Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Jul 15, 11, 9:48 am

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
Originally Posted by jamesteroh View Post
And did you read some of the comments? A couple people were complaining they went to the mints site and the coins were backordered So NPR does this story to tip off people on an easy way to earn miles by telling them about th emints program and giving them the link A lot of people must not pay attention though because I saw a few comments were people said that the mint charges $5 in shipping fees and that the $25 coin rolls are being sold for $40
GOOD!......just keep walkin folks...nothing here to see....
Old Jul 15, 11, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by mrx900 View Post
GOOD!......just keep walkin folks...nothing here to see....
Yeah lets just hope most of the people see the shipping charge and think the mint changed their policy At least NPR didn't say the shipping would be deducted when you placed the order I'm just glad NPR didn't provide a link to this thread.
Old Jul 15, 11, 10:42 am

Angry I resent being called a crook by NPR

My first thought was to make my regular contribution to NPR in coins. Then I had a better idea. Stop contributing to NPR.

I am a Recovering Liberal. So I don't mind the liberal bias of NPR too much. But being called a scumbag for doing something that is both legal and harmless gets my Irish up.

NPR depends on affluent contributers. The affluent fly. And collect freaky flier miles. I speculate that I am not the only affluent contributer to NPR that is putting his checkbook back in the drawer.
Old Jul 15, 11, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scubadiver View Post
My first thought was to make my regular contribution to NPR in coins. Then I had a better idea. Stop contributing to NPR.

I am a Recovering Liberal. So I don't mind the liberal bias of NPR too much. But being called a scumbag for doing something that is both legal and harmless gets my Irish up.

NPR depends on affluent contributers. The affluent fly. And collect freaky flier miles. I speculate that I am not the only affluent contributer to NPR that is putting his checkbook back in the drawer.
VERY smart move on your part. Unfortunately, you are still contributing to NPR indirectly anyway with your tax dollars
Old Jul 15, 11, 11:29 am

Programs: DL, AA, US, AC, Marriott Platinum, HHhonors Silver (Woo Hoo!)
Originally Posted by scubadiver View Post

Hear, hear!

I resent being called a hacker; thus being assigned a label that conjures up all the awful things the News of the World did to the family of that poor girl Milly Dowler and other unsuspecting victims.
Old Jul 15, 11, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
VERY smart move on your part. Unfortunately, you are still contributing to NPR indirectly anyway with your tax dollars
Then we must coin the irs next april

+2 on what scuba wrote

As said before i think its aweful reporting on npr's part to write their story based on the opinion that we are hackers and exploiters and abusers

They think there are right and wrong ways to get miles but since they think we got too many so we are thus deemed unethical
Old Jul 15, 11, 12:03 pm

Programs: AB Platinum (AB4EVA), IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott Silver
Finally, after 1.5 million views of this thread, this was picked up by German News Tagesschau

http://www.tagesschau.de/schlusslich...uenzen100.html

Edit: Apparently this is being discussed at length already, they just picked up the NPR report and I didn't really read the thread...

Last edited by raph; Jul 15, 11 at 12:38 pm
Old Jul 15, 11, 12:28 pm

Make money off $1 coins!

I've seen plenty of rolls of $1 coins on eBay for ~$30 with shipping. Thought I would check craigslist to see if people were selling them there. Came across this beauty: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...495499038.html

$100? Really?
Old Jul 15, 11, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
As said before i think its aweful reporting on npr's part to write their story based on the opinion that we are hackers and exploiters and abusers
l
We're not hackers, but let's not kid ourselves...the loop hole in the dollar coin program is being exploited.

If credit cards stopped giving points out for the coin purchases, would you really keep buying the coins?

How many of the coins are you really spending? The limit is $1000 every ten days. Are you really going through $100 coins/day? That's $3000/month.

It is what it is, let's not herald ourselves to be the great revolutionaries who are doing our part on getting rid of the one dollar bill.
Old Jul 15, 11, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by Jesperss View Post
We're not hackers, but let's not kid ourselves...the loop hole in the dollar coin program is being exploited....
This is not a "loophole" !!

Purchasing Mint products, including dollar coins, is a perfectly legitimate transaction. The US Mint accepts credit cards for a variety of products, including dollar coins and it's very annoying when people, including that jerk Forbes reporter, try to make it appear like a loophole, exploit or crime.
Old Jul 15, 11, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Then we must coin the irs next april

+2 on what scuba wrote

They think there are right and wrong ways to get miles but since they think we got too many so we are thus deemed unethical
You actually can if you have an IRS field office near you. I made a property tax payment on a rental property I have in another county last month and I will coin out treasurer on my properties where I live in two weeks. I would gladly pay my property taes via plastic but since the charge a fee, this is one way of using plastic and avoiding the fee.

While I have never tried coining the IRS with an estimate payment, I did pay a state tax estimate earlier this year. The lady was pretty nasty about it. Seeing our governor wants to close the local field offices of the state tax departments to help our budget, I would have thought she would have been glad I made a cash payment as opposed to paying online or mailing in a check. The more people that pay cash in person means the more likely the office will stay open.
Old Jul 15, 11, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We're not hackers, but let's not kid ourselves...the loop hole in the dollar coin program is being exploited.

If credit cards stopped giving points out for the coin purchases, would you really keep buying the coins?

How many of the coins are you really spending? The limit is $1000 every ten days. Are you really going through $100 coins/day? That's $3000/month.

It is what it is, let's not herald ourselves to be the great revolutionaries who are doing our part on getting rid of the one dollar bill.
To answer your question, yes I would quit buying the coins and I would also not want them returned in change on a cash transaction.

But because of this program, many of us, including myself are putting these into circulation. I had a property tax payment due 6/30 I paid in the coins that would have been paid via check normally. My property taxes on property in my home county are due 7/29 and will be paid via these coins.

There are several street fairs and festivals I go to throughout the year and I only use coins at those. I had a couple contractors do work on my condo that wouldn't take plastic and they got paid with the coins and in turn they paid their subs/helpers with those coins. I used them to tip the remote airport parking lot shuttle bus driver. I have a couple rolls of them in my backpack and when I get to vegas they will be used with a couple concession vendors that are cash only as well as for the buffet and hotel employee tips. I always have a couple rolls in my backpack for things like vending machines that accept them.

If the US Mint stops this program, I can see the circulation of these decline fast.
Old Jul 15, 11, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wish NPR would have included in their story how people are spending the coins. The reporter made it sound like we all order 10s of thousands of these coins a month and take them directly to the bank.

Since NPR has such a fascination with the dollar coin this month, they need to run a story on how we are spending these and some of the problems we run into with them such as some merchants not accepting or wanting them, or some people not even knowing what they are.
Old Jul 15, 11, 1:25 pm

I wish NPR would have included in their story how people are spending the coins. The reporter made it sound like we all order 10s of thousands of these coins a month and take them directly to the bank.

Since NPR has such a fascination with the dollar coin this month, they need to run a story on how we are spending these and some of the problems we run into with them such as some merchants not accepting or wanting them, or some people not even knowing what they are.
How many of them are you really spending? Yea, you go to the farmers market once a week and blow a roll or two. A couple times a week you might buy a soda through a vending machine. But are you truly going through 40 rolls every ten days?

If you were a merchant, would you want someone dumping several rolls of these on you? If you're a plumber and someone wanted to pay you in $500 in singles wouldn't that annoy you? What would you do with that $500? You'd go deposit it directly in the bank.

I also paid my property taxes with them, all $3,000 worth. The guy thought it was pretty funny...so did I. We both joked about it. But was I circulating them to the public? No. They're just going to end up depositing them in the bank at the end of the day. That's where the majority of the rolls end up going.

I'd be willing to bet than 95% of the coins ordered in this program go right back in the bank in their rolled form.
Old Jul 15, 11, 1:46 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
But was I circulating them to the public? No.
Yes they are bing circulated. any time any currency is used to pay a debt it is circulated. I would suspect if you paid a plumber 5 100 dollar bills they might also be taken right to the bank.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: