Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Jul 19, 11, 1:06 pm

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, PriorityClub, HHonors
Originally Posted by hqly2001 View Post
UPS guy came and knocked one softly then left. From experience do they normally come back and try one more time the same day or will it be the next day?
They usually only hit a given part of their service area once per day. Unless you're near the UPS center and they came early, I wouldn't expect them a second time.

My son lives 0.1 miles from the UPS center. If he's not home on the first attempt they leave him a slip to pickup within a week or it's sent back. NO SECOND ATTEMPT is made.

Go figure.
Old Jul 19, 11, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, Hilton D, Mariott/SPG Plat Elite, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Plat, Amex Plat
Interesting article here http://www.coinweek.com/news/feature...-coin-program/ claims that the coins and direct ship program don't even cost the government any money. The mint is self-funded.

With that in mind, Congress would be really foolish to end the program, despite NPR's repeated attempts to portray it as some government giveaway to FTers.
Old Jul 19, 11, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh View Post
Hopefully the Reagans make it in the direct ship program, if the program is still around then. Hopefully Jackie Speier's plans don't go through before the Reagan coin is minted, that is one dollar coin I would like to have in my collection.
I suspect that Reagan will be widely collected. I may just buy the 90% silver one from the mint. :-::-::-:
Old Jul 19, 11, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
With that in mind, Congress would be really foolish to end the program, despite NPR's repeated attempts to portray it as some government giveaway to FTers.
Who ever accused Congress of making sense?
Old Jul 19, 11, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by MojaveJack View Post
This Page Intentionally Left Blank '

Cut federal funding of NPR

:-: God Bless America!!! :-:
@:-)^^^:-::-::-::-::-:^^^@:-)
I am all for cutting (and better yet eliminating) the federal funding of NPR.
Old Jul 19, 11, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting article here http://www.coinweek.com/news/feature...-coin-program/ claims that the coins and direct ship program don't even cost the government any money. The mint is self-funded.

Thanks for posting that. Too bad NPR wouldn't have done their research. NPR needs to focus on programs that ARE costing the taxpayers dollars that should be cut or elimianted.
Old Jul 19, 11, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, Hilton D, Mariott/SPG Plat Elite, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Plat, Amex Plat
Speaking as someone who used to work for PBS, I agree wholeheartedly.

Most people don't realise that most of NPR & PBS's funding isn't federal anyway, so it wouldn't materially change much about the programming I enjoy every morning and evening.

I doubt cutting federal funding for NPR will stop sloppy journalism about pieces like coin direct ship, though. The journalist never bothered once to ask anyone qualified to comment on the issue if the dollar coin program costs the government any money at all, nor addressed the fact every other industrialised nation on earth uses $1 (or $2) dollar equivalent coins to the exclusion of notes.
Old Jul 19, 11, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by GOFLYZONE View Post
Every post from this GOFLYZONE person seems to be of the nature of stalking/harassing jamesteroh.

Isn't there a rule on FlyerTalk against harassing other users?
Old Jul 19, 11, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I suspect that Reagan will be widely collected. I may just buy the 90% silver one from the mint. :-::-::-:
Yes, I agree it will be a very popular coin. He was the most popular president to leave office in modern history.
Old Jul 19, 11, 1:45 pm

Ambiguous on my part. By CUT I meant AXE, REMOVE, ELIMINATE, END.

Speaking as someone who used to work for PBS, I agree wholeheartedly.

Most people don't realise that most of NPR & PBS's funding isn't federal anyway, so it wouldn't materially change much about the programming I enjoy every morning and evening.
All the more reason to CEASE and DESIST public funding. It may only be a small fraction of decreasing federal spending and reducing the deficit, but every little bit helps. Problem is the idiots in the Executive and Congressional branches want some large sweeping cut to fix things. They don't want to look for all the little savings here and there that would add up and could make as decent dent when added all together.

Yes in some cases big cuts may be helpful and necessary, but they shouldn't overlook all the little ones that help as well.

..................:-:
...........:-:.....|.....:-:
.......:-:.........|.........:-:
.....:-:...........|...........:-:
......:-:..........|..........:-:
.........:-:.......|.......:-:
...............:-:.|.:-:

Last edited by MojaveJack; Jul 21, 11 at 1:32 am
Old Jul 19, 11, 1:49 pm

I think it's pretty doubtful that the same people who order dollar coins from the government in order to collect frequent flier miles are also generous enough to donate to NPR.
Old Jul 19, 11, 1:51 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Titanium
What status is your order in?

If you're In Process I think you still have a good chance of getting them.
If you're On Hold I'd be more worried.

YMMV.
The order is in "On Hold" with the Item Status as "__ units backordered. Expected to ship on 08/03/11."

Put the order in on Saturday so it might not have processed yet... There was no pre-authorization on my CC as well.
Old Jul 19, 11, 1:53 pm

After re-reading the NPR article again, what issues do you all have with the accuracy?

Everyone here is buying the coins then depositing nearly all of them back in the bank. Let's not fool ourselves into what's really going on dudes.
Old Jul 19, 11, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jesperss View Post
I think it's pretty doubtful that the same people who order dollar coins from the government in order to collect frequent flier miles are also generous enough to donate to NPR.
Has nothing to do with being "generous". I order coins, but am generous to a couple charities, just not NPR. I am sure most NPR donors don't contribute to a lot of the charities I find to be worth supporting.
Old Jul 19, 11, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jesperss View Post
After re-reading the NPR article again, what issues do you all have with the accuracy?

Everyone here is buying the coins then depositing nearly all of them back in the bank. Let's not fool ourselves into what's really going on dudes.
One big problem I have with the story are words they used such as "scheme" and "exploit" The story also implied that this was costing the taxpayers a lot of money and made it sound like most of us were depositing hundreds of thousands on a regular basis.

One issue I also had was that Caitlin Kenney contacted me and others via a PM about this story via the FT name mangotree22 and included her NPR email address (which I just ignored the message).

They should have also included info as to how we are using the coins and trying to get them into circulation and the problems some of us run ito with merchants that won't accept the coins or even know what they are.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: