supply (via any format).
The gov is diluting the money supply (M0) with or without the coins, I have no insight into if the coins are an excuse for further money supply expansion (dilution) or not, but dilution should be included in any money supply expansion "profit" calculations.

Last edited by MyTravels; Jul 22, 11 at 6:18 am
Old Jul 22, 11, 7:35 am

I have AMEX Starwood Preferred Guest... Does anyone know if the coins will still earn me points. I've read that some companies won't. I dont see why since the credit card companies are still earning their fees from the Mint. I ordered my coins on 7/16/11, but they are on hold until 7/31/11. So, can I order more 10 days after i submitted my order or after it ships?

Advice please! I'm a newbie
Old Jul 22, 11, 7:38 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by Themamulas View Post
I have AMEX Starwood Preferred Guest... Does anyone know if the coins will still earn me points. I've read that some companies won't. I dont see why since the credit card companies are still earning their fees from the Mint. I ordered my coins on 7/16/11, but they are on hold until 7/31/11. So, can I order more 10 days after i submitted my order or after it ships?

Your card will be cancelled and you'll be put on the SPG blacklist and never be able to go to a Starwood property.
Old Jul 22, 11, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by Themamulas View Post

As far as earning points read the sticky. On this thread only talk about credit cards that don't work, not those that do.

As far as the 10 day rule YMMV. Just try it and see. I have had different experiences as have others on here as to when the 10 day rule starts.
Old Jul 22, 11, 8:53 am

Programs: Several dozen
The debate over whether the coins create inflation and economic growth is now over. Just broke out 1,250.00 and ran it through my bank's sorter. The result was a deposit amount of 1,254.75.

This is proof that these gold coins are magical. If Obama would now just leave the door ajar to the Mint, all of us can rush in and create all the money the US needs and the country will never have to raise the debt ceiling. Get NPR on the phone, mobilize the troops, and circle the wheelbarrows!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: