Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Jun 30, 11, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by MojaveJack View Post
You obviously haven't read the 1K+ pages of this thread as others have suggested!

The coins are M A D E by THE UNITED STATES MINT. ^
The coins are STORED by the FEDERAL RESERVE BANK.

THEY ARE NOT THE SAME.

Many early issues were made in large quantities but recently have "sold out" from the mint.
Most recent issues have NEVER been available via Dollar Direct since the Mint has throttled back on the amount produced so they did not have the overwhelming surplus to dispose of. Others, like Buchanan, only had a small overage and sold out very quickly. Lincoln sold out in less than 2 months.

So they don't need to end the presidential dollar program for the Dollar Direct program to end. If they continue to make smaller quantities as they have been doing, there won't be a surplus to dispose of and there won't be any dollar direct coins.

BUt if they do that, the coins would never bei n circulation except for the people that get change from subway or other vending machines.

Most people doing this program do deposit some of them. However, most of us also circulate them as much as possible. If it's a place that doesn't accept credit careds or charges a surcharge, I pay in coins. I have a couple rentals with property taxes due today, on Tuesday those got paid in dollar coins. Went to a street festival last weekend where only cash was accepted at various places, everything go paid in coins and some vendors wanted to buy a roll off of me. A bar I went to cash only-again got paid in coins. Have had work done by contractors that wanted paid in cashs and again coins got used. If it wasns't for this program, the vendors would have been paid in paper currency and I can assure you that if this program is eliminated, and a vendor gives me change in dollar coins I am going to ask for paper money instead.
Old Jun 30, 11, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
the coin story? oh gawddddddddd!

Well people, I'd say order up now and order big cuz this gig is gonna die!!

NPR is doing a follow up on coins and they had contacted me to try to inclulde me on a story about what we do here at FT.

I invite you to read this email correspondence below (in reverse history) and then my further notes on today's call with the reporter asking her to kindly refrain from doing what she is about to do:

RE: presidential dollar coin

Caitlin Kenney

TO:
[ME]

Thursday, June 30, 2011 9:56 AM

[ME],

We are doing a story on what you call the “coins gig.” If you want to be a part of it, we would be happy to talk to you.

- Caitlin

* | Caitlin Kenney | Planet Money| [email protected] | 212-880-3439

Sent: Monday, June 20, 2011 8:20 PM
To: Caitlin Kenney
Cc: [ME]
Subject: Re: presidential dollar coin

Hi

While I appreciate your thinking of me I would respectively ask that you do NOT do a story on the coins gig. This will only over expose it and possibly ruin it. Hard to understand that but basically the idea is that most of us will share with anyone who shows a vested interest in travel and deals and can contribute to same on the forums. But to broadcast it to the rest of the world is only going to bring unwelcomed pains to this gig.

Do not let anyone talk about it on the air. Let them find it and go from there. When WSJ published something on it a while back it changed the program. Now your show would do the same. It will be over in no time

Cheers!

MM

From: "mangotea22 @ FlyerTalk Forums" <[email protected]>
To: [MM's email]@yahoo.com
Sent: Monday, June 20, 2011 12:49 PM
Subject: presidential dollar coin

This is a message from mangotea22 at FlyerTalk Forums ( http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php ). The FlyerTalk Forums owners cannot accept any responsibility for the contents of the email.

To email mangotea22, you can use this online form:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sendm...ember&u=404767

OR, by email:
mailto:[email protected]

This is the message:

Hello,

I work for NPR, and we are doing a story about presidential dollar coins. We are hoping to talk to someone who has bought coins and used them to earn frequent flyer miles or bonus points on their credit card.

From what you've written on the forum, it sounds like you would be a good person to talk to. Would you be willing to do a short phone interview with us?

Please feel free to email me directly [email protected].

Thanks,
Caitlin

Ms. Caitlin sounded nice, giddy and friendly at the beginning of the phone call I just had with her, but I could hear her tone change increasingly as we went on. She was more adamant and determined to show me a thing or two or something like that when we ended. I said I can appreciate the news and its need to cover all angles of an interesting story but if she runs this one it is GOING to kill the deal. Why, I asked her, would you want to kill off a deal that serves so many people?

I do hope I am wrong about that and this is all still good to go (ordering, free shipping, miles/points on CCs, banks accepting boxes) long after this day goes by. But I somehow doubt it. In fact she may even get off on what she's knowingly doing here.

She responded saying that when it got published in the WSJ, the deal did not die. I said that after that time, the 10 day rule was invented so it did have a serious impact. Having said she's read this coin thread, she knew about other avenues we have taken to get where we are. I said that once things like GCs were utilized and discussed too openly, they too got off'd by the mint because, well, it got too public.

I tried to explain that the ways and means of a site such as FT are that (most) people who have interest in what we do come here to read and possibly share ideas...That the theory is that if my idea makes you get something you like, you would share an idea that gets me something I like and so on.

But by putting it out on the radio/media, we now invite people that have no input to offer, and may even cast a negative light on all of this claiming we are fraudsters or scammers, and of course the banks will really take notice now that they all know what's going on once they listen. (Why renew THIS kind of interest by running this and invite banks to take further notice?)

As well, people who offer nothing to this or any other FT thread and are just spoon fed data from all of the hard work we have put in to get things to happen will never share a thing and the deal will collapse due to this problem.

Firstly, many listeners who have NO concept of miles or what we do will immediately think of us as gaming a system or being illegal. because they are not part of FT, they will not understand it.

Next, people who do not wish to offer help and only to reap or possibly commit fraud will come in here and crowd it even further than it is now.

This deal will die because people wont know how to handle what they heard and may just jump in the deep end without knowing how to swim.

Well, she actually told me, "ah well you will find other deals!"

I said, "Well, that's like me saying I am going to go into your closet, steal all your dresses and just smile and tell you you still have one or two left so no big deal!"

There was a pause after that.

But she is a reporter, and she probably has to do what she has to do (I might add I have a family member who is one too and he has a bit more ethical reporting savvy than this chic!)

We ended the call with me saying something along the lines of, 'You will go and make YOUR money as a reporter while ruining the miles-gain that I and others receive from our Ft community and its ideas and I hope you feel good about that.'

She also had already confirmed that since I have no interest in being a part of her story, she cannot use anything I say in her piece.

Now, some could argue that anyone (like me) who has a lot of posts in here is part of the problem, but I do not think that's it at all here.

Firstly, in this case, NPR IS doing a story about the coin itself and so she told me this was just part of that bigger story and part of followup.

But also, in cases such as these, I think reporters are looking for the big game stories with strange twists--like, so what is the public DOING with these new coins to find a use for them?

Either way, it's a darn shame:
People like Caitlin didn't put in the time... The months, days and hours into toiling with credit cards, FRs, banks, deposit issues, missing or damaged boxes, gc issues, payment and credit report/score issues, driving around with coins in the trunk issues, UPS issues, long hold times with customer service, and more over the past several years. No, people like her just troll the site for things they can use to make a name for themselves. I always liked NPR but now they may find they have one less listener because of this.

People who HAVE talked to her--and she said there were a few--will gain a moment of NPR radio and internet fame, but they will also have just potentially shut the very thing they enjoy and the very thing that got them there.

thanks.
thanks a lot.

Seems Caitlin is right. I WILL have to find other gigs... and guess what: When I do, I aint tellin a soul!

MM
Old Jun 30, 11, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by thesauce View Post
What does the mint have to with this?
Sorry, the FRB. But I think you knew what I meant.

And I intend to see if they'll accept a credit card for the $700m.

Mike
Old Jun 30, 11, 10:21 am

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, PriorityClub, HHonors
Originally Posted by thesauce View Post
What does the mint have to with this?
^^^^^

Seems like no mater how many times we post

THE MINT IS NOT THE FEDERAL RESERVE BANK

folk keep confusing them.

I can understand a newbie not wanting to read the thread. But some of these guys have been here 10 years with Ks of posts and still don't get it.
Old Jun 30, 11, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I also got the email from her and didn't respond.

GREAT response to Caitlain btw.

Thanks to this program I am helping to put coins into circulation I wouldn't have before. In addition to personal expenses, I also use them for business reimbursements. We have a parking lot our clients/visitors use with a new operator/manager who requires cash payments when leaving instead of accepoting validations and billing monthly like the prior operator. We give the clients dollar coins to give the attendant (I am sure some clients out paper currency and keep the coins). If it's an employee who has to use the turnpike, we give them dollar coins to use if they don't have an IPASS in their car and if they do we give them the dollar coins for reimbursement of fares. We have a coffe house near our buildsing and a lot of times will buy drinks for clients that want something other than regular coffee and we use the coins.

If this program stops, ALL my spending that was done with coins will convert back to paper currency, as I am sure it will for most of the people on this thread.

One good thing is I think NPR has a pretty small audience compared to WSJ and US Today.
Old Jun 30, 11, 10:25 am

Are You Missing Your Packing Slip?

Got an order today. To my surprise, the packing slip was for $3K!
Then I checked the address and it's for some dude in GA!

Digging down I found MY packing slip and the correct number of coins for MY ORDER.

So if you live in Georgia, ordered $3000 in 2011 Native Americans, and don't have your packing slip, it's here.

Last edited by MojaveJack; Jun 30, 11 at 2:40 pm
Old Jun 30, 11, 10:50 am

Some people sure love being in the limelight....

If I had received an e-mail from a reporter, I would have quickly hit the delete button and not entertained the idea of e-mailing her back and certainly not CALLING her.

Even if I didn't give permission for my information to be used, I know that whatever I did provide would just fuel the fire to seek out more information.

And I certainly think that an "outsider" wouldn't give a damn about whether or not the golden goose survives.
Old Jun 30, 11, 10:53 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
going to place another order today....the NAs don't show a ship date but when i add to cart it says backordered....should i take my chances with that or go with one of the ones that have an expected ship date of 7/5?
Old Jun 30, 11, 11:49 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; Marriott LTT; National Car Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ianturner View Post
going to place another order today....the NAs don't show a ship date but when i add to cart it says backordered....should i take my chances with that or go with one of the ones that have an expected ship date of 7/5?
Go with the NAs. I ordered some on 6/27, got them today.
Old Jun 30, 11, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA Advantage Platinum, United 1K, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Well people, I'd say order up now and order big cuz this gig is gonna die!!

NPR is doing a follow up on coins and they had contacted me to try to inclulde me on a story about what we do here at FT.

I invite you to read this email correspondence below (in reverse history) and then my further notes on today's call with the reporter asking her to kindly refrain from doing what she is about to do:

RE: presidential dollar coin

Caitlin Kenney

TO:
[ME]

Thursday, June 30, 2011 9:56 AM

[ME],

We are doing a story on what you call the “coins gig.” If you want to be a part of it, we would be happy to talk to you.

- Caitlin

* | Caitlin Kenney | Planet Money| [email protected] | 212-880-3439

Sent: Monday, June 20, 2011 8:20 PM
To: Caitlin Kenney
Cc: [ME]
Subject: Re: presidential dollar coin

Hi

While I appreciate your thinking of me I would respectively ask that you do NOT do a story on the coins gig. This will only over expose it and possibly ruin it. Hard to understand that but basically the idea is that most of us will share with anyone who shows a vested interest in travel and deals and can contribute to same on the forums. But to broadcast it to the rest of the world is only going to bring unwelcomed pains to this gig.

Do not let anyone talk about it on the air. Let them find it and go from there. When WSJ published something on it a while back it changed the program. Now your show would do the same. It will be over in no time

Cheers!

MM

From: "mangotea22 @ FlyerTalk Forums" <[email protected]>
To: [MM's email]@yahoo.com
Sent: Monday, June 20, 2011 12:49 PM
Subject: presidential dollar coin

This is a message from mangotea22 at FlyerTalk Forums ( http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php ). The FlyerTalk Forums owners cannot accept any responsibility for the contents of the email.

To email mangotea22, you can use this online form:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sendm...ember&u=404767

OR, by email:
mailto:[email protected]

This is the message:

Hello,

I work for NPR, and we are doing a story about presidential dollar coins. We are hoping to talk to someone who has bought coins and used them to earn frequent flyer miles or bonus points on their credit card.

From what you've written on the forum, it sounds like you would be a good person to talk to. Would you be willing to do a short phone interview with us?

Please feel free to email me directly [email protected].

Thanks,
Caitlin

Ms. Caitlin sounded nice, giddy and friendly at the beginning of the phone call I just had with her, but I could hear her tone change increasingly as we went on. She was more adamant and determined to show me a thing or two or something like that when we ended. I said I can appreciate the news and its need to cover all angles of an interesting story but if she runs this one it is GOING to kill the deal. Why, I asked her, would you want to kill off a deal that serves so many people?

I do hope I am wrong about that and this is all still good to go (ordering, free shipping, miles/points on CCs, banks accepting boxes) long after this day goes by. But I somehow doubt it. In fact she may even get off on what she's knowingly doing here.

She responded saying that when it got published in the WSJ, the deal did not die. I said that after that time, the 10 day rule was invented so it did have a serious impact. Having said she's read this coin thread, she knew about other avenues we have taken to get where we are. I said that once things like GCs were utilized and discussed too openly, they too got off'd by the mint because, well, it got too public.

I tried to explain that the ways and means of a site such as FT are that (most) people who have interest in what we do come here to read and possibly share ideas...That the theory is that if my idea makes you get something you like, you would share an idea that gets me something I like and so on.

But by putting it out on the radio/media, we now invite people that have no input to offer, and may even cast a negative light on all of this claiming we are fraudsters or scammers, and of course the banks will really take notice now that they all know what's going on once they listen. (Why renew THIS kind of interest by running this and invite banks to take further notice?)

As well, people who offer nothing to this or any other FT thread and are just spoon fed data from all of the hard work we have put in to get things to happen will never share a thing and the deal will collapse due to this problem.

Firstly, many listeners who have NO concept of miles or what we do will immediately think of us as gaming a system or being illegal. because they are not part of FT, they will not understand it.

Next, people who do not wish to offer help and only to reap or possibly commit fraud will come in here and crowd it even further than it is now.

This deal will die because people wont know how to handle what they heard and may just jump in the deep end without knowing how to swim.

Well, she actually told me, "ah well you will find other deals!"

I said, "Well, that's like me saying I am going to go into your closet, steal all your dresses and just smile and tell you you still have one or two left so no big deal!"

There was a pause after that.

But she is a reporter, and she probably has to do what she has to do (I might add I have a family member who is one too and he has a bit more ethical reporting savvy than this chic!)

We ended the call with me saying something along the lines of, 'You will go and make YOUR money as a reporter while ruining the miles-gain that I and others receive from our Ft community and its ideas and I hope you feel good about that.'

She also had already confirmed that since I have no interest in being a part of her story, she cannot use anything I say in her piece.

Now, some could argue that anyone (like me) who has a lot of posts in here is part of the problem, but I do not think that's it at all here.

Firstly, in this case, NPR IS doing a story about the coin itself and so she told me this was just part of that bigger story and part of followup.

But also, in cases such as these, I think reporters are looking for the big game stories with strange twists--like, so what is the public DOING with these new coins to find a use for them?

Either way, it's a darn shame:
People like Caitlin didn't put in the time... The months, days and hours into toiling with credit cards, FRs, banks, deposit issues, missing or damaged boxes, gc issues, payment and credit report/score issues, driving around with coins in the trunk issues, UPS issues, long hold times with customer service, and more over the past several years. No, people like her just troll the site for things they can use to make a name for themselves. I always liked NPR but now they may find they have one less listener because of this.

People who HAVE talked to her--and she said there were a few--will gain a moment of NPR radio and internet fame, but they will also have just potentially shut the very thing they enjoy and the very thing that got them there.

thanks.
thanks a lot.

Seems Caitlin is right. I WILL have to find other gigs... and guess what: When I do, I aint tellin a soul!

MM
You responded to the email saying that you did not want to participate and talked to her on the phone. That's just PRICELESS!

The old adage still applies! Diarrhea of the mouth and Constipation of the Brain.

Cheers!
Old Jun 30, 11, 12:22 pm

Programs: Plenty of Them
Man, the Caitlin chick from NPR seems like she sucks. It's like in grade school when you're having a blast with your friends playing kickball and then that one kid that wasn't invited to play comes over, asks to play, and then kicks the ball over the fence. It's also kind of like the young chick in that movie "Up in the Air" screwing up Clooney's gig. Seriously not cool. It will come back to bite her some day. Karma is a biotch!

Anyways, I digress. In spite of NPR's uncoolness here I did want to post about a little Coins ordering experience I had. Back around the 21st or so I placed 5 orders for $1K each all around the same time (within an hour of each other). Yesterday I received 4 boxes. W T F... right? I pulled up the tracking numbers from the confirmation e-mails and it turns out one of them was delivered a day earlier (and no one was home) and was subsequently being held at the UPS pick-up station. No sweat for me to drive over there and pick up, but WTH guys?!? I got worked up for a second thinking that UPS lost $1K of my money, but then I checked the tracking info.

All is now good in my world and I will be dropping off the 100lbs at my local bank branch shortly. And don't listen to NPR. Listen to the Adam Carolla show or something. Peace.
Old Jun 30, 11, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, UA 1P
Has anyone else been experiencing this? Lately, the Mint is shorting my orders. A few orders ago it was $500, and this time around, it's $1000 short! Although they refunded me the $500 after I submitted proof that they sent me the wrong amount, I just saw a charge of $500 from the mint that I never placed! I'm thinking that they changed their mind or something??

It's almost more trouble than the points/miles are worth to keep on filling out these forms, being on the phone with CSR's and having the uneasiness of not knowing what's going on. UPS is being stupid lately too, but that's a different story altogether. Any feedback on people getting less coins than they ordered/paid for?
Old Jun 30, 11, 12:43 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
If plant money on NPR was to run a story on the use of coins to get FF miles I would think that 99% of the listners would think its crazy and maybe 10% would try it once then discover it actually is a PITA for them and not worth the points, just like most think this whole points game is not worth the effort. So it should leave it for the rest of us to keep using.
Old Jun 30, 11, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by particlemn View Post
If plant money on NPR was to run a story on the use of coins to get FF miles I would think that 99% of the listners would think its crazy and maybe 10% would try it once then discover it actually is a PITA for them and not worth the points, just like most think this whole points game is not worth the effort. So it should leave it for the rest of us to keep using.
I agree. There have been articles in the WSJ and USToday. I don't think NPR would attract many more potential people to ordering coins than those two sources. A lot of frequnet flyers read the WSJ and USAToday. I don't know that many that listen to NPR.
Old Jun 30, 11, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh View Post
BUt if they do that, the coins would never bei n circulation except for the people that get change from subway or other vending machines.

Not gonna really make a difference. The general population doesn't like them compared to dollar bills and over time they'll accumulate at a bank and end up at the Fed. They have to get BPE to stop printing dollars and the public will have to accept the coins as paper dollars are withdrawn from circulation.

Originally Posted by jamesteroh View Post
Most people doing this program do deposit some of them. However, most of us also circulate them as much as possible.
Like the people bragging about rolling into banks with skids of $10K+?
I've read most of the posts of how folk use them and am well aware.
Use them all the time when buying gas for cash. '

Search this Thread
Search Engine: