Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Jul 4, 11, 12:18 am

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Originally Posted by MojaveJack View Post
Based upon your reports of quantity and frequency, that should be A LOT.
I have Red friends, Gold friends, Platinum friends, Bronze friends, and even friends that Surpass my wildest expectations.

My favorite friends I Honor the most. And even some friends are an AAdvantage to know.

Some are long time friends and some are recent acquaintances but none are silicone.
Old Jul 4, 11, 6:29 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mrpickles View Post
I have Red friends, Gold friends, Platinum friends, Bronze friends, and even friends that Surpass my wildest expectations.

My favorite friends I Honor the most. And even some friends are an AAdvantage to know.

Some are long time friends and some are recent acquaintances but none are silicone.
It's nice to have all the friends. Just a few days ago my Vanilla friends and I have parted our ways. They've decided to move on. I also Honor a Diamond relationship for quite a while and the Advantage of another friend has been Golden, seems like a lifetime. My Gold friends want to Deposit themselves, they feel more at home around financial institutions. I've made many of these friends and hope to make many many more. It's fun to try different relationships, you never know what works out until you take the first step. Some don't work out, most do. I'm always looking for more opportunities to meet others. Feel free to PM me with friendship ideas.
Old Jul 4, 11, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by mikeef View Post
Sorry, the FRB. But I think you knew what I meant.
No, I don't. The FRB doesn't sell coins. They are the ones that get stuck with them after we spend/deposit our orders from the mint. The fact that they have >$1 billion dollars worth of these sitting in a vault only provides pressure for the mint to discontinue producing (and selling) these.
Old Jul 4, 11, 11:27 am

TJ sold out ...If these sell out at this frequency then what are people going to do with all their friends
Old Jul 4, 11, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by thesauce View Post
No, I don't. The FRB doesn't sell coins. They are the ones that get stuck with them after we spend/deposit our orders from the mint. The fact that they have >$1 billion dollars worth of these sitting in a vault only provides pressure for the mint to discontinue producing (and selling) these.
The Fed has no leverage over congress. The mandate is to mint coins of each U.S. President and it is not expected to finish with Reagan. It seems there will be plenty of opportunities to buy coins until this happens.
Old Jul 4, 11, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by thetravelabstract View Post
The Fed has no leverage over congress. The mandate is to mint coins of each U.S. President and it is not expected to finish with Reagan. It seems there will be plenty of opportunities to buy coins until this happens.
What? Did you miss the entire housing crisis? How many times have we seen Greenspan or Bernanke testify before congress? Didn't congress pass a law or two based on this? You say no? Interesting.

Through mass media which attacks the program - yes, the fed most certainly does have leverage over congress.

You're not supporting mikeef, either, as he suggested the FRB is going to sell their coins through a/the direct ship program. Not likely.
Old Jul 4, 11, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold
TSP rescreened my backpack with full dollar rolls

Anyone else have their bag rescreeen by TSA with full rolls of dollar coins?

If I have a partial roll of the coins, I always take them out and put them in the tray, as I did this morning, and leave the full rolls in the backpack.

Never had a problem in the past. This morning at LAX T5, was asked if I had any rolls of coins in my bag and I had 2 full rolls of dollars. She asked me to gather my other items and meet her at the one table at the end. She asked me to point to the com[portent that had the coins without touching the bag and I did. She asked me to verify I had 2 rolls and took them out and said she had to rescreen the bag without the coins. She put the backpack in a tray (which I always put it on the belt directly) and the coins in their own tray and screened them both.

I am hoping this was just a strict screener and wont be a regular thing with TSA. I was questioned about the coins one time in the past, but I had a partial roll in and they just took the coins out and didn't bother rerunning the bag (this was a few years ago).
Old Jul 4, 11, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold
TSP rescreened my backpack with full dollar rolls

Deleted

Last edited by jamesteroh; Jul 4, 11 at 12:20 pm Reason: moderator-please delete posted twice in error
Old Jul 4, 11, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA Plat,PC Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by elkhornne View Post
It's nice to have all the friends. Just a few days ago my Vanilla friends and I have parted our ways. They've decided to move on. I also Honor a Diamond relationship for quite a while and the Advantage of another friend has been Golden, seems like a lifetime. My Gold friends want to Deposit themselves, they feel more at home around financial institutions. I've made many of these friends and hope to make many many more. It's fun to try different relationships, you never know what works out until you take the first step. Some don't work out, most do. I'm always looking for more opportunities to meet others. Feel free to PM me with friendship ideas.

Why have you parted ways with your Vanilla friends? They need to be understood. They keep start trusting the friendship only a few days after you activate your friendship.
Old Jul 4, 11, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, PC Platinum
Originally Posted by jamesteroh View Post
Anyone else have their bag rescreeen by TSA with full rolls of dollar coins?

If I have a partial roll of the coins, I always take them out and put them in the tray, as I did this morning, and leave the full rolls in the backpack.

Never had a problem in the past. This morning at LAX T5, was asked if I had any rolls of coins in my bag and I had 2 full rolls of dollars. She asked me to gather my other items and meet her at the one table at the end. She asked me to point to the com[portent that had the coins without touching the bag and I did. She asked me to verify I had 2 rolls and took them out and said she had to rescreen the bag without the coins. She put the backpack in a tray (which I always put it on the belt directly) and the coins in their own tray and screened them both.

I am hoping this was just a strict screener and wont be a regular thing with TSA. I was questioned about the coins one time in the past, but I had a partial roll in and they just took the coins out and didn't bother rerunning the bag (this was a few years ago).

This happened to me once about 2 months ago when I had 2.5 rolls in my backpack. However other times I had no problem through at the same checkpoint/airport. probably just TSA agent dependent...
Old Jul 4, 11, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA UA CO USair
Smile

Great post from Marathon man about the reporter piece

"Seems Caitlin is right. I WILL have to find other gigs... and guess what: When I do, I aint tellin a soul!"

Got one

Last edited by AAsuited; Jul 4, 11 at 1:48 pm Reason: mistake
Old Jul 4, 11, 7:49 pm

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, PriorityClub, HHonors
The mandate is to mint coins of each U.S. President and it is not expected to finish with Reagan.
With the current schedule, it should end with Reagan in 2016, unless some of the other former presidents pass away before then. Carter and H. W. Bush are highly probable (both born in 1924) and if they BOTH die before 2016, that would push the program into 2017. The chances of Clinton, W. Bush, Obama, and another yet to be elected president all dying before 2017 seems very unlikely so most likely the program will end in 2016 or 2017.

It seems there will be plenty of opportunities to buy coins until this happens.
You can buy several of the issued presidents now @ $35.95/roll. If you want them at face, you have to rely on what the mint has made and cannot dispose of.

Many of the presidents were never available under the direct ship program. Others, like Buchanan, were available for such a short time that you could only order them once under the 10 day limit before they were sold out. Lincolns were only available for about a month. Washington, Adams, Jefferson, and Madison lasted for so long because many more were made of the early issues. The mint has throttled back on the quantities so it's possible once the Madisons are sold out we may not see any more available via Direct Ship.

With this in mind, I don't believe there will be "plenty of opportunities" any longer and suspect the end may be much sooner than you think.
Old Jul 4, 11, 8:22 pm

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, PriorityClub, HHonors
You're not supporting mikeef, either, as he suggested the FRB is going to sell their coins through a/the direct ship program. Not likely.
That would be the ULTIMATE churn:

CoinChurn(CC)
while ( CC == TRUE )
{
---Order coins from FRB;
---Receive coins;
---Take coins to local bank and deposit;
---Bank sends coins to FRB;
}

If it came to that, I'd mark the wrappers to see how many if any rolls I got again!

Last edited by MojaveJack; Jul 4, 11 at 8:41 pm
Old Jul 4, 11, 9:24 pm

What? Did you miss the entire housing crisis? How many times have we seen Greenspan or Bernanke testify before congress? Didn't congress pass a law or two based on this? You say no? Interesting.

Through mass media which attacks the program - yes, the fed most certainly does have leverage over congress.
That was a bit aggressive.

The Federal Reserve is subject to Congressional oversight. Not the other way around. That is why we see the FRB President testify before congress and not congress testify before them. I do not know what laws you are referencing; FRB President testifying before congress?
Also the Fed president has to be appointed by congress.

mass media? attacks the FRB or the coin program?

I think we should focus on the thread's topic.

@ MojaveJack meant to say that it IS expected to end with Reagan.
Old Jul 5, 11, 12:04 am

Programs: OnePass, MilesPlus, AAdvantage, SkyMiles (unfortunately), PC Plat, HH Silver, Marriott Aluminium
So I went to the DQ tonight to get me a blizzard and handed the girl 4 $1 coins. After studying them for several seconds she asks me "what are these?" She needed to call another girl over to confer and they finally just took my word for it that they are actual currency and then took a few moments to figure out where to put them.
Anecdotal I know but this episode is definitely not unusual in my attempts to use these things. After spending millions of dollars making and trying to push these things into the system, I just don't see any signs they are taking.
But fortunately for us miles-seekers, cutting wasteful spending isn't a priority for the powers that be. Just raise the debt ceiling yet again and continue with biz as usual: "Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!"

Search this Thread
Search Engine: