Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2011, 1:01 pm

Programs: AME NW AFA
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Also perhaps contacting our elected officials over our tax dollars supporting NPR as well.
I'm going to contact my officials and suggest ending the coin program, and using the savings to support NPR.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 1:11 pm

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, PriorityClub, HHonors
Originally Posted by GOFLYZONE
I'm going to contact my officials and suggest ending the coin program, and using the savings to support NPR.

Kill the paper dollar and keep the coins. Many of the libs who posted replies on the NPR site even support that move.

I'm going to tell them that if they continue to support left-wing NPR, they should support right-wingers like Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, and Mark Levin as well.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by KhalilSheikh
The irony...

Isn't this whole coin scheme supported by our tax dollars as well? I'm outraged, I tell ya.

A TRUE FTer would applaud any opportunity for free miles.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Smidget
So scary prospect....

I did my normal order on 07/13 and had an order # of 37888320, today I got my wife's Chase Sapphire in and did a new order... #37910578 a difference of 22,261 orders within 3 days. For reference my 10 day prior order (07/03) the order # was 37851496, a difference of 36,826.

Rate of orders per day on average:
07/13-07/16 7,420
07/03-07/13 3,682

So doubling orders because of the articles written?
(1) a unique order number is assigned to each mint order, regardless if it is for rolled coins, medals, or anything else the mint sells;
(2) the order number is assigned when you start the order process, and there is no way to tell (from the order numbers) the amount of orders that are actually completed.

Originally Posted by Goofy Foot
Very true -- especially the "All about looks and PR" part.

The "for profit" mint has made a boatload* of money on this deal according to a mint official.

The US Mint will not kill this deal over bad PR, because it is too lucrative.

I now believe that nothing will kill this - just restrict it to avoid bad press.
THIS. the mint makes an enormous "profit" by virtue of the seignorage, something i don't think any one of the news items - and i believe there have been at least 4 since program inception - has reported. and each change the mint has made to the program is entirely consistent with Goofy Foot's observation, designed to give the appearance of restricting or preventing orders, but not actually limiting our arbitrage in any serious way.

there are plenty of ways (and i certainly don't want to list them here - to give the wrong people any ideas) the mint could have killed this "loophole," yet they persist in keeping it open.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 1:37 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Sorry, you ain't gonna slight the rest of the presidents, GOFLYZONE. What kind of a person would seek to deny Teddy Roosevelt his own coin? Why, that's soooo unAmerican!

Originally Posted by GOFLYZONE
Old Jul 17, 2011, 1:44 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Dunno what scheme you are talking about. Coins save trees. Why would you support deforestation and global warming?

Why the coinfolk deserve a collective Nobel for environmental protection!

The irony...

Isn't this whole coin scheme supported by our tax dollars as well? I'm outraged, I tell ya.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by MojaveJack

A true FF would applaud any opportunity for free miles.
I'm with you on that.
Only the FF mile addiction that I have is strong enough to make me overlook that I'm getting miles thanks to taxpayer-sponsored welfare.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Sorry, you ain't gonna slight the rest of the presidents, GOFLYZONE. What kind of a person would seek to deny Teddy Roosevelt his own coin? Why, that's soooo unAmerican!
lol!

Here's a thought NPR missed:

So, um, why do FFer's even DO all this supposed unethical, abusing, hacking activity JUST to get miles anyway?

Oh I know! Because airlines (in part bailed out by government many times with that cost being passed to us) run a pretty huge markup scam by the way they charge for tickets and tack on fees so we need more miles to get to where we are going--be it for leisure, family or business travel (noting that with a small company or one's own business, this means you'd have to pay for it yourself either way)

So we use our CCs, which we legitimately applied for and were granted--and became darn good with our payment history and credit score to do so--and we used our brains in how we spend to obtain these miles when buying products and services provided in the public domain for all to utilize.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 2:21 pm

Coins

If any on can help me I would be most grateful.

I own a car wash and will be using these there and also to get miles/points has anyone successfully been allowed more that 1K in coins in 10 days?
You can PM me and it will go no where I keep my mouth shut!
Will the mint still take visa gift cards and witch one?
Dose the mint only allow you one transaction per 10 days on a card (or is it an address or a person?)
Do you have any other tips that would help me that you could share?
I just got a amex blue Cash preferred and I was thinking I could buy gift cards @ the grocery @ 6% back and spend them @ the mint. Any luck with that?

I Have 4 CC's that I could buy from the mint and I can also get more PO boxes
Thank you.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by crabbing
(1) a unique order number is assigned to each mint order, regardless if it is for rolled coins, medals, or anything else the mint sells;
(2) the order number is assigned when you start the order process, and there is no way to tell (from the order numbers) the amount of orders that are actually completed.
That might all be true, but still, the # of orders that have been placed has at least doubled and that cannot be argued.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 2:29 pm

I'm with you on that.
Only the FF mile addiction that I have is strong enough to make me overlook that I'm getting miles thanks to taxpayer-sponsored welfare.
WELFARE?

If [ cost of producing $1 coin ] + [ cost of shipping $1 coin ] + [ processing fees/coin (including CC charges) ] < $1/coin
then the mint makes a profit and THAT'S NOT WELFARE.

It may not be as much as they'd make if they charged shipping, but based upon the elasticity of demand, they'd likely be moving a much smaller volume if they tried to recoup shipping costs. You need to do an economic analysis to see it makes sense.

Last edited by MojaveJack; Jul 17, 2011 at 2:39 pm
Old Jul 17, 2011, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Smidget
That might all be true, but still, the # of orders that have been placed has at least doubled and that cannot be argued.
The number of orders at the mint may have doubled, but you cannot say what those orders were for. Orders for Dollar Direct could go down while total orders go up. When the mint releases a new issue (commemorative coin, proof or mint sets, first lady gold) there is always a surge of orders.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by MojaveJack
If [ cost of producing $1 coin ] + [ cost of shipping $1 coin ] + [ processing fees/coin (including CC charges) ] < $1/coin then the mint makes a profit
Only with government math. That's equivalent to saying if a company issues new shares the money raised in the new issuance is profit. (It's actually dilution)
Old Jul 17, 2011, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by jesseegnew
If any on can help me I would be most grateful.

I own a car wash and will be using these there and also to get miles/points has anyone successfully been allowed more that 1K in coins in 10 days?
You can PM me and it will go no where I keep my mouth shut!
Will the mint still take visa gift cards and witch one?
Dose the mint only allow you one transaction per 10 days on a card (or is it an address or a person?)
Do you have any other tips that would help me that you could share?
I just got a amex blue Cash preferred and I was thinking I could buy gift cards @ the grocery @ 6% back and spend them @ the mint. Any luck with that?

I Have 4 CC's that I could buy from the mint and I can also get more PO boxes
Thank you.
I figured I was going to PM you one or two tips when I would get a chance to answer my PMs but then you have PMd me again--and now have asked the thread so I guess you needed to know right now.

That said, I would suggest reading. Many here have been doing something with coins for at least 6 months and some like myself since right around when it started. We have had our trials and tribulations and ups and downs along the way, and thus we have put in our time as it were. This, plus constant sharing and relationship development has made many here more apt to share within like-minded people with the same amount of efforts put in that we then were able to redeem from it all.

I do now suggest that you begin reading from page #1 and you shall learn everything you need to know and more. Otherwise, we could just be feeding more information than necessary to another person who, for all we know, is lurking on behalf of NPR or other organizations who would somehow like to see this all end.

Sorry.

MM
Old Jul 17, 2011, 3:09 pm

Sorry I just figured you where too busy thanks for all the help on the other threads though.
Jesse

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.