Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Jun 27, 11, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
lol don't apologize...

My post would have gone on longer to eventually explain how I did in fact find the right people even beyond where you may have gone, and that I did end up with both the miles as well as my money back. And that a few people at the banks lost their jobs due to being inept and they were replaced with more competent personnel who could more clearly set forth terms, conditions and materials for customers. Finally, the novel would have discussed how some faction of management or marketing also gave me some 10-20,000 miles for my troubles.

Now, where were we?.. Oh yes, the mint.

All the banks take my coins - if they have never seen me before

Originally Posted by PatMike View Post
YES they charged a 3% FEE !
I know it seems ridiculous.

OK - Sorry to complicate the Mint thread with non-Mint info. My only point in my original post was that I was ahead in the points/miles game because of an extra shipment of coins....

You used to be able to get miles by opening Citibank accounts with a mileage credit card. Citi would process it as a purchase. Bada-bing - you have miles! For this AA Citibank account, my branch would not take a credit card (Citi or Chase) for funding, so I (not so) cleverly used my Chase United debit card for the $25,000 funding deposit. The Chase debit card earns United miles if the transaction is processed as a non-Pin transaction. I make a lot of tax payments (and get United miles) with it since there is a very minimal fee for paying Fed taxes (and some property taxes) with a debit card. Chase is eliminating mileage earning for debit cards July 12. I digress.

I made the $25,000 deposit into my NEW Citi account with my Chase United Debit card, and yes, I did have $25,000 in my Chase account. I was hoping to get 25K United miles.

When the $750 charge showed up the following day, I was livid!

So basically, I used MY OWN money, and they charged me $750, because of the unknown to me 3% fee clause.

Trust me, I went all the way up the food chain to dispute it, to no avail.

P.S. I didn't even get the 25,000 United miles !

Sorry to sound like a Marathon Man post...
Old Jun 27, 11, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy View Post
Hey, ain't there some law against passing bad money? This stuff ain't backed by anything and I hear the issuer may soon be deadbeating on its obligations. Anyone checked those coins to see if they say they are legal tender for all debts, public and private? Maybe that is why so many banks don't want to take 'em?
yeah and even worse, is the fact that if you do try the 'death by fire' method I discussed a couple weeks ago in here and literally BURN the rolled labeling off these coins for bagging purposes, they will tend to discolor. And now people are asking if they are real ones due to the fact they no longer look gold!
Old Jun 27, 11, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gpapadop View Post
>>>>>>Sorry to sound like a Marathon Man post...

The ever growing coins thread is like my daily crack fix
And I am one of those South American drug cartels
Old Jun 27, 11, 9:49 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Since you and Washington are into burning money, have you considered switching over to hawking the "'new" silver dollars?

Normally you burn pennies, but if your bank won't take gold dollars, don't get heated up - just heat up the dollars!

http://chemistry.about.com/od/chemis...ilverpenny.htm

Not to worry, you can always turn the silver dollars back to gold dollars with that blowtorch you always wanted to buy.

Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
yeah and even worse, is the fact that if you do try the 'death by fire' method I discussed a couple weeks ago in here and literally BURN the rolled labeling off these coins for bagging purposes, they will tend to discolor. And now people are asking if they are real ones due to the fact they no longer look gold!
Old Jun 27, 11, 11:07 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Everything else: Dirt
Originally Posted by QL_714 View Post
I was with you on this one until I looked it up. Chase has something called "Non-ATM Cash Fee". It is 3% of the purchase when you use it to get cash with out a PIN. An exampled they give is at bank branch tellers.
I know Paypal started charging this a few years back to eliminate a loophole on their card. You used to be able to ask for a "cash advance" at a bank (which would run the card like it would for any cash advance). In the process, you would also collect the 1.5% cash back on the "purchase" as Paypal did not differentiate between cash advances and purchases on its debit card. Essentially, you were earning money by withdrawing money. Needless to say, that loophole was finally closed. I'd imagine that is why Chase does the same thing.
Old Jun 28, 11, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy View Post
Since you and Washington are into burning money, have you considered switching over to hawking the "'new" silver dollars?

Normally you burn pennies, but if your bank won't take gold dollars, don't get heated up - just heat up the dollars!

http://chemistry.about.com/od/chemis...ilverpenny.htm

Not to worry, you can always turn the silver dollars back to gold dollars with that blowtorch you always wanted to buy.
hahahahahahaha

and you could buy it thru an airline mall and get 5x miles!

Originally Posted by MaineFlyer16 View Post
I know Paypal started charging this a few years back to eliminate a loophole on their card. You used to be able to ask for a "cash advance" at a bank (which would run the card like it would for any cash advance). In the process, you would also collect the 1.5% cash back on the "purchase" as Paypal did not differentiate between cash advances and purchases on its debit card. Essentially, you were earning money by withdrawing money. Needless to say, that loophole was finally closed. I'd imagine that is why Chase does the same thing.
venmo
Old Jun 28, 11, 7:50 am

Programs: WN Rapid Rewards, Delta Skymiles
Not sure if it's entirely relevant to the discussion but in a 1000+ page thread about dollar coins I'm sure at least one of you will find this interesting

http://www.npr.org/2011/06/28/137394...t-nobody-wants
Old Jun 28, 11, 7:51 am

From NPR:

Old Jun 28, 11, 7:56 am

In case you missed the first two posts.

Old Jun 28, 11, 8:13 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
Thanks for the post. I saw some of my coins sitting on the shelf. It's good to see old friends.

MM, I did not see any burnt ones so I guess yours are still circulating.
Old Jun 28, 11, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by QL_714 View Post
In case you missed the first two posts.

This is good news. Means the mint won't be running out of these anytime soon Hopefully it means this purchase program will be extended past 2016.
Old Jun 28, 11, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by scubadiver View Post
I called. They will send me a form. Resolution will take 4-6 weeks! Unclear if resolution will be in my favor. Grrrrr!
With one exception, I haven't heard of anyone having trouble with the mint. In fact, the one time they shorted me, they were so easy going about it that there would have been nothing to stop someone from taking a few boxes out and claiming they were shorted.

Originally Posted by PatMike View Post
I opened a Citi savings account for 20K AA miles with a $25K deposit from my Chase United Debit Visa card that was SUPPOSED to be processed as a non-PIN debit card transaction (purchase) that would give me 25K United miles on top of the 20K AA miles for the Citi account. Citi processed it as a cash advance and Chase charged me a 3% !!!! fee = $750. Went all the way up to the executive office, but no dice in reversing it. Chase has been VERY VERY good to me so I don't want to rock the boat. $750 is a drop in the bucket with all of my credit card churning, coins, etc...

Yes, $750 - ouch !... but I'm still ahead $1,250 in coins !
I noticed this story upthread. You made it sound like they sent you a couple of thousand dollars extra and you didn't tell them about it. Did I misinterpret it?

Mike
Old Jun 28, 11, 10:26 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by mikeef View Post
In fact, the one time they shorted me, they were so easy going about it that there would have been nothing to stop someone from taking a few boxes out and claiming they were shorted.
Nothing to immediately "stop" it, but there are at least two things that would make it more difficult than you imagine. That, and it would be a Federal crime if you were caught.
Old Jun 28, 11, 10:43 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
was going to just deposit the coins back in the bank, but found myself without any $1s going to the airport this morning so i took a roll and used coins to tip the shuttle driver.
Old Jun 28, 11, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by mikeef View Post
I noticed this story upthread. You made it sound like they sent you a couple of thousand dollars extra and you didn't tell them about it. Did I misinterpret it?

Mike
I thought he was saying that after the hefty fee he was still ahead that in rewards he earned by buying coins. I must have miinterpreted what he was saying.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: