Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2011, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by SPLICERSZEBRA
Walmart is a great store. Best prices, good selection, nice employees. I would love to see Walmart branch out into banking.
So would I. Walmart is great about allowing money orders to be purchased with the coins and as others have said sometimes they will allow you to exchange them for paper currency.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA, AA, US, DL, PC Plat, Dollar, Avis, National, SPG, HH Gold, CC Gold
Originally Posted by j-rad
Does anyone know if the coin counters at TD Bank reads these coins? Seems like an easy way to deposit the coins instead of annoying the tellers. Probably a stretch, but doesn't hurt to ask.
My bank has two different types of coin counters and they handle the coins without a hitch. Many people throughout this thread have used coin counters effectively. Using a coin counter and then depositing the slip or cash (depending on the counter type) is a good way to bypass the whole "Will I get grief for depositing coins?"

The only coins that the coin counters have problems with (at least at my bank) are the Eisenhower dollars. My coin counters have signs asking to not deposit Eisenhower dollars.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 11:26 pm

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, PriorityClub, HHonors
Originally Posted by balima
The only coins that the coin counters have problems with (at least at my bank) are the Eisenhower dollars. My coin counters have signs asking to not deposit Eisenhower dollars.
Not likely to be a big problem. Seems almost all the Ikes have been pulled from circulation. Not by the gov't but by collectors, hoarders, and the general public as collectors items.

Last week while I was at WF, the guy next to me asked the teller if they had any Ikes. He was ready to "buy" whatever they had. They asked him if he wanted any of the presidents I was depositing but he declined. He only likes the "BIG" dollars.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:54 am

Programs: MR, SPG, IHG, HH, CC, AA, UA, BA, DL
Originally Posted by balima
My branch's coin-counting machine had a few of these stuck in it. The teller changin the bag I'd just filled up they were part of my deposit and I ended up pocketing them. Profit!!

Originally Posted by MojaveJack
Last week while I was at WF, the guy next to me asked the teller if they had any Ikes. He was ready to "buy" whatever they had. They asked him if he wanted any of the presidents I was depositing but he declined. He only likes the "BIG" dollars.
He might have been planning to get these and sort through them, hoping to find some junk silver dollars.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Sorry, you ain't gonna slight the rest of the presidents, GOFLYZONE. What kind of a person would seek to deny Teddy Roosevelt his own coin? Why, that's soooo unAmerican!
And disrespectful to the Native Americans as well

Who is to say he is American thouigh? I wouldn't be surprise if his birth certificate says he was born someplace besides the US. Only a foreigner would show such disrespect to our dead presidents and the Native Americans.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Sorry, you ain't gonna slight the rest of the presidents, GOFLYZONE. What kind of a person would seek to deny Teddy Roosevelt his own coin? Why, that's soooo unAmerican!
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
And disrespectful to the Native Americans as well

Who is to say he is American thouigh? I wouldn't be surprise if his birth certificate says he was born someplace besides the US. Only a foreigner would show such disrespect to our dead presidents and the Native Americans.
From what I can see he's a newbie (joined Jul 2011), most of his posts have been argumentative, and has yet to post anything truly useful or constructive.

Originally Posted by GOFLYZONE
I'm going to contact my officials and suggest ending the coin program, and using the savings to support NPR.
Add to this his outspoken support of NPR and advocacy of ending the Dollar Direct Program, makes you wonder if he isn't an NPR plant?

Sic semper tyrannis

Last edited by MojaveJack; Jul 19, 2011 at 11:05 am
Old Jul 19, 2011, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From what I can see he's a newbie (joined Jul 2011), most of his posts have been argumentative, and has yet to post anything truly useful or constructive.

Add to this his outspoken support of NPR and advocacy of ending the Dollar Direct Program, makes you wonder if he isn't an NPR plant?
It's someone stalking me, which is obvious from his posts. The guy is a foreigner, and big time union supporter. He is stalking me from another site that I won't even post on anymore because him and his buddies ruined the site by posting totally off topic. It's a stock board for a company that he owns no sotck in and for a business he has never patronized before. Just like on this site, which if for frequent travellers, he only flies every other year to go back to his own country to visit. He is obvoiusly trying to ruin FT the way he ruins other sites he is on.

Funny thing is his profile says he is an NW AFA member. Right there show how little he knows of the travel industry. NW hasn't existed for a few years, and when they got acquired by Delta, the current delta employees told the unions to pound sand, so with the exception of the pilots, and maybe one other group, their workforce is non union by choice.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by HmmDonuts
M
He might have been planning to get these and sort through them, hoping to
find some junk silver dollars.
Winner.

Some Eikes contain about .3 oz of silver in them. He was going to dig through them and look for these.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HmmDonuts
My branch's coin-counting machine had a few of these stuck in it. The teller changin the bag I'd just filled up they were part of my deposit and I ended up pocketing them. Profit!! .
You did good I got shorted by a couple dollars by a coinstar machine at Kroger when there was the itunes gift card promo and I did the $40 deposit. I put $40 in and it only gave me credit for $38 so I had to put in another $2. I got a $10 gift card out of the promo so I was still $8 Ahead

Love your username BTW. I am a big Simpsons fan
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by Jesperss
Winner.

Some Eikes contain about .3 oz of silver in them. He was going to dig through them and look for these.
But I don't think any of the Ikes made for circulation had silver.
The only silver ones I know of were Proof and Unc Ikes sold to collectors.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:16 am

You did good I got shorted by a couple dollars by a coinstar machine at Kroger when there was the itunes gift card promo and I did the $40 deposit. I put $40 in and it only gave me credit for $38 so I had to put in another $2. I got a $10 gift card out of the promo so I was still $8 Ahead
In my view, you were still $2 behind. You were entitled to/earned a net of $10 not $8.

I had a coinstar at A&P "short" me $2 on a Lowe's card during the promo. It repeatedly rejected some $s and while I was trying to find others it timed out on me so I only got a slip for $38! I called CoinStar and Lowe's and went round and round several times. Forgot who resolved it, but I did get my $10 card eventually.

Another card I ordered with the code NEVER arrived. I called and they couldn't issue me another so they sent me a $10 check! BooYah!

The slips you get from CoinStar are lame as I wanted them for gifts (they are GCs aren't they? ). Several Lowe's said they couldn't do anything. They told me, "Just use them to buy a gift." Kinda defeats the purpose of a GC. I finally found a manager who knew how to convert the slip into a plastic Lowe's GC. When I went in, the clerk said it couldn't be done. I asked for the manager and voila! Several CoinStar paper slips and the plasitc $10 bonus cards were converted into various $25 Lowe's NASCAR and flower graphics cards (Easter and Mother's Day gifts).

Last edited by MojaveJack; Jul 19, 2011 at 11:22 am
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:39 am

Programs: AA Gold
But I don't think any of the Ikes made for circulation had silver.
The only silver ones I know of were Proof and Unc Ikes sold to collectors.
This is correct, thus it would be highly unlikely to find any silver in a pile of Ikes.

(The Kennedy half dollar from '65 to '69 was 40% silver.)
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:40 am

It's someone stalking me, which is obvious from his posts. The guy is a foreigner, and big time union supporter. He is stalking me from another site that I won't even post on anymore because him and his buddies ruined the site by posting totally off topic. It's a stock board for a company that he owns no sotck in and for a business he has never patronized before. Just like on this site, which if for frequent travellers, he only flies every other year to go back to his own country to visit. He is obvoiusly trying to ruin FT the way he ruins other sites he is on.

Funny thing is his profile says he is an NW AFA member. Right there show how little he knows of the travel industry. NW hasn't existed for a few years, and when they got acquired by Delta, the current delta employees told the unions to pound sand, so with the exception of the pilots, and maybe one other group, their workforce is non union by choice.
It's "people", and I use the term loosely, like this that get boards/threads closed. Seems like this may be their intent. I don't know why they care. Like the libs that call Rush to argue. Do they really think they're going to get anywhere?

On some other boards the moderators have more of an iron fist and shut these down after they don't respond to a warning or two. The price of Free Speech. :-::-::-:

God Bless America! ^:-::-::-:@:-)@:-)@:-)@:-)@:-):-::-::-:^

Last edited by MojaveJack; Jul 19, 2011 at 10:47 am
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by yorock
This is correct, thus it would be highly unlikely to find any silver in a pile of Ikes.

I think the silver clad/40% silver Kennedy's were produced until 1970.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:23 am

Programs: HH Gold, MR Silver, PC Platinum, CC Gold
Originally Posted by yorock

I came in late on this thread. What about the '64 Kennedy half dollar? Silver content? I also have a Ben Franklin '65 half dollar. Silver content? O.K. It looks like Ben. Maybe it's someone else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.