Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Jul 20, 11, 1:50 pm

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, PriorityClub, HHonors
Originally Posted by crabbing View Post
while reagan was, in fact, the least popular president in modern history based on actual polls, the presidential coin program is currently expected to end with his coin as it only honors dead presidents.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histori..._United_States shows quite the opposite.

The program still has a few years to run, so there's a good chance Carter and/or Bush I will make the cut. And with life being so unpredictable, Clinton, Bush II, and Obama are not beyond possibility.

Time will tell.
Old Jul 20, 11, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh View Post
I would also like to see the first lady dollar coins go into circulation.
So are you going to help by buying some from the mint and spending them?
They are legal tender with a $10 face.

We need to be PC and mint women as well as men.
Think you need a history lesson. Look at the coins from the 19th Century. Lady Liberty was all over those coins. Susan B Anthony dollars. Saca and other native american coins. Women adorned US coins BEFORE men.
Old Jul 20, 11, 3:17 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by MojaveJack View Post
Think you need a history lesson. Look at the coins from the 19th Century. Lady Liberty was all over those coins. Susan B Anthony dollars. Saca and other native american coins. Women adorned US coins BEFORE men.
Facts, sourced information and a knowledge of history are all in short supply in this thread. Rather than exchange information about the coin program, many prefer to rant about politics and speculate about the unknowable.

Let's talk about coins.
Old Jul 20, 11, 3:42 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
This is a new one for me but i have only been a coin collector for the last 7 months. I ordered july 18 and when i checked today it moved from hold to in process and later was in process without the cancel box, but here is the kicker the box still says 4 units backordered. Expected to ship on 08/04/2011.
All the times before it has stayed on hold until after they were in stock and reserved. I checked and the credit card has not been authorized.
Any thoughts on this one?
Old Jul 20, 11, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by particlemn View Post
This is a new one for me but i have only been a coin collector for the last 7 months. I ordered july 18 and when i checked today it moved from hold to in process and later was in process without the cancel box, but here is the kicker the box still says 4 units backordered. Expected to ship on 08/04/2011.
All the times before it has stayed on hold until after they were in stock and reserved. I checked and the credit card has not been authorized.
Any thoughts on this one?
Nothing odd, just the slow moving process of getting coins. You'll get the CC authorization once they ship
Old Jul 20, 11, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dayone View Post
By swiping one's ATM or debit card at the teller's station. It has been several years since I've seen a deposit slip.
Originally Posted by Stoughton View Post
Have never seen such a thing. All the banks around here require a paper slip
Every major bank in this country has presence here. None has done away deposit slip whether swipe ATM card or not. All require deposit slips other than paying credit cards.

In fact I tried to do one deposit with Chase a few months ago with only ATM card and was sent back to the corner desk to fill out a paper deposit slip.

Wells Fargo finally hang up its shingle on all the Wachovia branches here since July 11th. All the old Wachovia deposit slips are gone, replaced with Wells Fargo deposit slips - and yes, even with the new Wells Fargo swipe machines (which do not seem to work very well with the touch screen so they need to hook up a key pad device for the PIN entry), still need to fill out the new Wells Fargo slip.

An interesting thing is, the Wells Fargo deposit slip looks almost identical to Chase deposit slip in both design and color (pink). If one does not look at the name of the bank on it, one cannot tell which bank's deposit slip is.

I am actually at a loss why they all insist to have paper deposit slips which occasionally would be mis-read by the back office nightly reconciliation employees and causing the deposits not recorded on the same day, despite the tellers entered the account numbers correctly (with ATM card swipe).
Old Jul 20, 11, 4:50 pm

Programs: A little bit of miles and points scattered everywhere
really???? do the tellers there still wear green visors as well?
Old Jul 20, 11, 5:06 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by teammjs View Post
how about a Jane Wyman special at the end of the First Ladies Program, exclusively for FlyerTalk direct shipments?
Old Jul 20, 11, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by koctail View Post
really???? do the tellers there still wear green visors as well?
No, but they do know me by name, take coins w/o question, and ask about our last trip and when the next will be.
Old Jul 20, 11, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
I have accounts at 6 banks for my coin deposits and have always used deposit slips. I don't even carry ATM cards for 5 of the 6. I order deposit slips only from the check printing company and have gone through MANY deposit slips over the past few years !

Plus, my son makes most of my deposits and is not on any of the accounts, nor does he have ATM cards for any of them. The paper slips work best for my situation, where I am not the one usually making the deposits.
Old Jul 20, 11, 5:25 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Missing the point here - our first ladies deserve their own coins, not medals. Name one American first lady on a circulating coin. They wuz robbed! Lady Liberty is no more real than Captain America! If you want a history lesson, go figure which presidential wife was the first known descendant of the King of England!

Originally Posted by MojaveJack View Post
So are you going to help by buying some from the mint and spending them?
They are legal tender with a $10 face.

Old Jul 20, 11, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy View Post
Missing the point here - our first ladies deserve their own coins, not medals. Name one American first lady on a circulating coin. They wuz robbed! Lady Liberty is no more real than Captain America! If you want a history lesson, go figure which presidential wife was the first known descendant of the King of England!
I'll name 4: Eliza Johnson, Julia Grant, Lucy Hayes, and Lucretia Garfield.

http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/firstSpouse/

Perhaps not exactly circulating, but they are coins not medals.
Old Jul 20, 11, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy View Post
No YOU missed the point. They do have coins in addition to the medals. They have 1/2 troy ounce $10 gold coins. These are LEGAL TENDER. You can circulate them if you wish, though that would be foolish considering their intrinsic value is much higher than their face.

The quote was:
We need to be PC and mint women as well as men.
No requirement of circulating OR real women there.

As for "which presidential wife was the first known descendant of the King of England," who cares? Ones pedigree pales in comparison to what they accomplished as chief executive or first lady.
Old Jul 20, 11, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by IkeEsq View Post
I'll name 4: Eliza Johnson, Julia Grant, Lucy Hayes, and Lucretia Garfield.

http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/firstSpouse/

Perhaps not exactly circulating, but they are coins not medals.
Look at that page a little closer, you'll find Martha Washington, Abigail Adams, Dolly Madison, Elizabeth Monroe, Louisa Adams, Anna Harrison, Letitia Tyler, Julia Tyler, Sarah Polk, Margaret Taylor, Abigail Filmore, Jane Pierce, and Mary Todd Lincoln as well. That makes SEVENTEEN so far, all $10 legal tender coins.

And there are "spacer" coins for Jefferson, Jackson, and Van Buren whose wives died before they assumed office and for Buchanan who was not married. These all feature a "Lady Liberty" design from past coinage.
Old Jul 20, 11, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by tjbrooks View Post
I would love a Kamehameha coin. Coins in Hawaii are apparently quite rare, everyone I gave one to last week seemed either perplexed or excited to see one.
I get the same reaction here... except from my favorite lunch wagon where they just roll their eyes when they see me coming.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: