Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Jul 6, 11, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber
Originally Posted by MojaveJack View Post
....US citizens like paper dollars much more than dollar coins. They don't like the $2 note. So a $2 coin will likely have even more resistance than the $1 coin.
Sadly, I think it is inconvenient for US citizens to adopt a new system. I'm already paying extra helping yuppy slackers recycle.
Old Jul 6, 11, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by pierre mclopez View Post
Sadly, I think it is inconvenient for US citizens to adopt a new system. I'm already paying extra helping yuppy slackers recycle.
True, look at how well we took to the metric system.
Old Jul 6, 11, 10:00 pm

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, PriorityClub, HHonors
Originally Posted by jamesteroh View Post
^^^ EXACTLY what I was thinking when I read this post!

Was never a problem to me. But I studied science and engineering back in college so the metric system was something of a no brainer.

The brits successfully converted BOTH their measurements and monetary systems from archaic to metric, relatively recently. We were a leader in a metric monetary system but could never get our measurements there.

Pity.
Old Jul 7, 11, 3:27 am

Ordered some NAs on 07/03, still on hold, just wondering if the status of others' orders
Old Jul 7, 11, 6:37 am

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, Hilton D, Mariott/SPG Plat Elite, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Plat, Amex Plat
Credit union question and answer

Alright, I finally got around to asking a teller friend of mine at a CU exactly how they'd feel about a $1,000 dollar coin dump.

Joshua: Ok, serious question (asking on someone else's behalf). What is it like from your perspective if a member brings in $1,000 in dollar coins to deposit?
Joshua's CU teller friend: Annoying perhaps but if they are rolled and neatly arranged it is no big deal. Run them through the coin machine if you can, though.

That should settle it!
Old Jul 7, 11, 6:43 am

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, Hilton D, Mariott/SPG Plat Elite, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Plat, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MojaveJack View Post
Where do you get this???

If they make $200M in coins, they are not going to put them all thru the dollar direct program. Some will go to banks directly. Some will be sold as UNC rolls at $35.95/roll, some will go into proof sets or unc sets. Only those left over go into dollar direct so it will be no where near 200,00 in direct sales orders/year.

Do some research. Dollar coins cost significantly MORE to produce than paper dollars. Per:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_$1_Coin_Act_of_1997

a dollar coin costs TWICE what a dollar bill costs to produce. But the life expectancy is so much higher (30 years verses 18 months) that the cost/year is much lower.

US citizens like paper dollars much more than dollar coins. They don't like the $2 note. So a $2 coin will likely have even more resistance than the $1 coin.
I am just saying that with production figures of $200 million and with $1 billion in surplus already, the Direct Ship program is not going anywhere soon. The government benefits by getting those dollar coins out there and FTers benefit by buying them, doing the legwork to get them into circulation, and reaping the rewards.

I stand corrected on the point about the initial production cost ($0.08 per dollar coin and $0.04 per dollar bill).

I think US citizens may have a less strong preference than people think--people just don't use them because (a) they look like quarters (I can't use them to tip, for example, thanks to that), (b) many vending machines won't take them, and (c) since the government is broke anyway, they need to do whatever is cheaper.
Old Jul 7, 11, 6:44 am

We have even succeeded in convincing the rest of the world to measure flight loyalty programs in "miles". "Kms & More" doesn't quite have the same ring to it...
Old Jul 7, 11, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Smidget View Post
Ordered some NAs on 07/03, still on hold, just wondering if the status of others' orders

I have three orders from 7/3 that are still on hold. I placed an order on 6/30 (was backordered at the time with an expected ship date of 7/5) that just moved into process yesterday and I see the option to cancel is now gone on that order.
Old Jul 7, 11, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
The government benefits by getting those dollar coins out there and FTers benefit by buying them, doing the legwork to get them into circulation, and reaping the rewards.
You are right, this program benefits both parties. The FTers are getting a lot of very easy miles, and the government is benefiting from us using them and putting themin circulation.

I would lvoe to know what percent of these of the dollar coins being circulated right now are a result of this program. I use these for almost everything that I can't use a credit card for. My firm also uses these to give to clients to pay for their parking, and for a lot of employee reimbursements. If it wasn't for this program, our firm items would be paid in paper currency and the personal items I use them for would be paid in either paper currency or checks.
Old Jul 7, 11, 8:41 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by Smidget View Post
I placed two orders on Sunday as well, and both say the status is on hold.
Old Jul 7, 11, 9:46 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards
If the US Government did away with the dollar bill it would be the worst thing to happen since 9/11 for many people.

I'm NOT one of those "Americans are all ____" people but I do wonder about this nation's ability to adapt if a real crisis forced any sort of change. If Ecuador and El Salvador can adapt to using these coins as well as US currency then I don't see why most people the US can't at least accept them as change from a cashier.

Probably the best hope for getting these in wider circulation would be if there was some kind of protest movement attched to spending dollar coins. Although the Tea Party won't because many still think they don't say "In God We Trust" and Left can't agree on what their protesting.
Old Jul 7, 11, 9:53 am

I'm in

Just placed my first order for $1,000

We'll see how this goes. I missed my Continental Card mileage bonus for $25,000 in annual purchase by mere hundreds. I was so upset!! Definitely not going to happen again
Old Jul 7, 11, 10:21 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber
Originally Posted by ILovetheReds View Post
I placed two orders on Sunday as well, and both say the status is on hold.
I made two orders Sunday too. One is arriving today, one stayed on hold. Can't tell whether the second order ran amuk with the ten day rule or was just slow. I cancelled it anyway. Will try again after ten more days.

Any additional ideas on this?
Old Jul 7, 11, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I made two orders Sunday too. One is arriving today, one stayed on hold. Can't tell whether the second order ran amuk with the ten day rule or was just slow. I cancelled it anyway. Will try again after ten more days.

Any additional ideas on this?
I also placed three orders sunday and all three are on hold. They are all going to the same address (I tweeked them) and not sure if that has anything to do with it or the mint being slow. They were three different cards and all three authorized.
Old Jul 7, 11, 10:29 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
I also placed three orders sunday and all three are on hold. They are all going to the same address (I tweeked them) and not sure if that has anything to do with it or the mint being slow. They were three different cards and all three authorized.
My order on Friday 7/1/11 from just went to "in Process" in the last hour

Search this Thread
Search Engine: