Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2011, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by MojaveJack
Only problem with that is that the rules of the game have changed several times since it began. Reading it all from the beginning can be confusing. It really would be nice if the FAQ were up to date and complete with all the info one needed.

That's an ever present danger as long as we maintain a public forum. It's a risk we take and just cannot be avoided in an open discussion. Just another reason to lobby for the end of funding to NPR which would only leave 100+ other outlets to contend with!
you are correct on all counts. and I like the last one about NPR lol

Originally Posted by jesseegnew
Started @ page 1 and went to 20
them went to 850 and am now on 933 with no great answers.
I like the starbucks stuff and the buy on one card and return on another debt card you posted and will try that soon.
I know there is no get rich quick and easy threads.
Just asking for some help.
Best,
Jesse
Well I am glad you are giving it a shot. Sorry if I came off as mean or anything. I have gotten about 21472949242 similar PMs in the past week and some just want spoon feeding, whereas some will give an attempt.

Note that the Starbucks thing does not work any longer. At least it didn't when I last tested it about a month ago in my area.

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
AMEX does Financial Reviews for many reasons, considering it a heretical use of their cards to buy coins, gift cards, and make payments to yourself on payment systems.
Amex had yet to do an FR on my SPG or HH cards. Both are used for a lot of what I guess Amex and the rest of the sane world would consider 'normal' purchases, but both were HEAVILY used for coins and GCs from 1-3x per month. In fact my most recent canceled SPG order was $11,250 (leaving about $2k on the card for other stuff) so that's nearly one night at the Westin Maui that just aint gonna happen now that the mint has MY number.

I was glad to not have a FR but yeah, somehow some way, things stop fun. (then again there are going to be ways to create new fun, but I don't like hearing that because then it looks like it's ok to lose one and we all know it's not)
Old Jul 17, 2011, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by MojaveJack

A TRUE FTer would applaud any opportunity for free miles.
Exactly. And I am sure the people complaining about this program are nt frequent flyers. Kind of like when Delta charged the servicemen to check bags. Everyone on the Delta forum understood how travel and reimbursements worked on that thread. But the kettles responding to the youtube clip saw it differently. '
Old Jul 17, 2011, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Sorry, you ain't gonna slight the rest of the presidents, GOFLYZONE. What kind of a person would seek to deny Teddy Roosevelt his own coin? Why, that's soooo unAmerican!
Pretty disrespectful to the rest of the presidents if we don't mint them. Maybe he would rather we eliminate the program and use the savings to give each of the unminted presidents their own government holiday instead? Ronald Reagans birthday was on Feb 6, so we could move presidents day up a few days. I think one of them was born in January so we could move MLK day to their birthday instead.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
lol!

Here's a thought NPR missed:

So, um, why do FFer's even DO all this supposed unethical, abusing, hacking activity JUST to get miles anyway?

Oh I know! Because airlines (in part bailed out by government many times with that cost being passed to us) run a pretty huge markup scam by the way they charge for tickets and tack on fees so we need more miles to get to where we are going--be it for leisure, family or business travel (noting that with a small company or one's own business, this means you'd have to pay for it yourself either way)

So we use our CCs, which we legitimately applied for and were granted--and became darn good with our payment history and credit score to do so--and we used our brains in how we spend to obtain these miles when buying products and services provided in the public domain for all to utilize.
GREAT points.

There are so many other things the government waste our money on. How much money is wasted on prevailing wage instead of using the lowest qualified contractor on government jobs? Theres a lot of other similar waste of our money just because groups contribute to the politicians.

Maybe FTers need to contribute to a politician to keep our programs safeL
Old Jul 17, 2011, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Would be interesting to find or create the definition of a 'true FTer'

Perhaps it would include some of these?

~someone who can find deals or create methods of working through a deal to get an extra bonus beyond what the program designed without necessarily breaking laws or rules

~someone who can do the above and get the miles WITH breaking rules

~someone who is good at what if, troubleshooting, repetitive tasks that produce gain, loophole finding

~someone who gets excited at opportunities that could bring miles and points

~someone who, through the efforts of dealing with promotions and credit cards or other mile-gaining tools, has become (or is already) savvy with:

Customer service issues
credit scores
banking needs
letter writing skills

~can relate FF issues with other issues/problems that they have experienced in other areas of personal or business life

~has developed a sense of the online community, how and when to share, how to ask and what to ask, how to PM and reply to people, etc.

~Is not perfect at any of the above nor considers himself or herself to be.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by badgerW
So you are saying that the government is keeping the M0 (hard currency) money supply static? That for every coin or bill they mint or print, they are destroying an equivalent amount of coins or bills?
In essence, yes. The minting of coins is for money that has already been authorized to be added to the money supply (via any format). There's not an additional M0 allocation for these coins specifically.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 8:25 pm

How many more pages do we need of this? There is nothing illegal about what is going on. As far as exploiting or taking advantage of the program it is clear what is going on here.

exploiting
1. Make full use of and derive benefit from (a resource): "500 companies sprang up to exploit this new technology".
2. Use (a situation or person) in an unfair or selfish way: "the company was exploiting a legal loophole".
Old Jul 17, 2011, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Gold, HH.
NBC News on 1 dollar direct ship program

Tonight NBC news mentioned the problem with 1 dollar coin direct ship program and the fact that there are almost 1 billion coins sitting in a vault in Baltimore. They actually interviewed one of the congressman who sponsored the bill to put direct ship program in place and now admits that it is not working as intended. Will be interesting to see if any changes are coming...
Old Jul 17, 2011, 9:18 pm

Programs: AME NW AFA
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
GREAT points.

There are so many other things the government waste our money on. How much money is wasted on prevailing wage instead of using the lowest qualified contractor on government jobs? Theres a lot of other similar waste of our money just because groups contribute to the politicians.

Maybe FTers need to contribute to a politician to keep our programs safeL
You're getting off topic. The government should be paying for qualified union workers.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 9:24 pm

Programs: AME NW AFA
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Pretty disrespectful to the rest of the presidents if we don't mint them. Maybe he would rather we eliminate the program and use the savings to give each of the unminted presidents their own government holiday instead? Ronald Reagans birthday was on Feb 6, so we could move presidents day up a few days. I think one of them was born in January so we could move MLK day to their birthday instead.
THIS IS NOT A POLITICAL FORUM. Dead Presidents are dead Presidents.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 9:30 pm

Programs: Several dozen
There you go - we all just need to organize. Now taking membership applications for the Brotherhood of Coin Haulers and Paper Hangers, Local 531.

Originally Posted by GOFLYZONE
You're getting off topic. The government should be paying for qualified union workers.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat; Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, BestW Plat
Originally Posted by aviators99
In essence, yes. The minting of coins is for money that has already been authorized to be added to the money supply (via any format). There's not an additional M0 allocation for these coins specifically.
Ok, but the M0 is rising in general, no? You could play accounting tricks such that any particular part of the newly-minted/printed hard currency supply (e.g., dollar coins, hundred dollar bills, 10 dollar bills) does not count as "added dollars" versus what is being removed, but in aggregate, the M0 is increasing.

I understand that your point is that "each dollar coin minted equals one less dollar bill printed" but that doesn't negate the point about dilution of the money supply.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:00 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Au contrare! Not all Dead Presidents are considered Dead Presidents! Where's the dollar for Peyton Randolph, President of the Continental Congress. He wuz robbed! So was Henry Middleton, John Hancock, Henry Laurens, John Jay, Samuel Huntington, Thomas McKean, John Hanson, Elias Boudinot, Thomas Mifflin, Richard Henry Lee, Nathaniel Gorham, Arthur St. Clair, and Cyrus Griffin.

This is not about politics but about justice! We should all rise up and demand that all Presidents get their own coin.

Originally Posted by GOFLYZONE
THIS IS NOT A POLITICAL FORUM. Dead Presidents are dead Presidents.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:09 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
There you go - we all just need to organize. Now taking membership applications for the Brotherhood of Coin Haulers and Paper Hangers, Local 531.
Sign me up, I'd like to be a charter member.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I wonder how much the mint would save if they shipped the coins Ground instead of Next Day Air.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.