Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2009, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Wow! Fastest (and largest) shipment ever.

So, my order of 18 boxes of native coins arrived before my previously order for 2! And I only placed the order late last week.

$4500 delivered to my office -- the mail guy almost freaked out due to the weight of them. He assumed I ordered some machine parts or something.

At any rate, the mail room was kind enough to let me use their cart as I dropped the coins off to the bank. I admit at this point I did kind of feel self conscious as I walked into the bank using a mail cart, with $4500 worth of coins.

But, the teller was very nice. Even told me not to bother opening the individual boxes, since they were sealed from the mint.

I used a brand new AAdvantage card for this one that was on a retention offer for 1 additional bonus mile per dollar spent. So, I should net 34,000 miles from this (4,500 miles for base spending + 4,500 miles retention bonus + 25,000 miles sign on bonus).

...and to continue the point I was making earlier in this thread, this whole process didn't take more than 10 minutes (from borrowing the mail room cart to finally returning it after making the deposit).
Old Feb 19, 2009, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
I could use either a P.O. Box or a business address, with the business being closed on Saturdays. Suggestions on which address would be better? I'd not want these left at my business on a Saturday, only to walk away.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by dingo
I'd not want these left at my business on a Saturday, only to walk away.
As far as I know, there's no UPS (Ground) deliveries on Saturdays. Not sure if Next Day Air would be of exception.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 12:08 am

Next day car can deliver on Saturday but it is an extra fee. I think you wont have a problem. I am thinking about having the coins delivered to my bank directly

Originally Posted by lin821
As far as I know, there's no UPS (Ground) deliveries on Saturdays. Not sure if Next Day Air would be of exception.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 12:44 am

Programs: AA UA Delta. HH Diamond, PC Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Did they post the charge very fast? As soon as they ship? Thank you!
Old Feb 20, 2009, 6:37 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Originally Posted by lin821
That fast?

Was your order $250 or 20 boxes? When did you place the order? I believe these are two things to be factored in.

My 1st order of $500 in late January took 8 business days from order to door. The Mint CSR told me a couple of things when I called in to track the status:

1. Any order over $300 will be shipped UPS next day air.
2. Orders larger than $300 need to go through two extra steps (or more) to verify the info (names, CC, mailing addresses, ..etc). That's why it usually takes 1-2 weeks to "process" an order.
3. The "internal" order status will changed to "picked" when the verification is completed and the coins are actually picked to fulfill your orders.
4. Once the order is picked, it will be shipped in the next couple of days.

In my $500 example, my order was picked on a Friday; the Mint shipping notice/email sent on the following Tuesday. UPS received the package on Wed then delivered on Thursday morning.

I am now waiting for two more orders to be processed.
$500 in two boxes, ordered on a Friday, delivered on a Tuesday. I received a single email providing me with the tracking number, which from experience I used on UPS, which told me they were already delivered.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 7:23 am

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
ordered $750 more last night,
to fulfill initial spend of AS credit card and get 25K miles.

Picked one box each of the three 2007 issues
shown as in stock.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 8:02 am

don't forget that the goal is to get the coins into circulation. coins last longer than bills, and in the long run are cheaper to produce. lots of people like to collect new coins (there were serious shortages of state quarters because of so much hoarding), which results in some profit to the mint.

and for mileage junkies like us, this gets coins to banks quickly. banks are the main place people get currency (and they don't send them back to the mint).

now if only there were a carbon-neutral way of distributing the coins...
Old Feb 20, 2009, 8:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by milemission
Did they post the charge very fast? As soon as they ship? Thank you!
You are charged at the time of shipping.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 9:21 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
The Mints order tracking site is currently down as it is "temporarily unavailable". Anyone else getting this message?
Old Feb 20, 2009, 9:49 am

Programs: SPG Plat
I finally received my first shipment of $500 worth of NA's after placing the order on 1/18/09. I called a couple of times to get them off hold, but it worked out in the end.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AAerSTL
The Mints order tracking site is currently down as it is "temporarily unavailable". Anyone else getting this message?
It has been down for 2 weeks already if not more. Now even the phone message is down.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 1:01 pm
In memoriam

The Mint's automated order inquiry line is now working. I just checked my order for $5K of Indian dollars placed Feb 13 and was told by the computer that my order is in processing, processing typically takes 24 hours, and it may take 4-6 weeks for delivery.

Here's hopin'!
Old Feb 20, 2009, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by biggestbopper
The Mint's automated order inquiry line is now working. I just checked my order for $5K of Indian dollars placed Feb 13 and was told by the computer that my order is in processing, processing typically takes 24 hours, and it may take 4-6 weeks for delivery.

Here's hopin'!
I believe it is just a canned answer. My tiny $250 order was in process few days ago before the phone went down, and now is still in process.

EDIT:

Decided to talk to a human being, so after waiting 20 min, a nice woman checked the status - it was sent to warehouse late 2/16, or more like 2/17 so she said, ready to be shipped... All I needed to hear, that there was no line cancelled...

Last edited by Happy; Feb 20, 2009 at 4:16 pm
Old Feb 20, 2009, 6:06 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
OK, reminder time again. This is about earning miles. The Mint's motivation, and how the public and banking community views the coinage is an interesting topic, but belongs in Flyertalk's OMNI / PR board. My suggestion is for someone to initiate a side discussion there, and post a link in this thread for readers to participate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.